-> BBQ Brethren "I've Got a Bone to Pick With You!" Throwdown! (Entries and Quality *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

hmm...cook thread got me 0 replies, maybe this'll get me in the zero club :blah:
since I happened to cooked these up (before I saw the TD theme), here's my entry:
Spares, trimmed up St. Louis style...

Looks good to me! Where did you post the cook thread?
thanks,
Jed

Official TD Entry - An Ode to Bones

For this TD I thought that I would try and demonstrate all the wonderful things that can be done with bones. So I present to you, an Ode to Bones.

I started with some veal & beef soup bones,

Coated them lightly in oil and then put into a roasting pan

I put them onto the Traeger at 400* for about an hour and then added some onion, celery, carrot, garlic, shallot and tomato paste and roasted for another 30 minutes.

Moved them into a pressure cooker and covered with cold water and simmered for about 3-hours. This created about 5-qts of a fairly strong stock. But it wasn't strong enough for my purposes! I strained the stock and then moved to a cast iron dutch oven and simmered on low for another 2-3 hours until I had about 1-qt left. Now I had a very flavorful stock, but still not strong enough! Next up it went into a saucier and simmered for another 1-2 hours until I had 1 cup of highly concentrated demi glace left.

This went into the fridge overnight to cool. The next day I rendered down some bacon and used the fat to cook down some shallots and then added 2C of red wine which I put on to reduce by half.

I then browned some shiitake mushrooms in clarified butter

And added those to the reducing wine

I then pulled the cooled demi glace from the fridge, which had turned into a very firm jello mold

and added that to the reduced down wine and mushrooms

While the sauce was coming together I got started on the next phase of the meal, appetizers and main course. 4 very nice marrow bones and a 24oz bone in rib-eye steak.

I filled my amaz'n smoker half full of their pitmasters blend, lit both sides and put it into the bottom of the traeger and the put the bones & steak on to cold smoke for about 1 1/2 hours.

Next I lit up a chimney full of mesquite lump in the 22.5 inch OTS and seasoned both the marrow bones and steak with my steak seasoning (kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, cumin, garlic powder & cayenne)

The bones went onto the OTS and roasted for about 30 minutes, while they were cooking I put together a little salad of parsley, shallot capers, lemon juice, Aussie EVOO & black pepper.

I sliced up a small sourdough loaf

brushed with clarified butter and grilled.

The bones done roasting

And now time for the appetizer, bone marrow crostini

Dear god were these good! The richness of the marrow was offset with the acidity and freshness of the salad to form a really perfect crostini. This was the first time I had ever made roasted marrow and something that I will definitely do again.

Let's not forget about the main event, 24oz bone in rib-eye cooked over mesquite lump for about 5-minutes per side. I got a beautiful crust and a perfect medium rare.

Then it was time to plate it all up. Bone-In Ribeye, marrow crostini, bacon mashed potatoes and a red wine demi glace reduction!

Voting pic

A touch heavy, but a really rich and satisfying meal that fully demonstrated all of the flavor you can get from bones.

Thanks for looking.

"dave" that's quite a cook! nice job.

really well done demonstration of what can be done with just bones.

it doesn't surprise me that is was a bit heavy though, i'm no chef, but i think you're only 'sposed to use like a tablespoon of the demi gelatin. :shock: i like the way you think though!

"dave" that's quite a cook! nice job.

really well done demonstration of what can be done with just bones.

it doesn't surprise me that is was a bit heavy though, i'm no chef, but i think you're only 'sposed to use like a tablespoon of the demi gelatin. :shock: i like the way you think though!

I think you're right, but damn was that sauce good! I think next time I make this I'll portion the concentrate up into an ice cube tray and freeze.

Woah that's a lot of demi-glace! I bet that was one flavorful sauce no doubt.

King Henry VIII's Drum

Here is my official big bone entry, please.

I call this my King Henry VIII's Drum, because it was quite the feast.

So how about a nearly three pound turkey drum? Rats..., I completely blew my plated pic, but I'll share what I got. I first flavor brined this specimen with my red salt water, then hit it with celery seed and pepper.

And out to the grill:

I insist on eating my turkey drums good and cold, so I made this several hours before eating.

My specific entry shot, please

Back