Banh Mi inspired MSU sliders

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Had a few different MSU recipes I've been rolling around in my head lately, and this is one of them - Banh Mi pork sliders:

bánh mì is an airy, crunchy French-styled baguette stuffed with a combination of meats, vegetables and other condiments. While balancing different textures and temperatures, bánh mì also has a flavor profile that is off the charts: salty, sour, savory, sweet, and aromatic all at once! As it has grown to become a staple in Vietnamese cuisine, so has its versatility:

I decided my rendition was going to be more finger food appetizer oriented, so I wanted to use ground pork to make patties. Fresh out of ground pork, but we can fix that:

Since this is a Vietnamese inspired dish, I thought Oakridge BBQ Saigon 21 would compliment things well:

Onto the Primo XL:

Time to assemble the sandwiches, I decided to use Hawaiian style buns for these:

Last night before bed, I pickled carrots and daikon to use as a garnish:

Next goes some thinly sliced cucumber:

Topping them off with some cilantro:

Yup, that'll do:

banh-mi-sliders-td.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great! I'd like a couple with some thinly sliced jalapeño with the other veggies.

Yep, that would definitely be my preference as well. I was trying to appeal to the type of palette that might think black pepper is spicy and opted to leave it off. I should’ve done that on mine at least.

Great use of the Saigon 21. The buns look lonely without some sort of sauce. Perhaps the slider doesn't need another layer of flavor, but I'm thinking a sriracha mayo would be a good addition. I'm not familiar enough with Vietnamese cuisine to what kind of condiments they use.

Yeah, that's an idea worth trying. They were light and flavorful due to the vegetables and didn't really NEED anything else, but some sort of mayo may have complimented them well. I think mayonnaise is something that makes its way onto these type of sandwiches.

I’m going to cook some more this weekend, try out some sauce variants on them. Maybe I’ll submit those….or something else :thumb:

I had some ground pork shoulder leftover from some sausage I made and decided I needed these sliders again. They're so good. This time I did make a sriracha mayo and it does indeed complement things well. The sliced cucumber, cilantro, and pickled daikon radish / carrot mixture give it a very fresh taste.

Back