THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting... I'm going to have to try that when I have time to cook a butt at home.

Now... About the cuban pork... Is that posted here somewhere? if not, will you share the recipe and process?

I followed Kings steps exactly and the Pulled Pork was perfect. The injection was the piece I was missing. I will be injecting every time from now on.

Nice detailed post. Wonder how apple pie spice would taste on ribs? I'm going to have to try since I'm smoking ribs today.

I've tried the apple spice, it's got great flavor, but the pumpkin spice is a really unique flavor for ribs that works. I've also done the apple spice with ground jalapeno powder, that was good too!

Oh man...that sure sounds good.
I'm ready to dive into that right now.
I guess I know what I'm planning to smoke in the near future.
Thanks for sharing this.

The injection sounds great!! We don't get pumpkin spice here but I looked it up and I found 4 options for making some. Which do you think would work?
  • Mix 1/4 cup of cinnamon with 4 tsp of ground ginger and 2 tsp of nutmeg
  • Mix 1/4 cup cinnamon with 1 Tbsp each of ground ginger, nutmeg, and ground cloves
  • Mix 1/4 cup cinnamon with 2 Tbsp of ground ginger and 1 Tbsp each of nutmeg and ground cloves
  • Mix 2 Tbsp each of cinnamon and ground ginger with 1 Tbsp ground nutmeg and 1 tsp ground allspice

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of those options. But if I had to pick it would be the last option.

BTW...try that rub on a rack of ribs...it's excellent!

King your pork butt looks really good. I have been doing the same thing with the pork butts I smoke except I have been injecting them with peach juice. I also let them smoke until they reach 200 degrees. Everyone really likes them. Thanks for the post and sharing.

Great idea and it looks fanfreakingtastic - I will be trying as soon as possible. I built my own cider press so I will be using my home-squeezed, non-pasteurized, non-filtered non-messed with deliciousness.

Looking mighty tasty! Thanks for posting. Now make me a sandwich please!

Essentially, I took the same approach I did with the Smoke Cuban Pork.

I start with a traditional flavor pairing for pork…apples. Actually, I’m using apple cider which is bountiful towards the end of summer and into the fall. To compliment not only the flavors, but the season too, I added a pumpkin spiced rub:

1 tbsp Pumpkin pie spice
1 tbsp Brown sugar
1 tbsp Granulated garlic
1 tsp Paprika
Black and white pepper

The Injection
5291-e1315499078186.jpg

531-e1315499126290.jpg

• 2 cups Apple Cider
  • 2 tbsp Pumpkin Spiced Rub
539-e1315499507609.jpg

Instructions

1. Boil the ingredients in a sauce pan until the rub dissolves. Let it cool.
  2. Fill the needle and start injecting the liquid into the meat.
  3. Place the pork in the refrigerator up to 48 hours, I marinated it for about 36 hours.
I was kind of confused when I started mixing the injection ingredients. The pumpkin spice was listed twice. Then I thought, maybe that is for the rub. Anyway, I used the 5 ingredients shown above. I used a 11 pound butt with all of the outer fat removed. The bark and smoke ring turned out great. I can still smell the garlic but it did not over power the pork taste. I plan to try it again and reduce the amount of garlic next time.

Back