Barbeque Sauce??

I am of the belief that if you add anything, it is no longer off the shelf. It is an ingredient in YOUR sauce. I'm sure that most of us don't know how to make ketchup or Lawry's seasoning salt but they are 'off the shelf' and ingredients in your sauce. So don't say I doctored up someone's sauce. Take pride in your creation!!

That's why I referred to off-the-shelf pure. Otherwise it's just one
ingredient in our personal masterpiece. I make my own sauce, then we
take approximate 2 parts of it to 1 part of one off-the-shelf sauce and
another 1 part of another off-the-shelf sauce. You'd hardly know that
we used either of those two sauces when it's said and done. I expect
that probably at a minimum 1/2 and probably 80% of competitors do
something similar (doctoring some other off-the-shelf sauce).

We end up with a sauce that does pretty good in sauce contests, but
frankly we're not concerned with that ever. The sauce compliments
the meat without overpowering it. That's our objective. Last comp
we received rave reviews of how it does this very thing (I was very
pleasantly surprised). We did end up running out of sauce as a
result (we expected 20 - 30 family and friends eating BBQ; not over 100).
It was a very fun outing. Luckily we'd cooked 170+- lbs of pork shoulders
so the pork held out, but the sauce was gone and we ended up pulling
a little Head Country out of the reserve (we dont use it normally in any
portions). The only problem with ordering sauces online is that when
you have a sauce emergency (as we did) you can't just send someone to
the store to go grab another case. But, that's a story for another
brethren forum...

I use a generic store brand "Kansas City Style" as my base. I add a touch of vinegar, worchestershire, mustard, brown sugar, paprika, tomatoe sauce, cumin, and some ground red pepper. I'll also thin it down just a little. Never had any complaints except for a few times I had too much heat.

I purchased Blues Hog off the shelf at one of the Price Choppers outside KC...so I guess BH is off the shelf ;)

I purchased Blues Hog off the shelf at one of the Price Choppers outside KC...so I guess BH is off the shelf ;)

It's at our major grocery store here in Chicago as well. I think it's $3.69 a pint... Still amazes me seeing Bill's sauce at a super market.

Google Rick Salmon Grape Jelly. KC Masterpiece mixed with grape Jelly and a couple other ingredients. I won a contest using this sauce.

Is it considered "off the shelf" once it's mixed with the Rub that is on your meat?

I've had success with OTS sauces on my ribs. My chicken sauce I make from scratch and my brisket traditionally is not sauced.

I reverse-engineered (not scientifically, just by taste) BH and developed a
recipe for a thinner version. The taste is very close and I've done pretty
well with it in comps. However, I will not share the recipe because I don't
want to take anything away from Bill.

I've since moved on to a simpler, less expensive and completely different
recipe.

John

P.S. Here is a recipe for something that is apparently very close to
McDonalds' BBQ sauce.

I am of the belief that if you add anything, it is no longer off the shelf. It is an ingredient in YOUR sauce. I'm sure that most of us don't know how to make ketchup or Lawry's seasoning salt but they are 'off the shelf' and ingredients in your sauce. So don't say I doctored up someone's sauce. Take pride in your creation!!
I make my own Ketchup. It is farking fantastic compared to what you can get in the stores.

Not really sure if you would call my sauce "Off The Shelf" since I developed it myself, however it is available in a few KC area stores so it might fit the category. I use it in comps. and it did win the 2010 Baste of the Year at this year's Great American BBQ contest. Sure beats the McRib sauce...

Blues Hog is currently enjoying a lot of success for these reasons:
1. It is sweet (matching a current trend)
2. It has a little "bite" but isn't hot
3. It shows well -- good color

Everyone I introduce it to thinks its great. It'll probably stay that way until somebody decides on a different trend.

Blues Hog is currently enjoying a lot of success for these reasons:
1. It is sweet (matching a current trend)
2. It has a little "bite" but isn't hot
3. It shows well -- good color

Everyone I introduce it to thinks its great. It'll probably stay that way until somebody decides on a different trend.

I thought Blues Hog was just popular in the Northeast, but it sounds like teams all across the country are using it. I think next year I am going to have to judge a competition and see how much BH I could detect:heh:

I think next year I am going to have to judge a competition and see how much BH I could detect:heh:
My guess is that you will taste a lot of it, but it might not be pure BH - a lot of teams cut it with other sauces including BH Tennessee Red.

My guess is that you will taste a lot of it, but it might not be pure BH - a lot of teams cut it with other sauces including BH Tennessee Red.

Yeah, that tarragon in it is a dead giveaway flavor for me.

A 50/50 blend of original and TN Red is good stuff indeed.

John

Back