• Big Ole Spicy Banh Mi BBQ Sammich: Footlong Version

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
I had hoped to enter this in the Big Farking Sammich Throwdown, but wasn't able to post it before the TD deadline due to a busy Monday work morning.

I wanted to come up with something completely different that I never have done before, so I decided on a hybrid Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwich with spicy Korean BBQ pork as the meat filling.

Banh Mi sandwiches are mighty tasty in their own right. I usually get grilled chicken or pork, and the sandwiches are layered with cooling/refreshing veggies like julienned cucumber, carrots, daikon radish, cilantro, and fresh jalapeno for a bit of heat. If you've never heard of a Banh Mi sandwich, here's some reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bánh_mì

Here's all the sammich fixins less the protein:

Banh%20Mi%20BBQ%20Pork%20Sammich%20%20Resized%2010_zpsrituwppy.jpg

And the pre-marinated meat, which I get at a local Asian market that both ssv3 and I shop at:

Banh%20Mi%20BBQ%20Pork%20Sammich%20%20Resized%2011_zpsc8qufezp.jpg

Up close:

Banh%20Mi%20BBQ%20Pork%20Sammich%20%20Resized%2012_zpski3r9tay.jpg

The pork is marinated in a spicy Korean chile paste along with a bit of sesame oil. When you grill it up, it has an amazing flavor that is spicy, sweet, and hot all at the same time. It's kinda like meat candy because it's so addictive! I don't bother to make my own as the stuff we buy is as good as any Korean BBQ joint, and way cheaper.

Fired up the Kingsford Oval:

Banh%20Mi%20BBQ%20Pork%20Sammich%20%20Resized%2014_zpsriqwr1i2.jpg

Flat top ready:

Banh%20Mi%20BBQ%20Pork%20Sammich%20%20Resized%2015_zpsilgawtqj.jpg

Dumped the entire container of meat on the flat top:

Banh%20Mi%20BBQ%20Pork%20Sammich%20%20Resized%201_zpsnynygrf3.jpg

At that point you have to move the meat around a lot so it won't burn. Here it is almost ready:

Banh%20Mi%20BBQ%20Pork%20Sammich%20%20Resized%202_zpszivaspvt.jpg

Put it in a bowl to rest:

Banh%20Mi%20BBQ%20Pork%20Sammich%20%20Resized%204_zps1tbissjv.jpg

Now to begin sammich construction:

Fresh baked baguette with a spread of mayo:

Banh%20Mi%20BBQ%20Pork%20Sammich%20%20Resized%205_zpsvvo3mgdf.jpg

Daikon radish and carrots:

Banh%20Mi%20BBQ%20Pork%20Sammich%20%20Resized%206_zpshjsedryc.jpg

Now the meat:

Banh%20Mi%20BBQ%20Pork%20Sammich%20%20Resized%207_zpsr4jkf6cu.jpg

Sammich fully assembled and sliced:

Banh%20Mi%20BBQ%20Pork%20Sammich%20%20Resized%208_zpsslbicbfq.jpg

DSC_0147D_zpsn6yw0mjy.jpg

Inside look:

Banh%20Mi%20BBQ%20Pork%20Sammich%20%20Resized%209_zpsiiqoewzn.jpg

The verdict? It was amazing! The spicy, crispy bits of pork contrasted beautifully with the veggies. The Missus and I devoured our sammiches, and will be doing this again soon!

I live in a high Vietnamese migrant suburb.
There would be a line out the door here for that.
I love Vietnamese food and you sure did that justice

Man, too bad you couldn't make the TD. Awesome sammich and another reminder to use my Kingsford but first go to Galleria. :thumb:

Nice work Moose, that sandwich looks amazing.

I love Banh Mi Sammiches, and yours looks wonderful.

I love the quick-pickled veggies and the spiciness to offset the typical savoury pork and pork pate... So many choices and combos that I've seen but not yet tried.

Appreciate the reminder to do this (or a Banh Mi dawg version I also love) again soon!

Man, too bad you couldn't make the TD. Awesome sammich and another reminder to use my Kingsford but first go to Galleria. :thumb:

Sako, I'm thinking the pre-marinated beef or the short rib would be just as tasty! Give it a whirl...

Back