BBQ Brethren "Let's Do it Aussie Style" Throwdown! (Entries and Quality *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

My aussie Throwdown entry!!

This was my first cook of a leg of lamb. saw it at Sams Club and could not pass it up.

IMG_5929_zps256a33ed.jpg

IMG_5907_zps0dd22b3c.jpg

I received many recommendations from the Brethren here on how to cook this 6 pounder!!!
This is what I did!!

Fresh rosemary and Garlic
IMG_5922_zpse5283360.jpg

IMG_5923_zps18643bcf.jpg

Rubbed with EVOO, Kosher Salt,Corse Black Pepper and SM Peppered Cow. Tossed in Potatos and Onions. Rubbed down with Lemon And Honey While i was cooking it!!!
IMG_5940_zpsb9d33126.jpg

Finished it off by searing it on the Weber kettle!! 135ish with the Thermapen!!
IMG_5947_zpscf363898.jpg

Aint that pretty!!
IMG_5954_zpscfc136c5.jpg

My wife made some sides!! Excellent!! Money Shot!!
IMG_5956_zpscb97ec85.jpg

Thanks for looking!! Been along time since i entered a Throwdown!! This was FUN!!!

Looks like you nailed it,what did you think of the taste.?

Loved it!!
Just dropped a small chunk of pacan wood in the kamado with hardwood briquets. Cooked it at 230 for about 3 hrs. I also tossed some fresh rosemary in the fire. Once it was up to temp I put it on the weber kettle just to get the right sear!!!

The flavor was awesome!!! Not overcooked or oversmoked !!

The garlic and rosemary really is the fine touch to lamb!!

100% cooked on the bbq!
Snags!

It all starts with the Aussie snag, wild Aussie pepper sausages
brethAussieTD6_zps91208678.jpg

Lay a little of the worlds best chili jam on some pastry
brethAussieTD7_zpsce522272.jpg

and the snag gets rolled up in the pastry
brethAussieTD8_zpsc511115c.jpg

to make an Aussie sausage roll!
brethAussieTD9_zpse62dcce0.jpg

Baked!
brethAussieTD13_zpsd3b75884.jpg

Starter is served!
brethAussieTD14_zps6bfd93b4.jpg

brethAussieTD15_zpsa6e71299.jpg

Another essential for the Aussie BBQ...'ROO!
brethAussieTD5_zps4857a1dd.jpg

Shallots and turnips
brethAussieTD4_zps48bbec7f.jpg

a shoulder of lamb
BrethAussieTD1_zpsd39b9e8d.jpg

Garlic, rosemary and anchovy filets, rolled up and inserted into cuts in the lamb shoulder
BrethAusieTD2_zps211314bb.jpg

with a smear on the outer
brethAussieTD3_zps69c5ed98.jpg

A platter full of lamb and veges- ENTRY SHOT!
brethAussieTD10_zpsf6b8f6e8.jpg

Internal shot of juicy lamb with savory herbs and garlic and salty anchovy pockets
brethAussieTD11_zpsc092b0ea.jpg

Plated with mint peas and all the trimmings, and that is the Kangaroo in the front!
brethAussieTD12_zpsbdb574c2.jpg

Now I need a nap...big time.
Hope you enjoyed it!

Last edited:
Re: IN PROGRESS -> BBQ Brethren "Let's Do it Aussie Style" Throwdown! (Entries and Quality *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Looks like an awesome plate im intersted in the sausage and pastry did you do any pre cook on the sausage please give more on the prep and cook thank you

Sent from my LG-MS870 using Tapatalk 2

Wow, there are some very creative and beautiful looking dishes on here, this is gonna be a tough call. I'm kinda feeling like the guy that showed up at the gunfight with a knife, lol.

And just in the spirit of friendship and sportsanship, I'll work on developing a thicker skin for all you farkers out there!:doh:

Gawd, what am I getting myself into........the old saying comes to mind......."be careful what you wish for".....:loco:.

Good luck all,

KC

Wow, there are some very creative and beautiful looking dishes on here, this is gonna be a tough call. I'm kinda feeling like the guy that showed up at the gunfight with a knife, lol.

And just in the spirit of friendship and sportsanship, I'll work on developing a thicker skin for all you farkers out there!:doh:

Gawd, what am I getting myself into........the old saying comes to mind......."be careful what you wish for".....:loco:.

Good luck all,

KC

I recommended you post because I really LIKED that plate! Nothing wrong with posting a competitive dish to one it may have duplicated. Besides, I never pay attention to CD. :thumb:

My aussie Throwdown entry!!

My wife made some sides!! Excellent!! Money Shot!!
IMG_5956_zpscb97ec85.jpg

Thanks for looking!! Been along time since i entered a Throwdown!! This was FUN!!!

Looks like you totally nailed it!

I've studded with garlic & rosemary before, but had never heard of the honey & lemon glaze/baste. Something I'll have to try.

Looks like you totally nailed it!

I've studded with garlic & rosemary before, but had never heard of the honey & lemon glaze/baste. Something I'll have to try.

Its just something I saw looking at all the recipes everyone sent me. I forget what one suggested that, so I do apologize to the person who deserves the credit for that one. The Honey came from Toast. Yep, Just one of the many items He has shipped me since we became Friends!! Thanks Toast!!! I will cook this again for sure!!

Not a TD entry.

:oops: This is my shame, not cooked outside but inside, in the oven.

Wasn't able to get it done outside in time for an official TD entry -- here is my Assie meal. Split pea soup and damper. The damper is made with dark ale instead of milk. Is this how damper is supposed to look? It was really soft and light inside and the crust was beautifully crunchy, reminiscent of saltine crackers in texture and taste.

P1010645_zpse67f7b81.jpg

P1010649_zps0a24d335.jpg

P1010654_zps6179d060.jpg

Um, Buccs? How did you manage to quote yourself from page seven if you hadn't, um, posted, like, you know?

Um, Buccs? How did you manage to quote yourself from page seven if you hadn't, um, posted, like, you know?

I quoted from q talk, not the previous page...but thanks dude!
I need coffee!
:laugh:
At least, I hope I did:doh:

MS2SB -- those lamb chops look delicious, I like that you prepared them two ways. Did you have a favourite? I've not thought to use lemon zest in a meat marinade or rub but I think it's a good idea and I like what you did. Good carrots, too, I don't remember seeing Bill's post. Don't eat shrimp, sorry I can't comment on them. The rest looks delicious!

A few hopped out which seemed a little strange but what do I know I was still feeling a bit hung over.

IMG_4751_zps1b0c2051.jpg

IMG_4759_zps77ad29e7.jpg

thanks for looking

:laugh: I love your humour, Oldyote! That looks like a fantastic hangover breakfast, love the idea especially for overnight company. And tell us, what does Vegemite taste like? Anything like a cross between beer and soy sauce?

Fresh rosemary and Garlic
IMG_5922_zpse5283360.jpg

IMG_5923_zps18643bcf.jpg

I LOVE the way this looks, what a great way to distribute flavour. Nice crust on the 'over embers photo' and the whole meal looks delicious. What was it like when you ate a piece of lamb that had the hunks of garlic and rosemary in it? Was it powerful or did the time smoking mellow and blend the flavours into the lamb?

Back