BBQ adversity...

when he discovered this mess, he said the IT was 100.

I was just questioning how long it sat there at 100, thats all....

its all good, my mistake for throwing people off, crazy day at work, when i would rather be BBQing

Wow. I thought my last butt smoke was bad. I feel for you. It sounds like Mr. Murphy called his extended clan to visit your house.

I agree with everyone else here. They will (as long as they didn't "turn" after being out of the WSM) be the best butts your ever did.

You gotta let us know!

For clarification, there was no meat in the WSM when it blew over, so all that got wasted was a load of charcoal. Actually, it didn't turn out that bad. After fighting the wind for nine hours, I ran out of fire so I pulled the butts off and probed with the pink Thermapen. Two were already a bit over 200 and felt ready so I pulled out the bones and coolered them. The other 4 ranged from 195 down to 180, so I stuck them in the oven at 295 for an hour and they were all around 205. Threw them in a cooler and took them to church. After an hour's rest, I pulled four of the six and fed everybody on about 3.5. One was a bit overcooked and I had to chop part of it, but the others were fine. We were serving baked potatos and/or slider buns so we weren't using all that much per serving. The reviews were great and lots of people came back in the kitchen to ask how I managed to produce such a wonderful product. Even the other BBQ enthusiasts in the congregation were very complimentary. After I gave away as many to-go boxes as I could, I ended up with about two and a half 9 X 9 pans of meat. I texted some of the people I worked with and told them I was providing lunch today. After it was all over, I felt like I had been in a cudgel fight with a Marine recruit, but I'm starting to recover. Oh, yeah, I called Thermoworks and the gave me a RA number to send back the Thermoturd for repair. For those of us in Texas, I used HEB Carolina sauce and it is really good as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
All's well that ends well. :thumb:

By the way, if you had to chop up that one butt I would guess it was under cooked, not over cooked. Over cooked butt basically turns to mush in my experience.

Thanks for all the support, guys. It didn't turn out to be the relaxed WSM-watching session I was hoping for, but it did seem to turn out pretty well. The piece that I had to chop was whiter than the rest and seemed to be a bit dry. One muscle out of six butts (over 50 pounds of precooked meat) probably isn't too bad, but I have gotten spoiled after several near-perfect cooks on the WSM. For Easter, I'm doing brisket in the WSM and chicken & ribs in the big offset. Hope things go more according to script.

TT - Sometimes after cooking and while I am pulling a butt, I find a muscle that is whiter than the rest of it that is tough and stringy. I have been tempted to throw this part away, but I usually end up chopping it up very fine and mixing it in with the rest. That usually covers up the part that I don't like.

Back