ATTN: Contest organizers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are saying that you want to leave all of our creativity at the door? Oh sure. Just ruin my dreams... :roll::roll:

I agree communication is great, but it seems that it would be double work. The best ideas come from an open forum, IMO. To talk about something and than to ask the "PUBLIC" would be double work. I would say do it in the open so you can get feed back right away. just my opinion
Lets put it this way. If I were an organizer do you think I would want to put myself out there and then have to deal with feedback from someone like your brother?:rolleyes::tongue::biggrin:

As an organizer, I think it's a great idea and I think there should be a private area for organizers only. As a cook......I don't really care how it's setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some options.

The organizers area can be set up as a 'joinable' forum in the competition forum. Joinable means its not seen by the general populaiton unless you became a member of the forum thru the user control panel.

I will assign a group leader to approve the join requests. To join, you have to be a Contest organizer or part of an organizers team. It is not an exclusive forum, but the goal is to give organizers a place to discuss things without to many cooks in the kitchen(pun intended). As things progress, we can make it so the general popiulation can read it(if they join), but only official organizers and their teams can post. This will give the general population insight into what it takes to organize a contest, but control the 'to many cooks in the kitchen' scenario.

A public area can also be made for folks to ask organizers questions, but I think that can be done in the general part of the competition forum. Its up to the folks that will use the forum of how we want to organize it.

Contest Specific Forum? : If a member of that forum asks for one, a sub forum can be set up within that forum for a specific contest. This is helpful if the organizers team is in different places and available at different times and they want a work area to work through timings, responsibilities, who did what, etc. It can be removed after the contest, or archived and left for review and lessons learned.

Seems like it may work. Not ready yet.. keep discussing.

First off, let me thank Phil for bringing this up. This is the best idea that you have had in a long, long time. Kudos to you, sir!

I would like to see a private forum (however that is defined) with subforums for things such as dealing with judges, how to find sponsors, working with DoH, getting proclamations, etc.

Eric

I like the idea of an organizers forum but think it would be a terrible idea to make it private to organizers only. I would think both organizers and cooks could both benefit if the group were open. I honestly believe that the best competitions are run by organizers that are former and current cooks. Don't see the need for any secrecy. If I were an organizer, I would be looking for input from the cooks and their teams, but hey that's just me. I think cooks that are looking to try and organize a contest in their area especially where there are no contests could benefit greatly by being able to read and ask questions of experienced organizers that run successful contests.

As an organizer, I think it's a great idea and I think there should be a private area for organizers only. As a cook......I don't really care how it's setup.

Jim, I'm surprised that you feel this way. Could you share your reasons why? I'm not trying to call you out on this, and I think you know me well enough to know that I wouldn't do that. Maybe I'm missing why cooks especially those that are interested in maybe starting up a contest in their area should be locked out of such a group.

Dallas
In BBQ Comp Deprived NE Ohio

I couldn't agree with you more Dallas. As a first year organizer and second year cook, I want to get unbiased opinions from both cooks and organizers and don't see the need for seperation. Doesn't it take organizers and cooks working together and everybody being on the same page to make a good successful contest? Just my honest opinion.

Ottie

A closed area for Organizers
and those interested in becoming one
In time a Open Area also

Thom, I like the idea that it be open to those cooks that would like to be an organizer. I know that cooks/organizers to be could benefit from some mentoring and try to learn from the experience of veteran organizers before they repeat costly mistakes that others before them may have made that aren't so obvious to a novice organizer. I'd love to see some mentoring available and think its a great idea. We definitely need some contests up in the Cleveland area which is the largest metropolitan area in Ohio but currently has no contests.

Dallas it is still a work in progress....it will not happen this year, but, in 2010 there will be a contest in Cleveland. One of the major backers that I was utilizing in the pre-planning dropped out due to finances. I have started working with a promoter but, timing was too bad this year. But, there will be one in Cleveland......but, yeah, it is a LOT of work....

The closed area is not a an area void of ideas. It is an area where event organizers can discuss sponsorship. monies, judging, things of an individual nature that do not require the input of the average participant. There are a lot of things that go on "behind the scenes" of any event. I know because I have run several events. These are items that are not up for public discussion. If you make it open I think you are just repeating the comp forum. If open to the public, as an event organizer, I would be hesitant to discuss the "nut and bolts" of the event. It's not a public topic. Does your employer discuss everything with you before he presents/does it? Make it a private area, joinable only through Phil or his appointee and then use the comp forum for the public. Scott

The closed area is not a an area void of ideas. It is an area where event organizers can discuss sponsorship. monies, judging, things of an individual nature that do not require the input of the average participant. There are a lot of things that go on "behind the scenes" of any event. I know because I have run several events. These are items that are not up for public discussion. If you make it open I think you are just repeating the comp forum. If open to the public, as an event organizer, I would be hesitant to discuss the "nut and bolts" of the event. It's not a public topic. Does your employer discuss everything with you before he presents/does it? Make it a private area, joinable only through Phil or his appointee and then use the comp forum for the public. Scott

