Artisan Bread in the Green Egg

Thatgrimguy

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Scott
As many of you know I bake a lot. I just picked up the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a day and have to say that it's the easiest method I have tried to bake bread! Great results. I did a bunch of loaves today on the egg. The book is definitely worth buying and is a perfect way to start baking bread.

So, I mixed up a large double mix of the "master dough" exactly to the specifications. I added my sourdough starter as if it were leftover dough and the book describes how to handle it (mix it into the water basically) You don't need to do this if you don't have any.

I gave the dough about 4 hours to rise since it was so much dough. Then put it in the fridge last night. This morning when my brisket I was cooking finished I added a 2nd stone and removed my drip pan and cranked up to 450-500. While the egg stabilized I made my loaves. To compare I baked a few loaves of my ciabatta from all starter at the same time (the long loaves)

E0549949-816B-418E-A876-D23221970A6E_zpsnvuewfjn.jpg

4C734946-55DD-464A-BD44-2B8E8DE294F2_zpspn1jbq70.jpg

BA750614-F1B8-4519-8A86-20DA7985856E_zpslejvlmoj.jpg

44FDFE2A-49BE-46DA-8419-3E20B8D59D43_zps8rvl0nvu.jpg

You can see my big ole bowl of homemade butter I just finished making!

082222CD-ABE9-4459-9D72-BE6C4F41D30D_zpsjdwplk6q.jpg

Then I put on my ciabatta and started baking that off

36C55FA6-34FB-4CDB-B038-3D2652B5AF76_zpsalv62ryb.jpg

Beautiful day on the River!!

97779C73-FC37-40B0-9772-5191BAF58B02_zpskurhqinz.jpg

And the money shot! It's our Thanksgiving meal at work! I took this and a Brisket that was AMAZING! No pics of the brisket though... sorry.

E9A89C7A-3382-45CB-B50B-40DD9BE9F461_zpsxhut59lr.jpg

Last edited:
Damn. I am gonna try baking bread for Thanksgiving, but mine is the store bought kit.

I would go ahead and give this a try.

Run your tap as hot as it can go and get 3 cups of water.
Add 1 tablespoon of dry active yeast and 1.5 tablespoons salt to water

Stir and let sit for 60-120 seconds.

Mix into 2lbs of all purpose flour until no clumps of dough exist then let sit covered (not airtight) on the counter for 2-4 (or longer who cares) hours. Then throw that in the fridge. Do that ASAP

On turkey day, First heat your oven with a dutch oven, no top, in it at 450. (you want it to be at 450 for 45min or so) then throw some flour on top of the dough and grab a handful of the dough and cut off the sticking part. Form it and throw it on a piece of parchment for an hour. Cut the top with sharp knife. Then slide that parchement/dough into the dutch oven and start checking 20 minutes later.

You will look like a bread god.

Thanks for sharing your cook, I really am envious of your skills!

I gotta get the book now, love baking fresh bread... we need a crumb shot!

I'll bake a fresh loaf tonight and get a picture. It came out great. Here are a couple shots of the leftovers from yesterday. We had a little bread left in our break room this morning.

So this was sliced yeserday and photographed today. Not the best situation. (just realized these pics are of my ciabatta not of the artisan bread in 5 min recipe)

54A5648A-1884-472E-9329-5C1041739A8E_zpsegzhjqpf.jpg

CD23A779-E738-4FDF-A1EA-1B55732596F7_zpsdibf5mgp.jpg

Great looking bread. I've also wanted to bake bread but all the recipes seemed complex for good artisan bread. Could your recipe be cooked in an oven maybe a cast iron pot? Tom

Going to have to try some on the kamado - thanks for sharing. I bought my wife that book and a cloche a couple years back and she has been cranking out some really good bread.

Care to share you homemade butter process/recipe? I've made it before simply by shaking some heavy cream gently in a mason jar but wasn't sure if you do anything else to it.

Going to have to try some on the kamado - thanks for sharing. I bought my wife that book and a cloche a couple years back and she has been cranking out some really good bread.

Care to share you homemade butter process/recipe? I've made it before simply by shaking some heavy cream gently in a mason jar but wasn't sure if you do anything else to it.

Do you have a kitchen aid mixer?

Just whip heavy whiping cream on high till the butter seperates out (make sure you cover the top with paper towels and that those paper towels don't get caught in the beater). The better the cream, the better the butter. But any cream will be better than typical shelf butter.

The cream will turn to whipped cream first then start breaking down to a cottage cheese consistency. After about 15 minutes? of beating the solid and liquid will seperate violently. You need to be paying attention or it can quickly become a mess.

Turn the mixer off when this happens. You should have a big clump of what looks just like butter stuck to the beater and a bit floating around in the milk. Time to strain the milk and keep the buttter (cheese cloth or a sieve makes this next process easier) I keep the liquid and use it in anything that calls for butter milk.

Now, using ice water rinse the butter till its free of any remaing milk. I fill a glass of ice water over and over and pour it over the butter to rinse the gray water (milk) out. Keep rinsing the butter over and over till it runs clear. Ice water keeps the butter from melting away and getting messy. Next you need to get as much water out as possible. I wrap paper towel and kind of ring it. Then I put it back in my beater and spin out more water. Don't go too crazy, just get it mostly dry. The ice water will have the butter pretty firm.

Finally it's time to put your butter back in the mixer and beat till creamy and add salt to taste. i put a teaspoon of kosher salt per pint of cream.

Back