Are vacuum seal units worth it over ziplock freezer bags?

I bought a foodsaver a few months ago on WOOT.com. It was like $20. I have been buying whole luncheon meats, ham, pastrami, etc. at Restaurant Depot and slicing on a $50 slicer from Academy Sports. The meats keep well when vac packed and frozen. These items paid for themselves in two trips. They are worth it for that alone. The price is about half of what you pay in the grocery store for the cheaper brands.

I dry age my ribeyes and when I cut them into steaks, I vac seal them. I gave 2 to someone for their birthday. They defrosted them in the fridge and we’re going to cook them one night, but didn’t because of an emergency. They were away for 2 weeks and were wondering if the steaks were still good. They didn’t want to lose them cause they knew these were dry aged. I happened to be with them when they got back and we opened up the steaks and they were still good! Try that in a ziplock and it probably will be dicey at best. That situation helps justify a vac sealer for me!

They work, but for me, no. Not worth the extra time, effort. And eventually they die/break $$. I used them for alot of years. Yes the cheaper brands. Glad I did not spend the big $$ on a high end one.
Now I only use freezer bags, then wrap in butcher paper. You won't get any torn holes, rips from sharp edges (from other frozen vac bags) when items are moved around in your freezer as you look thru the packages. Like others mention. This way also, I Never have any freezer burn.
I have 2 cabinet freezers I keep full with either fresh or cook products.

Gamesaver Plus is what I use now. I vac seal everything, buy ground beef at Sam's and break down into 1# packs; 10# of pinto beans same 1# packs; buy rub 5# at a time and vac seal into smaller packs; same for summer sausage, pulled pork, coffee beans, fresh peas and beans. They'll keep for years. I found a pack of venison cube steaks from 2012 in the bottom back of the freezer, fried 'em up, no difference in look or taste from fresh ones. So, yes I like vac sealing vs. ziplock.

I have an old food-saver. How do you tackle the liquid in the food from preventing a good seal?
Cibelo

I have an old food-saver. How do you tackle the liquid in the food from preventing a good seal?
Cibelo

I get a good seal in-spite of the liquid. I can hear the liquid hissing when the seal kicks in. I will double-seal liquid/wet stuff typically though.

Cibelo

I use one of the blue paper towels folded at the top of the bag, catches the wet stuff before it can get to the sealing bar.

Def worth it. Love my vac sealer. I actually prefer the most basic manual sealer over the newer foodsaver models. Hate the way the new sealers make you use more material than necessary by forcing you you to make a 1.5" seal when their own seals on pre-made bags are 1/4"

Back