baked beans

As much as I'm ashamed to admit it, I've never made Wampus' beans, mainly because I never have bourbon in the house. However, I would think that you could swap out peach pie filling for the apple pie filling in the hog-apple beans with excellent results.

Another thing I've been doing lately is using a mixture of beans, I'll just go to the store and buy a can of black, a can of baked, and sometimes a can of chili beans. Just adds a little different flavor, but it looks much better than plain old bushes beans.

WHERE IS IT AT??

El Gato

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109907

Last edited:
For cooking it is MHO that you don't need to buy the good stuff. I went with the Costco brand and everything I use it in turns out great.

I must strongly disagree. Always cook with the very best bourbon you can get. Just use what you need and send the rest to me for proper disposal! Just sayin'.....:biggrin1: Seriously, DerHusker is correct. You don't have to use high dollar bourbon.

I must strongly disagree. Always cook with the very best bourbon you can get. Just use what you need and send the rest to me for proper disposal! Just sayin'.....:biggrin1: Seriously, DerHusker is correct. You don't have to use high dollar bourbon.

I was just about to post what Wampus told me regarding bourbon till I got your humor lol. As far as using beer in anything goes........I say the same thing. Use high quality beer and send the rest to me bwaaahaaaaa!

par-tial....cook part way, not all the way done.....I was kinda confusing in that previous post....:crazy:

1) maybe cook the bacon all the way & chunk into the beans near the end, a little dab of bacon grease thrown in for flavor

2) maybe cook the bacon part way, chunk up & add in maybe half way into the cook, less grease, still some flavor

3) maybe cook the bacon part way over a drip pan, then the rest of the way over the bean pan, more drippin's & chunk into beans at the end....

Kind of a long answer, but it will add to the flavoring, as far as I've known or done.....just don't want to get them too overloaded. & greasy.....

Bacon fat is a good flavor if not overdone.....regular sweet potato chunks, garlic, bacon fat & maple syrup....and some mild rub....

P1010028.jpg

Drip beets..... Couple big beets chunked, bacon fat, maple syrup, Applewood rub, butter & ripe mango chunks....

Sept7theCook022c.jpg

Both dripped under pork butt part of the time cooking.....

Wow, those drip beet look great! Do you happen to have specific quantities for the ingredients? Thanks!

+1 on the ground sausage. I don't use fruit or whiskey in my beans, but sausage is a must and I like BBQ sauce in mine.

Thanks for the replies. I hate to go buy a 30 dollar bottle of good bourbon just for a few tbsp or whatever.

Don't. Buy a bottle of Evan Williams instead. Much cheaper, actually a good drinkable bourbon, and works great in recipes.

Wow, those drip beet look great! Do you happen to have specific quantities for the ingredients? Thanks!

I'll try to remember here....it was a fairly quick exercise in free-form cooking.....

Two very large beets, potato-peeled,
one large mango, ripe,

those two chunked about 3/4" x 1/2" x 1/2"

two or a bit more tablespoons bacon drippin' ( i just pour the stuff off from pan fry in the kitchen & we save in a small stainless tub....stays good long enough to get used up)

heavy sprinkle of granulated garlic across the pan,

heavier sprinkle (maybe tablespoon or more McCormick's Applewood Rub
( or anything you think might go well, milder as opposed to spicy)

1/2 cube butter chunked thru, Smoke under butt or ribs'till mostly soft.........

Sept7theCook014.jpg

Sept7theCook013a.jpg

Sept7theCook002b.jpg

I got the idea from Shenco when he did this, I think, under pork belly.......

I usually add onion, bell pepper, pineapple and bacon to the beans. I mix everything in and then layer the top with bacon strips and throw in the smoker for 4-5 hours minimum. Remove the bacon from the top and either dice it up and add it back in or use it for something else.

Just having beans in the smoker for a while is enough for some folks to think you are a BBQ god. At a safety meeting/lunch at work they were going to put two pans of plain Bush's in the smoker along with some sausages and pork loins. I sort of stepped in (as in elbowed the manager out of the way :biggrin1:) and added a couple layers of rub, chopped onion and Blues Hog, then topped with a little more Blues Hog. We didn't cover them for about 2 hours.

One of the gals politely asked about the recipe and the manager pointed to me. "Would you give it up?" she asked. I said "sure, and the first thing you'll need is a can opener". When she found out it was totally impromptu, she was blown out.

Back