BBQ Brethren "Love/Hate" Throwdown!

Also remember the various kicks mom went on, like no salt or no sugar or no flour, absolutely none in the house! I wish I had as good a story as the fish/eggplant story. Laughed out loud when I read that!

My mom also was a great cook. She was Southern traditional mostly but had no problems making those dishes my California raised dad preferred as well. My dad was a good short order cook as well having done that as a job early in his life.

I am screwed for this one... My Mum was always an awsome cook and I ate everything... well, almost everything. I hated Mushrooms, but we've just done a Mushroom TD which I got close in.. And then there was broad beans, but I STILL hate them so I'm not cooking them... I'm gonna go up to my Mum and Dads AGAIN this weekend. I'll ask Mum if she remembers anything I particularly disliked.

I'm hoping she says "Wagyu Rib Eye" :becky:

Cheers!

Bill

Wow, looks like Bob, Guerry, AND Bill won't be able to play in this one. It might just be between me a Caseydog. I knew there would be some advantage to having been a fussy eater in my youth. One of my favorite stories was when my brother got home from his very first day of school. My mother was in the living room talking with a friend when he came in and she asked him what he learned in school that day. His response was, "I learned that those grilled cheese sandwiches you make are supposed to be brown, not black."

Yep, sounds like it'll be a fight to the death between blackened grilled cheese sandwiches and mushy, wall-tenderized fish. This could be a classic.

. His response was, "I learned that those grilled cheese sandwiches you make are supposed to be brown, not black."

Gore you owe me a new keyboard.... I just blew beer ALL OVER EVERYTHING...:-D
:laugh::laugh::rofl::laugh::laugh:

Mom would tell me that "the black was charcoal and good for you as it helped the liver function."

OK I'm going back to my corner to lurk some more.....

^^^ My Mum always said burnt toast was charcoal and good for your kidneys!!!!

Damn, those stories are world wide!

Gore you owe me a new keyboard.... I just blew beer ALL OVER EVERYTHING...:-D
:laugh::laugh::rofl::laugh::laugh:

Mom would tell me that "the black was charcoal and good for you as it helped the liver function."

OK I'm going back to my corner to lurk some more.....

^^^ My Mum always said burnt toast was charcoal and good for your kidneys!!!!

Damn, those stories are world wide!

My mom said the black was good for cleaning your teeth :rolleyes:

Dang! I didn't know eating charcoal was good for sooooo many body parts. This is gonna be good watchin'. So this means since I did not like brunt to a crisp food as a kid I can enter........ Oh wait......I STILL don't like burnt food.

Well, I reckon I'll start it off. There were actually only a couple of things Mom made that I just plain hated. I did have my other dislikes, but these two caused me to miss many nights of Ed Sullivan, or worse...The Flintstones! Remember when they were prime time? Anyway, the first dish was liver, and I still hate it, and ain't farkin eating it. The second one was................................HAM:icon_blush:! Yup, as a child it was the pits. She made it two ways, one, as a ham steak, and two, as a ham, cheese, and potato casserole. Given a choice, it was the casserole because there was less ham on my plate:thumb: I also hated the usual side which was butter beans. Don't remember having a problem with the flavor so much as the way they felt in my mouth, just kinda dry.
By junior high, ham was my friend and now it's one of my favorites however it's served.
Started with a small, fresh ham.
ham2.jpg

Made up a curing brine and pumped the ham to 10% of its green weight, and the soaked it in the brine for five days at 38*
ham3.jpg

Heavily smoked with hickory
ham1.jpg

15 hours later, brought out at an IT of 150*
ham4.jpg

After an overnight chill
ham5.jpg

Grilled up a slice for lunch. I also grilled up a peach with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.
ham7.jpg

Served with butter beans, tomato slices(both out of our backyard garden) and the grilled peach. Gonna have it again for supper, and will be frying a slice up with my eggs tomorrow morning. Love the ham! Please use this shot, and thanks for looking.
ham8.jpg

Wow, that's a great one. I used to hate ham too. Absolutely beautiful job! I still hate those beans though. :oops:

Bear with me. I was looking for this video and was only able to find two version. Unfortunately, one is a compilation. Skip on over to 10:48 and play from there.

YouTube - ‪Lamanpalooza - Trout Fishing in America 5‬‏

While there were a lot of things I hated as a kid that I love now, there is one particular food that I hated above all, and that was fish. Growing up in Arizona some forty+ years ago, you would think I could have avoided it, but my parents came from elsewhere and absolutely loved fish. You have to realize that the fish at that time in Arizona was either old or it was frozen, and it was ALWAYS filled with bones. Since the time I could be trusted to eat with a fork, I remember distinctly being told before every meal of fish, "... and don't swallow any bones because they will get caught in your throat, AND YOU WILL DIE!" Seriously, I thought that every meal of fish was a flirtation with death! And, I was absolutely terrified because each bite I took had about 5000 bones in it, all just hoping for the chance to lodge in my windpipe and do me in! Then at the end of dinner my parents would complain because the fish didn't taste very good. No surprise there. It was probably caught a week ago Thursday before being shipped to Arizona in 110* heat .... and yet they kept on buying and cooking fish. Even at the age of 5 I thought this was irrational behavior. I swear they were only serving fish to do me in, probably wanted my Twinkie wrapper collection. When I moved away from home, I never ate fish, at least until some twenty years ago when I moved to Nova Scotia. That was when I discovered that fish tastes good and more importantly they bred the bones out of them! Now we regularly cook fish, especially salmon on the grill. I season this with Foil Hat Rub, Lawry's, pepper, parsley, and brush with EVOO.

IMG_7723.jpg

I cook it hot and fast, between 2 and 3 minutes per side.

IMG_7725.jpg

and lift it to a serving plate

IMG_7739.jpg

Don't be fooled! This is NOT a fork!

IMG_7737.jpg

This is a great class rendition of the same song.

YouTube - ‪Boiled Okra & Spinach by KAES 3rd Graders‬‏

Thanks for listening.

Memories! My Mom used to tell me the same thing about the bones in fish. Every meal of fish was a dance with death! The salmon looks fantastic!

Back