So why would this not be a good thing for people wanting to put on a contest (but are currently not an organizer) to learn about? I'm not sure I agree with the analogy of an employer. I certainly do not consider Contest organizers to be my employer. There is too much secrecy with the KCBS today, now you want to extend it to the BBQ forums as well. Talk about creating a divide between cooks and organizers! Not a good idea. Besides there's a good chance that the very people that you are trying to exclude could have a relationship with a potential sponsor. I would hope that orgainzers again would think of teams as customers and not employees. Those that think of cooks and teams as employees will not last long in this business.

Jim, I'm surprised that you feel this way. Could you share your reasons why? I'm not trying to call you out on this, and I think you know me well enough to know that I wouldn't do that. Maybe I'm missing why cooks especially those that are interested in maybe starting up a contest in their area should be locked out of such a group.

Dallas
In BBQ Comp Deprived NE Ohio

Dallas, I know you're not calling me out and I don't mind a bit in the world telling you why I feel that there should be a closed part for organizers only. And you know me well enough to know that everything I do in the way of organizing is with the best interest of the cook in mind. I am a competitor as you know and I am in constant communication with other teams as you also know. I don't need to go to an organizer forum to know what the teams want and expect.

First let me tell you what my preconceived idea of this new forum is and what I expect to gain from it. My concept of the organizer forum is where I'm going to learn about which CBJ's, teams, sponsors and even reps are creating problems that could jeopardize the success of my event. These are all internal issues that the teams do not need to be aware of and can most likely be avoided all together with a heads up from other organizers.

I am not trying to keep the cook out of the loop but rather trying to foresee and prepare for any problems that might take away from their overall experience at my event. We had several major issues at Kettering last year that hopefully nobody outside of the committee knew about. We dealt with these issues quickly, quietly and effectively in order to minimize the impact they might have had on the overall event. These were not things that the teams needed to know about as they were all internal issues. If they would have gotten out of control, the teams and probably everyone else would have known about them and it would have had a direct effect on our success.

The other reason I voted for a closed forum was to crush Scottie's dreams.

I believe if this is not a private area you will lose organizers. That is not to say any of the teams and judge do ot have good ideas and if you do please email me as I would be more than happy to listen to them and apply them to the contest. I think what this area will be is a area is a place new and old organizers can go to keep current on the rules, ins and outs of running a contest, do and donts, etc as well as new ideas. IF this is to be open there will be so much discussion nothing will be gained from it. Just a few thoughts.....

Does your employer discuss everything with you before he presents/does it?

I don't agree with the employer analogy either Scott. I think that is creating a hierarchy that shouldn't exist. I think of it more as a play where the teams are the audience and they are not privy to everything that goes on backstage. Not because it is taking anything away from them but because it might ruin the magic of the show.

Dallas, I know you're not calling me out and I don't mind a bit in the world telling you why I feel that there should be a closed part for organizers only. And you know me well enough to know that everything I do in the way of organizing is with the best interest of the cook in mind. I am a competitor as you know and I am in constant communication with other teams as you also know. I don't need to go to an organizer forum to know what the teams want and expect.

First let me tell you what my preconceived idea of this new forum is and what I expect to gain from it. My concept of the organizer forum is where I'm going to learn about which CBJ's, teams, sponsors and even reps are creating problems that could jeopardize the success of my event. These are all internal issues that the teams do not need to be aware of and can most likely be avoided all together with a heads up from other organizers.

I am not trying to keep the cook out of the loop but rather trying to foresee and prepare for any problems that might take away from their overall experience at my event. We had several major issues at Kettering last year that hopefully nobody outside of the committee knew about. We dealt with these issues quickly, quietly and effectively in order to minimize the impact they might have had on the overall event. These were not things that the teams needed to know about as they were all internal issues. If they would have gotten out of control, the teams and probably everyone else would have known about them and it would have had a direct effect on our success.

The other reason I voted for a closed forum was to crush Scottie's dreams.

Jim,

Thanks for that explanation and for the reasons that you stated I would certainly agree with you that a closed forum to current organizers for those type of discussions makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Hopefully there could be another type of section carved out to help new or potential organizers get some mentoring from experienced organizers like yourself in effort to expand competition BBQ into areas that currently do not have contests.

Dallas

Dallas it is still a work in progress....it will not happen this year, but, in 2010 there will be a contest in Cleveland. One of the major backers that I was utilizing in the pre-planning dropped out due to finances. I have started working with a promoter but, timing was too bad this year. But, there will be one in Cleveland......but, yeah, it is a LOT of work....

Well best of luck with your efforts for bringing a contest to Cleveland, Rob!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back