Atlanta Costcos not stocking briskets??

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Viet King Cong
This is a long one.

The feeling of dread and panic set in during my lunch break today. Wife said she told her side of the family I would be bringing brisket to their Memorial Day pool thing/ gender reveal baby party on Saturday. What? I said maybe we would bring some food: like an 8 pc bucket from KFC. I didn’t agree to any of this!

I work in Alpharetta so I stopped by there first. No briskets. It’s 630 pm and I was running out of time but I went to the Duluth location anyway. No packers either! I asked if they sold out because I know I’m pretty late in the meat game for a weekend cook. They told me they put out what they get and they haven’t had any in awhile. Lame!

I headed home to Monroe and passed by so many Krogers, Publix, and Walmarts with their Select packers. For an impromptu overnight cook I know I need all the help I can get. Plus I have to leave at 8am to pick up my sisters who are flying in for the weekend. I feel so uncomfortable about this cook.

It felt downright dirty but I drove into town to a local market. Nothing super about this place. They stock brands I haven’t seen since I was in grade school (Hy-top). The store fits right in on any small podunk town in Amurica. But my year long recon shows this place has Choice at Select prices.

59dba065b03af9b7f9cc7580bed7c8b8.jpg

No pictures for the madness that came after. I grabbed one of their leaky Black Angus labeled package and some discount spices and headed home. Completed a horrible trim job as fast I could on room temp brisket fat. Spilled spices all over the counter while sprinkling S&P on a mustard slathered mess.

The Pooperhead 5 had been warming up for the last 30 minutes when I threw on the brisket. It’s set for 175F so I can get decent smoke penetration. I put the kids to bed at 10pm and passed out on their floor reading Five Little Monkies.

I woke up an hour ago with a jolt. Dude! You have something in the smoker! It was about 2:40 am when I checked on the brisket. Sitting in smoke at 190 for the past 4 hours or so. I cranked it to 250 knowing it will bob and weave from 225 to 275. Brisket was pale and nowhere close to wrapping.

I hate these types of cooks.

Wide awake now so I trimmed some defrosted spares. These were meant for me for Monday’s cook but oh well. Homemade Memphis rub and onto the smoker it goes.

fed050c6ef0f6f6757f912636df8223c.jpg

f4a0a67d077dcf423bb24f6100b413cb.jpg

Brisket was only at 160F when I wrapped but I’m not planning on taking another peek until 530 am or so. Plus I saw this, possibly from the fat dripping into fire pot :

24612a80df1530ff62662e2f7370f3ed.jpg

Breathe! It'll work out to be your best brisket ever...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Brisket temp is only at 168 now with 3 hours to go. I cranked it to 300F and added foil under the ribs to prevent any spikes. Nervous? You bet. I hate smoking on a time crunch.

Nice breakfast KingCong!

That's a sweet digital readout set up on your insulated smoker!

(jealous)

I left a little late but here’s the brisket. Had to take it to 208 before I liked how it probed.

1286cd98410d7073da3a127a67a1a5e7.jpg

Back