THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P1210032.jpg

I am pretty sure this is the shot I want to submit.

nice, jeorge! it's looking like an ohio sweep! :biggrin:

Master and I prepared a typical weekend breakfast. Master made some bread that I grilled to make toast. The steak and eggs rest on a bed of grated potatoes.

IMG_4776.jpg

Note that even though the parsley was not smoked, it still tasted great!

IMG_0772-1.jpg

Use the last picture.

So I says to my boys, I say “Boys! how are we going to win this breakfast throwdown thing?!” And my boys say, “Daddy! how is anybody, and I mean anybody, going to win a breakfast throwdown without cooking a fatty?” And I says “…boys! you know there are going to be a hundred old fellas turn in fattys like you’ve never seen!” and then my boy (the smart one) says “Daddy?! why don’t you throwdown a sausage and cheese and green chili fatty kolache and see how that fixes ‘em”. And I says [wiping a tear from my eye], “I love you son”

We got the fatty ready to roll.

DSC_0284.jpg

Here’s a picture of the fatty getting ready to hit the smoker. We had to keep them skinny in order to wrap them in the kolache dough.

DSC_0286.jpg

Here’s the fattys (skinnys) resting and ready for the dough.

DSC_0292.jpg

And my lovely daughter showing off the kolache dough as its rising.

DSC_0287.jpg

A sausage meets its resting place.

DSC_0293.jpg

So while I’m getting ready to throw the kolaches in the oven, my other boy (the really smart one) says “Daddy?! how you going to win a breakfast BBQ throwdown with the dad gum oven, isn't this a bbq contest?” and I says “Boy!, mind your business”. Then my other boy (the one that can’t talk yet) says to me “ba, ba, ba, pssssht” and I knew he was right. So, I fired up the dutch oven ‘cause we was rolling ‘old school’ for the breakfast throwdown and if we're going to win it, we're going to win it with fire.

So what you got under that lid mister?

DSC_0297.jpg

And I says to them boys and my precious girl, “kids! I think we hit the jackpot!”.

DSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

Mr. contest judge – I respectfully present you the High Q Sausage Cheese & Green Chili Fatty Kolache. Please use the following photo as our official entry.

DSC_0301.jpg

And yes it’s not a kolache, it’s a klobasnek. I ain’t Czech but I know a few.

Last edited:
Master and I prepared a typical weekend breakfast. Master made some bread that I grilled to make toast. The steak and eggs rest on a bed of grated potatoes.

IMG_4776.jpg

Note that even though the parsley was not smoked, it still tasted great!

IMG_0772-1.jpg

Use the last picture.

That's what I been waiting to see!

:biggrin:leanza, I am with you on this, that is absolutely awsome!!!!!!!!!!! WOW is my best response. Would love to come over to that house for breakfast.

Last edited:
G - The recipe that I used is pretty similar to the one found here: http://www.recipezaar.com/Homemade-Sausage-Kolaches-37793

The dough is pretty forgiving. I let it rise twice before I wrap the sausages. The next time I try it, I am going to wrap the sausage after the first rise and let it rise the 2nd time with the sausage in the dough. The version I cooked tonight came out nice and light but I would like to see the effect of changing the sequence.

A couple of other tips I discovered: I recommend that you butter the rolls generously, particulary if you are going to cook them in a dutch oven. I must have missed one and it didn't brown much at all without the butter. If you are going to use a fatty for the sausage, keep it skinny - something about the same size as typical sausage link. If you have any leftover, they will freeze just fine.

G - The recipe that I used is pretty similar to the one found here: http://www.recipezaar.com/Homemade-Sausage-Kolaches-37793

The dough is pretty forgiving. I let it rise twice before I wrap the sausages. The next time I try it, I am going to wrap the sausage after the first rise and let it rise the 2nd time with the sausage in the dough. The version I cooked tonight came out nice and light but I would like to see the effect of changing the sequence.

A couple of other tips I discovered: I recommend that you butter the rolls generously, particularly if you are going to cook them in a dutch oven. I must have missed one and it didn't brown much at all without the butter. If you are going to use a fatty for the sausage, keep it skinny - something about the same size as typical sausage link. If you have any leftover, they will freeze just fine.

Thanks! Looks pretty straightforward. I'll give it a try.

Back