Annual Parade Day BBQ

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Today (Tuesday) a downtown parade kicked off our Fair & Rodeo week, and for 25 years or so one of my cookin' buddies has a BBQ because his office is at the end of the parade route. Every year we serve local yearling lamb, pulled pork, sloppy Joes, hot dogs in beer, tons of salads, desserts as well as liquid refreshments of all kinds. For me it started at 3 pm Monday when we prepped the main meats and fired the pit. The pork butts were on by 7 pm and the legs of lamb went on at 10 or 11 pm. My buddy cooked the first shift through the night.

iDGYRUn.jpg

I had the early morning shift starting at 5 am :cool: and arrived at the perfect time to wrap the butts, and then the lamb.

4Qve9qO.jpg

hpCREim.jpg

TjKvYwi.jpg

iDKskAc.jpg

cykDp0d.jpg

Our serving time is somewhat flexible based on the number of parade entries, and an entry can be one person on horseback, a firetruck, or the entire Municipal Band. This is an election year, so every politician was there dressed to the 9's in cowboy garb for a total of 233 entries. Anyway we were all set-up and ready to serve at 11 am, and a line was forming just after noon as the parade ended. In the next 2 hours we served about 150 people of all ages, and speaking of the band... they showed up too. The temps were close to 100° but it was a good day.

DbRYhFo.jpg

SfernSQ.jpg

LYP1Ar2.jpg

Looks like a really nice time and town event. Love the band set up! Would love to peel one of those onions and eat it up with some pork or lamb. Kinda use each layer like a tortilla and fill it up with meat. I'd hit all of that hard and thrice on Sunday!
Very nice set up all around!

Bob

Looks like a really nice time and town event. Love the band set up! Would love to peel one of those onions and eat it up with some pork or lamb. Kinda use each layer like a tortilla and fill it up with meat. I'd hit all of that hard and thrice on Sunday!
Very nice set up all around!

Bob

Thanks for the kind words. After the weiners are cooked they move to 1/2 pans with more beer and move into the smoker. By now the pit is at holding temps (160°) so they get some smoke flavor and red color. After serving (and snacking from slices of money muscle) I made a hot dog with a little pulled pork and smoked onion along the side of the weiner... The combination was just great and hit the spot.

Looks like a great time Wayne Love the onion idea How long do you smoke them

I think the onions went on about 1 or 2 in the morning and I wrapped them at 7 am and held in the hot box. We started using them in the belief they helped to add moisture to the pit... but serving them became so popular we cook them regardless of whether there is any truth to that. They are also really good in soup.

Years ago we used 3 smaller smokers for this event, and would keep one up to temp after the meat was wrapped and in the hot box. We fed that fire yellow onions cut in half only because they produce a great aroma which sort of fools the guests.

Back