"Barn Burner Bar-B-Q" at Lambs Farm, Libertyville, IL, Oct. 19 & 20

It was a windy affair for sure. Met tonto, nice to put a face with a name. Had a few tastes but nothing really stood out. Had some really bad brisket and dry ribs. We had more fun down in Arthur last weekend, the peoples choice and pig roast there were excellent.

It was good to see all of the Brethren at LAMB'S. Hope the tasting alluded to above was not our "brisket and dry ribs".

Well, we had a good time, nice to meet some people from the Brethern. Tonto, Bud, Bubba, Ron L, Divemaster and one that couldn't get registered. Always enjoy a night of 45 degree weather, coupled with a stiff breeze, and a stick burner. All in all had a great time and you'll see us around again. Bubba thanks for the Miller. Yes, I was living the "high life", a good cold Miller and all the BBQ you could eat. Next time stop down and I'll buy you one.:p

After judging probably 20 contests in the last few years think our table had some of the worst that has ever crossed my tongue--one on the chicken plate was above average--two were almost too spicy to eat.
Some of the rib resentations looked like they were done by the flip and throw method--one sample was decent.
Our pork plate was'nt much better---lighter fluid/creosote was a dominating flavour!

But would bet that all but one sample of brisket was a placewinner--great presentations, mostly cooked good, nice flavours with a little use of Joe Ames products also!
Awespme desserts--sure wish they came 1st<LOL>

For those cookes that haven't jusdged--go do it---it is an eyopener for sure!
Buzz- I would have to agree and as a cook I hate to put down any cooks box as i know firsthand the blood , sweat , and tears a cook puts into those entries..
be that as it may we had some pretty mediocre Q at our table as well..there did seem to be an over abundance of oversmoked or really weird tasting product to be sure..
Did see some really nice looking presentations though
and the caramel cheese cake we judged really was a nice capper to the day..still would like to know how it placed overall

‘A Stiff Breeze’ doesn’t describe it… I’m sure it was a little left of fun around 2-3 in the morning…

I just wanted to thank Walt and Tonto for taking both ‘Ramona’ and myself in and showing us the ropes… Between the two of you, Bubba, and Jeff we really felt like we were amongst friends…

Michiana Mark, Congrats on all of your walks! I’m sure that it made a big impression on your son… what a way to spend a weekend and do some bonding… I’m sure that neither of you well be forgetting it any time soon.

Ron_L, and Ford, It was great to finally put a face to the names… Ford, thanks again for the tour of your setup… It’s really quite impressive, and I have a lot of work ahead of me on mine…

One final note… I’ve been to a few comps, judged a couple too, but all before I joined the Brethren. Since joining, I can say that I haven’t had as much fun at one nor have I met a nicer, more friendly bunch of people…

gotta say though the worst thing I saw was a judge filling up a ziploc with bbq from the volunteers table..when he was politely told to stop he did but he didnt put back what he took either..now I know why judges tend to get dumped on in regards to taking home food..i dont judge often but if this is the norm vs the exception im glad I cook more

Sounds like there were some turn ins that really sucked. I gotta believe there was also some pretty good groceries in some of those boxes.

Was great to meet some new brethern: Ron L, Jeff (drivemaster) and the ever charming Ramona (aka, Kathy), MichianaMark and many others that my frazzled brain can't recall.

I only wish that I could have had some of Tonto's third place pumpkin creme brulee dessert!!

Well it sounds like it was a good outing for most.Sorry I missed it.Lambs farm was aplace we visited several times a year when I was young.They used to have awesome bakery.:lol:

Congrats to all....

Divemaster, do you think that there is a way that you could talk Bud and Tonto in to coming down to Lumberton Nov 9-10 and giving me some lessons? ? ? ? ?

I need some help..... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Bill

Thanks all. It was our last comp for our first year and it was great to get a few calls and meet some wonderfull folks!!!!.Congrat's to all that walked!!! But I have to say, we brought home our best prize yet. As some of you know we lost our beloved Standard Poodle Wylie back in July...very unexpected, agrresive mouth cancer. Welllll...Lambs farm complex has a pet shop on it's premises. So without further adiu....here's Maggie.

1000856vt4.jpg

By tonto1117, shot with KODAK CX6330 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2007-10-22

But I have to say, we brought home our best prize yet. As some of you know we lost our beloved Standard Poodle Wylie back in July...very unexpected, agrresive mouth cancer. Welllll...Lambs farm complex has a pet shop on it's premises. So without further adiu....here's Maggie.

Congrats on the new member of the team!!! I think I can speak for both me and my team mate that you picked a far better name than we came up with… Ramona didn’t fit, and sorry Walt, but Buckeye didn’t either…

Maggie, you cutie you.... see if you can keep momma out of trouble.... :rolleyes:

I know it will be hard, but at least try....

Nice find Tonto... I am sure she will be a nice addition to the team. She will let you know if the samples are ok or not..... listen to her and she will do you well.

Bill

Sittin down to some leftover pulled pork for lunch, thought i'd throw in my 2 cent's........
Congrat's to Ford for another great showing, and thank's for sharing the single barrel Jack, nice warm up on a chilly nite!!:wink:
Kudo's to MichianaMark......10th place with that kind of competition is amazing!! Hope you decide to do this more often, you and your son have what it take's!!
It was great meeting Ron L and Divemaster, come to find out me and Jeff have a lot in common in cooking Bbq and Nascar!! :biggrin:
Considering the high winds and rain, turned out to be a great weekend of cooking and bonding with new friend's!! The pot luck dinner Sat. nite was awesome and the breakfast shot's weren't to bad either.
Look forward to going to this one next year as our warm-up to the Jack!!:cool:

Sittin down to some leftover pulled pork for lunch, thought i'd throw in my 2 cent's........
Congrat's to Ford for another great showing, and thank's for sharing the single barrel Jack, nice warm up on a chilly nite!!:wink:
Kudo's to MichianaMark......10th place with that kind of competition is amazing!! Hope you decide to do this more often, you and your son have what it take's!!
It was great meeting Ron L and Divemaster, come to find out me and Jeff have a lot in common in cooking Bbq and Nascar!! :biggrin:
Considering the high winds and rain, turned out to be a great weekend of cooking and bonding with new friend's!! The pot luck dinner Sat. nite was awesome and the breakfast shot's weren't to bad either.
Look forward to going to this one next year as our warm-up to the Jack!!:cool:

Thanks for the Kudos and the cold beer. You guys did great also, 12th ain't bad neither.

My son and I are looking forward to more comps in the future. He's trying to talk me into Ft. Lauderdale in Dec. For the life of me I can't figure out why an 19 yr old would want to be on a sunny beach in Fl in Dec. instead of at home in MI. I told him I'd think about it.

Tonto, nice addition to the team. I can still remember the day my cocker died. He was a sry 12 1/2, killed on the road.

Back