bacon!

seattlepitboss

is one Smokin' Farker
OK. Two pork bellies, trimmed out for bacon and pancetta. I did half of one belly using Thirdeye's recipe, the other half as pancetta, and the other pork belly I did in 3 parts but all using Charcuterie's Maple Syrup cure. All done making up the cure, rubbing, curing, soaking, pellicleizing - today was smoking day! Cold, rainy 40 degree day in Seattle. I used a mix of mesquite and cherry lump (the latter I made myself). Sure made my driveway smell good!

I pulled them off and removed the skin. Here's a shot of the just-smoked skinned pieces cooling out, enjoy: - seattlepitboss

outOfSmokerSkinnedCooling.jpg

Bacon! - (next time, please remember to capitalize the first letter in Bacon) - and it does look good!
Heck, it looks so good you can capitalize the whole word:
BACON!!!

They're some nice meaty slabs of belly. Good one!

I did some Jalapeno & Maple Syrup Bacon last time, the Jalapeno didn't really come through, but the Maple gave it a nice touch. I think I prefer a more simple brine though, at the end of the day. Making Bacon feels like you've made a deal with a witch to the keys to the universe.

curious as to how you made your own cherry lump? bacon looks great!!!

Thank you! Actually, I had to build a fire for a church event. Brought a box of cherry wood, laid fire, lit it. Two hours later the event was over so I spread the coals all over the fireplace so they'd go out. Next week I took a bucket back and lo and behold about 3 gallons of nice ice-cube sized pieces of cherry lump, along with a couple of cups of hardwood ash. Today I just dumped the cherry lump into my charcoal basket over my lawn and gave it a shake. That got rid of the loose ash. The rest was stock-standard Minion method.

SPB

Back