Bacon ribs?

jbounds286

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Josh
came across this video last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQUMpMcAydI

Looking for some clarification on this cut, it looks like when spares are cut normally, the belly is attached to the top? and in this they just...dont detach them? this stuff looks delicious and the wife has requested I try to find a way to get this type of spare/belly combo

I think what is confusing you is terminology.

Traditional bacon as marketed comes from the bottom belly, and has a ratio of approximately 3 parts fat to 1 part meat.

Spareribs on the pig are also covered with the edges of the belly which is usually removed when the ribs are processed. When sold this is also sometimes referred to as pork belly. It is also referred to as side belly, side bacon, or streaky bacon and has the ratio of 1 part tat to one part meat..

As indicated, you can buy ribs with the side belly still attached if you ask your butcher.

Sounds similar to the Milwaukee Rib from Iron Grate BBQ, belly on spares, although they didn't cure theirs. They did close up shop last year though. Was there a few times, some tasty stuff.

gEfc2y2h.jpg

If you can find some with the really long bones, you can trim and cook up individually...

RlNk5CUh.jpg

Best bet is if you can find a butcher that breaks down whole hogs.

I got to try one at L&L last year and it was fantastic

Back