Bagels??? **Split form filet mignon **

Qczar said:
Jorge, ........... I used to use a bowl and need by hand. Since I got a jumbo sized Cuisinart, I now use it for the dough. The 'Dough' feature on it works like a charm and does a better job needing. I do mix some wheat flour in with the all porpose for extra flavor.

1 package of dry yeast
1 teaspoon of sugar
1-1/4 cups of water (110º)
3-1/3 cups flour
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon of EV olive oil

This will make a large pie and then some. But then again I make`em thin crust. After thinking about it. I threw out the idea of spending $75+ on lobster/crab dinner and decided to make a New Years seafood pie tonight. Shrimp, bay scallops, fresh blue crab claw meat with a multi white cheese base and garlic, herbs and lemon zest. Fresh oysters on the half shell for appetizer.

Very similar to what we do. I use the Kitchnaid with the dough hook. I'm looking forward to trying it and comparing the difference in texture in flavor. Always hunting for a better dough for pizza and calzone. Thanks for sharing!

Qczar said:
Jorge, ........... I used to use a bowl and need by hand. Since I got a jumbo sized Cuisinart, I now use it for the dough. The 'Dough' feature on it works like a charm and does a better job needing. I do mix some wheat flour in with the all porpose for extra flavor.

1 package of dry yeast
1 teaspoon of sugar
1-1/4 cups of water (110º)
3-1/3 cups flour
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon of EV olive oil

This will make a large pie and then some. But then again I make`em thin crust. After thinking about it. I threw out the idea of spending $75+ on lobster/crab dinner and decided to make a New Years seafood pie tonight. Shrimp, bay scallops, fresh blue crab claw meat with a multi white cheese base and garlic, herbs and lemon zest. Fresh oysters on the half shell for appetizer.

I'm comming to your house Serge!

Hey Grillnputt - Do I hear BBQ bagels ???

How about making an extra one with your favorite rub added in before boiling/baking.... Could be the next big thing....Who knows, maybe this is what the Southerners will need to accept bagels down there.

I remember being in Knoxville, TN about 10 or 12 yrs ago... I walk into this food shop and ask for an bacon,egg, cheese sandwich on a bagel... I got a blank stare and then a response " We had a bagel shop once.. It closed after three months... We eat muffins down here....You want a soft roll ?"

i dont know if anyone covered this, but what about malt in the bagel dough? i heard this is what gives the bagel its unique flavor and is just as important as the boiling process.
phil

The King Arthur flour people came to town and did some short classes. One on sweet doughs and one on artisianal doughs. We took the latter and have had a blast with the pizza dough recipe. I'm not much of a pizza eater but love this stuff. We also bought a pizza stone (7.50 at a cooking supply outlet store). We now have pizza once a week. The dough freezes well which is good because to make from scratch takes close to 24 hours with mixing, proofing etc. She also developed a sauce recipe. You might check their web site or a local library for the cookbooks (if you don't have them, get they're wonderful) for the recipe. If I can find where the significantly better half has stored hers I will send it along to anyone who emails me privately.

i hate to sound lazy... but i just go to a local pizzaria and buy a couple doughs as I need them. large pizza dough is a buck, and a sicialian dough is $1.50. No mess, already proofed.. ready to go. :redface: :mrgreen:

Smoker said:
Man there is nothing like a fresh bagel when it comes right out of the oven. I luv the garlic bagel or the egg everything bagel. Your the first person I ever heard making his own bagels here on Long Island. I just stand in line at the bagel store in Merrick usually and get me a few. In fact the motto for Long Island could be "We do bagels right"

Side note... When I was up at highland this summer for the cookoff, there was a free breakfast for the teams. It was bagels and coffee. I watched a team from somewhere down south stare at the bagels. The looks on their face was pretty much "What we supposed to do with them things". It was priceless.

Kinda like Y’all with grits!!!!!!:rolleyes:

All kidding aside, I’ve been eating bagels for quite awhile and love em.

But, I have to be honest, the best bagel I had the privilege of wrapping my southern mouth around were the ones served by our hostess at the last bash I attended in Mecca. But, we’re learnin.

S'cuse me, are those supposed to be donuts????????:shock: :wink:

If you had the honor to give someone their first bagel, how would you do it? Would it be toasted, slit, whole, buttered, sammiched?

Two great ways to eat bagels, with the accent on simplicity

Plain, whole, hot out of the oven

sliced, toasted and spread with cream cheese.

racer_81 said:
In college, back when HBO first came out, we'd watch all the little specials.

One was called "Bagels, bagels, bagels". It showed how bagels were made in New York. And yes, they were boiled before baking.

And then there was this exercise special.....one female...exercising rather (or so we thought) seductively to music. I forget the name of that one.....

Aerobicise...

Oooooooh Yeeaaaah........Aerobicise.

Ah...the mammaries, er, memories.....

Smoker said:
If you had the honor to give someone their first bagel, how would you do it? Would it be toasted, slit, whole, buttered, sammiched?

everything bagel, toasted with cream cheese, lox(smoked salmon), red onion and thin sliced tomatoes. coffee and OJ of course!
phil

rookiedad said:
everything bagel, toasted with cream cheese, lox(smoked salmon), red onion and thin sliced tomatoes. coffee and OJ of course!
phil

OH, Rookie Dad, you are my idol !!!!!!!!:grin:

But wait, I’m southern!!!!!

Let’s try something different………Maybe, bagels & buttermilk.
Or, as fishin food, you know, with sardines instead of saltines:roll: , or with potted meat,8) or maybe that home made thick sliced bologna with a little mustard, as a samich……AH!!!!! Left over Q… Now that would be the ticket………..Hell the possibilities are endless………MMMmmmm!!!!:smile:

Back