Any husband/wife or family teams?

Something's stronger, that's for sure !

QUOTE=HarleyGirl14226;2479629]Our team is currently my husband and I.

We've been involved in competition BBQ in one way or another since 2009 but went out on our own in 2011. We love that we have this opportunity to spend time together and with our friends, and we've found that this experience has made our relationship stronger.[/QUOTE]

This is our team, we cant cook but we have fun trying!! Do not let the hair fool ya, wife and daughter are both part of the team..
picture.php

Just my wife and I. I do all of the food and cooker stuff, she makes boxes, cleans and is the runner for all but brisket.

This kids will join in as they get older.

Usually, it's just my soon-to-be-wife and me. Sometimes her daughter and our future son-in-law join us.

Thanks for all of your replies brethren. Other replies are still welcome. Also a nice addition to this thread, would be: what pits you cook what meat On at comps. And if you have any pics handy of your baby(s), that would be even mo betta.
Our comp pits are:
Bright red Pitmaker BBQ vault-cyberQ wifi controlled: brisket and ribs @300
UDS with weber lid, 2 cook levels-digiQ dx2 controlled: chicken @350
Old rusty brinkman Professional charcoal grill from a garage sale that i added Grill Grates. cooks a mean steak and sausage etc to feed us Friday nights

used to be husband and wife team. until i did this:

View attachment 79422

that's the organizer, not my wife, to the left. :oops:

always remember who helped you get where you are.

i cooked three events after that one and have not had as good results without her.

Last edited:
I will let you explain what happened. Easy to speculate. A few circumstances come to mind.

there's a very important member of my team not standing next to me receiving that award.

it kinda soured her on the whole thing. my fault, i wasn't thinking. :cry:

Was she there? Lol my wife lets me get all the bullchit ribbons but always comes up in a top 3 call and especially for a overall GC.

Lol, I woulda been Cookin by myself from then on out also! Lol you screw up I. That one. On the flip side, she as your team mate shoulda come up with you and failed to do so.

Lol I looked at the pics. That was a nice cover up for that overcooked brisket! I actually really like the split presentation. Nice pics!

Ha! Thanks. I basically turned in sauced pot roast. I was so frustrated and we end up getting a call with it. Unreal.

Just me and my girlfriend as of right now. We work well together. Here's the only pic I have of us at a comp. It was right after the filming of an episode of BBQ Pitmasters.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 68
My team 2 Live Q is mostly me and my buddy down the street. I'm the head cook as I have all the equipment and recipes etc. My buddy is good at making our schedule and keeping us on track. He's also very helpful at turn in times. I would love to have the wife part of the team, but with 3 young kids, that's kinda difficult. She's also not one for roughing it out either lol. If I'm still competing a few years down the road I can see my 6yr old son doing this with me. He's competitive and likes BBQ. :wink:Our families will usually make it out Sat. afternoon and hang out. We have a few friends and family that stop by too. Like many others I got the bug when I started watching pitmasters. About that same time I got serious about backyard BBQ when I got my bubba kegs. Went to help judge at a comp and I left feeling confident ,feeling that I could do too, lol. I've only done 7 comps but my last few I've turned the corner is all my turn-ins, especially ribs, which used to be my worst category. A couple weeks ago I managed a 1st in ribs among 34 teams, 7th in chicken and a 11 or 12th in brisket. 4th overall.

chicken - kettle/old smokey 300-325* (just started using this)
ribs - bubba keg 275*
brisket - 22 WSM with pitmasterIQ 250-275* I used to use my 2nd bubba keg, but decided I needed to lighten my load.. that and it has a tendency to run hot on me.:mmph:

Cooking since '99 with my wife. Added a new team member this year, our 4 year old red headed granddaughter.

Started on a Bandara, went to WSM's and then a Lang 84 and in '05 went to the FEC100 and in in 2011 added the FEPG500. Still do some contests with the WSM's and PG500 combo when by myself and traveling light.

Back