BBQ Brethren "Cooked With Booze" Throwdown!

Only if the photos were taken in WHENSOWHATEVER SOME TIME IN THE FUTURE :twitch:

OK, good, cuz I haven't taken them yet and don't know when I will.

So...if I fill my stomach and bladder with Scotch, does that make me a great big Haggis?

Yes.

Gentlemen, please allow me to introduce BigaHaggis.

:heh:

drunk-kangroo2.jpg

Oh Mannnnnnn this is gonna be good!

I was just thinking if someone were to get some sausage and fashion out a fattie that was hollow, maybe bacon-wrap it, cook it up and then fill it with beer or something.... Naw, on second thought that is just stupid. :tsk:

Cajun Pot Roast Braised in Wine

I couldn't resist the opportunity to cook with some booze, but this is my first throwdown, so please go easy on me.

So, here's a chuck roast, tied and ready to cook.
picture.php

Some onions, garlic, and bell peppers, sauteed with cajun spices.
picture.php

One bottle of white wine...pretty tasty stuff really.
picture.php

The wine added to the veggies for the braising liquid.
picture.php

Here's the roast braising in the veggies, wine, and chicken stock.
picture.php

The roast sliced and drenched in the gravy, which was made by reducing the braising liquid.
picture.php

Cajun Pot Roast Braised in White Wine, with roasted new potatoes.
picture.php

Hopefully I haven't broken too many throwdown rules. Either of the last two pics will be fine for the money shot. Thanks for looking. :-D

picture.php

Looks and sounds great El Pistolero... :clap2: I can imagine eating the whole plate and asking for more.

Welcome to the TD's and hope you have as much fun as the rest of us. :mrgreen:

So I was at Sam's Club last night looking for some meat to infuse with booze. I saw a bag of fresh frozen, gutted and scaled Tilapia. I figured "what the fark"? Might as well do something with that. The TD's lately seem to be revolving around fish anyway.

I started the fish on the hot side of the grill...
R_IMG_1359.jpg

Then I finished it up on the cooler side.
R_IMG_1361.jpg

It came out pretty good, but the weather got rather chitty so my lighting isn't the best.
R_IMG_1366.jpg

R_IMG_1362.jpg

I figured I better have some vegetables too.
R_IMG_1369.jpg

R_IMG_1372.jpg

Now for the farking LIQUOR!:whoo: I made a sauce with some Butter, Brown Sugar, a healthy dose of Southern Comfort (real healthy), and some Dijon Mustard. Don't worry, this sauce was home made and did not come from a jar or a can.
R_IMG_1374.jpg

It was pretty good.
R_IMG_1378.jpg

I couldn't let Chris have all the fun, so I made something that could be entered in more than one throwdown also. In case you haven't read this before, my wonderful wife asked if she could pick something up for me for the Throwdown to cook. I thought that sounded like a wonderful idea. When I got home, I found that she picked up some some beautiful filets. I have no idea what kind of fish it was, but they were really thick and meaty. The bones were big too, so no chance of swallowing one of those and dying. I seasoned them up for cooking with some Foil Hat Rub.

IMG_4797-1.jpg

I figured this was such a special fish, that I'd make a special sauce for it also. Here are most of the ingredients. I actually decided against the cinnamon and used cocoa instead. I also borrowed a clear thickener from my wife. Sure beat the cornstarch I was going to use.

IMG_4811.jpg

Note on the far left is a can of Guinness. That is also some wonderful homemade cider vinegar. It's very smooth and has a bit of alcohol in it too. When I checked the definition of "booze," a few dictionaries had beer listed as the first example. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the sauce I made, but it was very dark and clear. I was very lazy taking pictures, although I did get a picture of a fish drawn by the girls. I think they were feeling the Throwdown spirit.

IMG_4806.jpg

In fact, I didn't even take any picture of the fish while it was cooking. The cooking times were varied as in addition to the filets, there was also a whole fish, head and all. It took a very long time to get this to cook properly. I actually cooked this fish for two full hours with oak for smoke. It wasn't done, so I ended up foiling it for nearly two more hours. Finally I said to heck with this. I took that fish out of the foil, sauced it and threw it on for another 15 minutes or so. I know you all like to see fish heads, so I'm using the whole fish, head and all, as my entry pic. I hope you're not too disgusted.

IMG_4821.jpg

The sauce must've been really unique as this tasted like no other fish I have ever had before. It was really good though, as you can see from this picture.

IMG_4831.jpg

It was so good, in fact, that I even went back and ate the head. :shock:

Back