BBQ Brethren "Declaration of Meatloaf-Dependence" Throwdown!

WOW....great lookin loafs, both Red and Byte!
Interesting takes on a simple traditional dish!

Personally, I like my meatloaf (and encourage all to vote on) a much more simple and traditional loaf. Say, oh I don't know.....like bacon wrapped or something. Maybe some toothpicks.

.......just sayin.:wink::laugh:

I believe this counts as meatloaf, I verified this by Asking Bigabyte in the Woodpile.
spam-cooked.jpg

But, I am entering this picture of meat loaf...
close.jpg

The "MEGA CAJUN" Grilled Meatloaf!

Here is my entry for the "Declaration of Meatloaf-Dependence" Throwdown!

I am calling it the MEGA CAJUN for short.

It is fashioned after the New Orleans culinary Trinity of onion(I used both green and white), green pepper, and celery. For the MEAT part, it is stuffed with over 1.5 pound of ground chuck, over one pound of fresh ground pork, and large link of chopped boudin sausage. Spice mix was blended with black pepper, white pepper, bay leaves, cayenne, cumin, a dash of nutmeg, worcestershire, and garlic. First the vegetables were rough chopped with a large size. This allows for distinct flavor differences when eating through it after it has cooked. One bite has onion, next one a little celery, next one green pepper, etc. The vegetables were sauteed New Orleans style with a 1/2 stick of butter and some worcestershire. After they started to soften up, they are hit with more richness in the form of 1/2 cup of evaporated milk and a little ketchup. The evaporated milk adds loads of moisture and flavor to the game. It ooooozzzesss out when cooking, mixing with the meat juices and sinfully basting the loaf as it does so. Think of the taste like a soft melted cheese with meat juices. It helps to form a delectable rich crust. I hand formed the MEGA CAJUN on a 13"x9" inch pan ,and placed it on the Weber at 375. Placed some pecan wood next to the coal basket for a light smoke. Took about an hour for the alchemy to happen. Served it with mac and cheese augratined on the grill and a ceaser salad. This was the richest and juciest meatloaf I have made to date.. and I am quite proud to offer her up in the throwdown!

Thanks for looking! Remember to vote for Smiter Q's MEGA CAJUN! :thumb:

The Ingredient list:
1ingredients.jpg

The very flavorful spice mix, sauteed vegetables, condensed milk, worcestershire, and some of the meat as we begin to mix
4vegmix.jpg

MEGA CAJUN fully formed and ready to start. Measuring a whopping 13"x6"x2"!!
The pecan wood was placed under the grill to start a light smoke. Placed on the grill at 375F

6onboard.jpg

An hour of cooking magic, and the MEGA CAJUN has completion!
Nice crust on the outside, incredible vegetable goodness, superiorly moist with a cheesy like ooze around the edges!
EXACTLY what an amazing meatloaf should offer!

7hourlater.jpg

10Io.jpg

Lastly... the MEGA CAJUN entry shot. Incredibly juicy, spicy, and rich!
As always... Thanks for looking!! :-D

13GOOD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning! Well, What Have You Got? (A Tale of Viking Meatloaf)

Well, there's egg and bacon...
r_IMG_0739.jpg

egg sausage and bacon...
r_IMG_0744.jpg

egg and spam...
r_IMG_0745.jpg

egg bacon and spam...
r_IMG_0749.jpg

egg bacon sausage and spam...
r_IMG_0752.jpg

spam bacon sausage and spam...
r_IMG_0754.jpg

spam egg spam spam bacon and spam...
r_IMG_0762.jpg

spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam.
r_IMG_0763.jpg

SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!
r_IMG_0766.jpg

SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!
r_IMG_0767.jpg

LOVELY SPAM!
r_IMG_0771.jpg

LOVELY SPAM!
r_IMG_0772.jpg

SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!
r_IMG_0773.jpg

SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!
r_IMG_0776.jpg

LOVELY SPAM! WONDERFUL SPAM!
r_IMG_0780.jpg

LOVELY SPAM! WONDERFUL SPAM!
r_IMG_0782.jpg

SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!
r_IMG_0785.jpg

I thought you already entered this one, remember the duck loaf, so you can have more than one entry in a "special" TD?:confused: Looks great though, hope you didn't add additional salt though!

I think I saw that recipe in the latest Betty Crocker cookbook. How'd you like it? It looks pretty good.

Yes, Special TD's allow multiple entries. I like such things, it makes me feel young again.

It was jam packed with flavor! Practically oozing with a wild array of tastes and textures. It was rather salty though, even though I used a low salt rub. Maybe I should have put a potato in it to draw out the salt.

I'll send you a slice if you would like to know how it tastes.

No need to send me any. I'm cutting back on my Spam intake. As far as cutting back on the salt, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the Spam? I thought salt was the first ingredient.

No need to send me any. I'm cutting back on my Spam intake. As far as cutting back on the salt, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the Spam? I thought salt was the first ingredient.
I've been thinking about it (granted a bit fleetingly), and I think it was 100% the fault of the Tomato Sauce, which when I think about it is kind of salty. I don't know how many recall the Spammy Dean experiment, but I am positive one of the Spammy Dean fatties was a blend of SPAM and Jimmy Dean sausage and it was not too salty. Smoked SPAM itself is also not "too" salty, not like what I had last night. So, since the only other ingredients were Egg, Tomato Sauce....oh yeah....and Saltines!:doh:

I've been thinking about it (granted a bit fleetingly), and I think it was 100% the fault of the Tomato Sauce, which when I think about it is kind of salty. I don't know how many recall the Spammy Dean experiment, but I am positive one of the Spammy Dean fatties was a blend of SPAM and Jimmy Dean sausage and it was not too salty. Smoked SPAM itself is also not "too" salty, not like what I had last night. So, since the only other ingredients were Egg, Tomato Sauce....oh yeah....and Saltines!:doh:

Saltines? That is soooooo 80s.

Panko bread crumbs are the new binder. I saw it on FoodTV. They cost more, so they must be better. I was thinking of using crushed communion wafers for my Mama Mia Margherita Meatloaf, but I already have one foot in hell -- I really need to take a step back from the edge.

And, notice how I just put a plug in for my Mama Mia Margherita Meatloaf, that really was totally awesome. :wink:

CD

Saltines? That is soooooo 80s.

Panko bread crumbs are the new binder. I saw it on FoodTV. They cost more, so they must be better. I was thinking of using crushed communion wafers for my Mama Mia Margherita Meatloaf, but I already have one foot in hell -- I really need to take a step back from the edge.

And, notice how I just put a plug in for my Mama Mia Margherita Meatloaf, that really was totally awesome. :wink:

CD
80's Meatloaf you say???

Meatloaf.jpg

Okay, I just couldn't stomach the green SPAMloaf. I'm gonna' help a brother out, even though he's competing with me. That's just the kind of guy I am.

Besides, my Mama Mia Margherita Meatloaf (another shameless plug) isn't too salty, so this is a low-risk favor. :heh:

CD

Attachments

• r_IMG_0785.jpg
    r_IMG_0785.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 29
Back