Award Winning Competition Chicken by Pickled pig

Wow.....and I thought i was chicken obsessed.
(forget it sled:-D)

After a few of shots of Patron You'll be right over at Sleds trimming, deboning, and scraping chicken. It's ok though. By the time you figured out you trimmed 132 thighs Sled, myself and a couple of other teams will be all set.:roll:

After a few of shots of Patron You'll be right over at Sleds trimming, deboning, and scraping chicken. It's ok though. By the time you figured out you trimmed 132 thighs Sled, myself and a couple of other teams will be all set.:roll:

do I have to make an appointment or just show up at the WATG? camp?

Ok, so then to do it this way, you have to bring the chicken and the skins separated to the comp and put them together there???????

No. You can do all the prep work on site (or at home). Just no seasoning, cooking, injecting, brining, etc. can be done prior to inspection.

It is much easier to accomplish this at home on Thursday night. The luxuries of running water and a refrigerator are nice. But, as many of our friends can attest, we do not always get this done ahead of time and our chicken cook may end up spending 3 or more hours prepping chicken on Fridays while everyone else is having fun.

By the time I show up, usually on a thursday night, I try to have everything trimmed and sealed back up in large bags (love having a buddy with a butcher shop), and even have went as far as having all the greens gone through, cleaned, and ready to go into the box.....one of these days will grow a pair and even do boxes up on Wednesday, cooler them, and then, once I get the contest boxes just transfer greens, straighten up, and then POW....no work to do besides vend the Hot Squeeze and Blues CD's......but, until then, the only thing I usually have to do is work on presentation boxes......

Thanks Sled and Paul, this looks like a little more work but very detailed. Seems like it would be a little stressful trying to time the meat to within 5 minutes before turnin.

I did my chicken this weekend this way. The 1 1/2 hour prep time sucked for just 12 thighs but the results were great. I won't get our scores till Monday but they were good enough to help get 3rd overall out of 27 teams. Here's our box.
IMG_2301.jpg

While I truly appreciate the effort, craftsmanship and attention-to-detail of his chicken, I can't help but ask, shouldn't a chicken thigh look like a chicken thigh?

I'm a competitive cook, but not a CBJ. I'd be interested to hear what you judges think.

John

Oops... I just noticed that he has the average appearance scores in the post. It's pretty obvious that judges don't have much of a problem with "pillow chicken".

John

Huh? You can see them in the meat section at your local supermarket. :shock: :-D

I kid, of course. I've just never seen a chicken grow rectangular thighs with perfectly taught skin completely covering it.

Here's a pic of one of mine. I'm not saying mine is better, or even as good. I simply offer this as an example of a more "natural-looking" thigh.

ChickenCloseUp.jpg

John

Last edited:
Back