Anyone have a good duck recipe?

I like duck on the rotisserie. Seasoned with some Cajun seasoning. Turned out good. I don't cook it very often since wife hates it. I put a pan under it to catch the drippings. Duck fat has many uses:-D

Last edited:
I like duck on the rotisserie. Seasoned with some Cajun seasoning. Turned out good. I don't cook it very often since wife hates it. I put a pan under it to catch the drippings. Duck fat has many uses:-D
Looks great. What temp, breast/thigh?

I think it was 165. I'm not a fan of medium rare poultry. I know some say to only cook duck breast to a lower temp, but I like my steak medium rare and my birds done.
Agree with the "done". I like min falling off the bone.

A Benelli and some heavy shot. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mine, a Super Black Eagle. #2 steel or #4 for close in.

I wish I knew duck and goose hunters here in TX that don't like the meat, because I would be glad to help out. A friend in Missouri used to give me a couple of breasts from his hunts every so often. I liked eating them!

The biggest thing to remember is that ducks are like geese, and like turkeys. The wild versions and the tame versions taste very differently and need to be cooked differently. Don't confuse wild/tame here.

Just because you like the tame/or wild version of one does Not mean you will like the other version.

The differences in wild and tame fowl are far greater than farmed and feral hogs.

Andy, this doesn't really help answer your question since I have no real experience with farm raised ducks. But, with wild ducks, if you can get a couple of mallards, I like to separate the breast out and hit it with salt and pepper then start with the skin side down in a pan on low heat to start to render the fat out. As the fat renders I start basting the top of the breast and once it gets a nice golden brown on the skin I flip over to the other side and brown it and pull when it hits 130 or so. I think it is incredibly delicious and has never seemed greasy or gamey to me

I usually make peking duck or smoked duck gumbo.

This one is a smoked duck, conecuh sausage gumbo with duck skin chicharrones..
https://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2016/11/smoked-duck-gumbo-with-crispy-duck-skin.html

BSZq9yy.jpg

I save the drippin's while the duck smokes, save it for the gumbo. Remove the smoked skin and fry til crisp to top the gumbo.

I'm sure what ever you come up with will be delicious Andy!

Back