Bad Ribs

So do you think my rub was too salty? Even the meat on the inside was salty. Could the rub have penetrated that far in?

I think so. Between the regular salt, the onion salt, and the Lemon Pepper (main ingredient is salt), you had a total of 1 1/2 cups of salt. I tried a new rub on some spares a couple of weeks ago that was quite salty and the same thing happened. They came out hammy and salty. If you want to use that rub again, I would just not use very much.

You made a lot of rub, and I don't know how much of it you put on the ribs, but looking at the salt/sugar ratio (including the garlic seasoning? onion salt and the lemon pepper) it doesn't look like you exceeded a 1/1 ratio which is a pretty good rule-of-thumb to use when mixing your own rubs.

cut back on the salt for sure. also how long and what temp. were they cooked at. maybe they could have stayed on longer. just a guess and my .02. try the rub mix again only less salt. it can always be added later it needed.:-D:cool:

I'll jump on the "too much salt in the rub" bandwagon too. Here's a different question for you: Was it a good hammy flavor? If so, and if you still have several cups of this stuff, you might want to try making bacon from a boston butt or tenderloin with it.

I hope this discussion "cures" your problems...

I gave up on babybacks this year becase 1) every package i bought was crap. Shiners or to much fat and 2) hammy and bright pink. Switched to spares and havent looked back.

Amen, Brother! :p Spare ribs are the only way to go! IMHO

My meat market sells the Extra Meaty BB's and I have tried them SEVERAL times and they come out nasty. I think that extra meat on them doesn't have enough fat in it.
They don't come out salty, they just don't come out good no matter what I have put on them.
So, no more extra meaty BB's. I haven't screwed up a rack of Baby Backs in years!!!!!
PARTY!!!!!

Phil - Here's a picture of recently smoked (cherry with a little hickory) COSTCO BB's. Any similarity to what you were seeing?

bbs.jpg

not even close. Mine were bright pink right to the bone.

I count myself lucky. I live 30 minutes from a hog farm that butchers the hogs right behind the cooler where you pick your meat out. I've never had a hammy tasting rib whether it was a baby back or spare. I also don't have salt or sugar in my rub recipe. Since I always use a sauce on my ribs, I figure the sauce I use has enough salt and sugar that I don't need to add it to the rub.

Back