Anyone have a good duck recipe?

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
Mom used to make duck all the time at Christmas. Bought one on a whim the other day. Thinking I'd make that instead of prime rib. But I'll probably still smoke a prime rib as well.

Never cooked an entire duck before. Anyone have any tips? Smoked, grilled or roasted. As long as it comes out good. Take it for a spin on the Joetisserie maybe?

I did my 1st on a week ago after wanting to try it for decades. Tame duck from Walmart $3/lb and mine was 6 lbs. I cooked on my Rec Teq and it turned out great, much better than the wild ones we shot in the 70's! I'll do this again a couple of times per year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN3HWAIHPhQ

Dont have a recipe...

By chance what did the duck cost?
Was on sale, $3.99/lb. just under $17. Maple Leaf Farms, a smaller one, since we haven't had the huge gatherings in a number of years.

Soak the duck in a whiskey marinade over night. Prepare a hickory cooking plank by soaking a few hours in whiskey, move the duck to the plank.... set on your smoker at 275°, pour a whiskey (or two) for yourself .... and roast the duck for 30 min to one hour, basting with whiskey as needed. Pour yourself another whiskey. Then remove the planked duck..... throw the duck away and eat the plank.

Soak the duck in a whiskey marinade over night. Prepare a hickory cooking plank by soaking a few hours in whiskey, move the duck to the plank.... set on your smoker at 275°, pour a whiskey (or two) for yourself .... and roast the duck for 30 min to one hour, basting with whiskey as needed. Pour yourself another whiskey. Then remove the planked duck..... throw the duck away and eat the plank.

Thats how you cook cockatoo as well:laugh:

I cook them the same way I cook opossums.

1. Get a piece of plywood that will fit in the oven.
2. Prepare duck and place on plywood.
3. Cook at 350*F until internal breast temperature of duck is 167*F.
4. Let duck rest for at least one hour lightly tented with foil.
5. After properly rested scrape duck off plywood into trash.
6. Then throw plywood in trash.

Between opossum and duck, cannot decide which is more greasy.

Breast meat. S&P. Seared. Medium rare. Sliced thin. Wrap in white bread (fold overs) or tortillas (tacos).

A few years ago my son fixed duck meat/fried oyster nachos.

Only had a couple of experiences with cooking duck. Both were with farm raised ducks. The first time was smaller ducks about the size of a Cornish hen. Meat was OK, not bad, just not nirvana. The second time was a much larger duck that a friend brought to cook for the duck fat. We placed it in a pan on a rack to save the duck fat. IIRC it produced quite a bit of fat. Again, the meat was just meh.

Robert

Use to hunt a lot of ducks when I was a youngster, not for the eating though!

Strip out into thin pieces and use flour and some cajun spices to coat, fry in a hot skillet until crisp. Yeah, not what you wanted to hear, but best way I could cook them....

My experience with duck is that the less you do to it in preparation, the better the result. I salt mine, inside out, the night before the cook. Drain away the rendering the next day. Lightly dust the duck inside out with garlic powder, complete seasoning, pepper and a little more salt. Stick a pealed potato into the cavity (or half if it won't fit) and roast in oven at 375 for 3-3.5 hours. When done, the legs needs to part away from the carcass at the joint with gentle pressure. There is no comparison to a properly roasted duckling when it comes to taste and texture. The biggest problem is finding a suitable duckling (not full grown duck) good luck with that unless you are willing to part with $$$ on a Long Island duckling.

Since I am the main one in the house who likes it, I don't make it a lot, but I will order it at restaurants. The best recipe I have made so far is the "How to BBQ Right", Duck. He does a pretty good job.

At duck camp we always smoke a couple. We just salt and pepper and stuff cavity with whatever fruit we have and smoke low and slow. We baste with clarified butter and pull while still pink. Then we put carcasses in crock pot with vegetables and make stew.

Never have been happy with results in cooking waterfowl so mostly use in gumbo. Still prefer chicken and turkey in gumbo.

Duck hunting is definitely a miserable kind of hunting.

This is for domestic ducks, the white ones...I've done only a few so YMMV

They have a LOT of fat under the skin, I'd roast them on the off side grill to keep from flaming up, usually just a salt/pepper dusting, prick the skin, when they get close move onto hot side to crisp them up, a rotisserie would work good I'd think, duck is all dark meat, just so you know.

Back