And yet another UDS...

Since you brazed the lid exh.
You have a torch, use that to heat the lid before reshaping to make flattening easier.

Seasoning going on now.
And learning the temp controlling and burning times of fire basket:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Attachments

• IMG-20190216-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20190216-WA0003.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG-20190216-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20190216-WA0013.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 75
Looks too nice for a ugly drum smoker! You over-engineered it :cool: Do you mind sharing your hinge design? Asking for a friend. :mrgreen:

Thanks,
I just made cardboard templates and hoped they worked:-D
The pulling handle there also works as a lid stopper

Attachments

• IMAG0353.jpg
    IMAG0353.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0354.jpg
    IMAG0354.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0355.jpg
    IMAG0355.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 69
I wish the was a piece of anything in there to make the wait worth :cry:

I usually do something simple when seasoning, or testing a new build, like a fatty or chicken etc. Kill two birds with one stone.

Looks nice BTW. In the future, if you ever build a second, you should just drill the hinges and lid and put some pretty stainless steel screws in with nuts and large fender washers on underside. Or screw heads on underside with fender washers and stainless acorn nuts on topside for show. It will be just as solid and no chance of warping lid.

I usually do something simple when seasoning, or testing a new build, like a fatty or chicken etc. Kill two birds with one stone.

Looks nice BTW. In the future, if you ever build a second, you should just drill the hinges and lid and put some pretty stainless steel screws in with nuts and large fender washers on underside. Or screw heads on underside with fender washers and stainless acorn nuts on topside for show. It will be just as solid and no chance of warping lid.
Would you believe me if I tell you I can't fender washers here easily? same as with specialty SS screws and nuts.
I do get SS rods and some tubing in a place where they sell metals for machining about 10 miles from where I live :rolleyes:

By the way... I just threw a burger patty in there:wink:

Would you believe me if I tell you I can't fender washers here easily? same as with specialty SS screws and nuts.
I do get SS rods and some tubing in a place where they sell metals for machining about 10 miles from where I live :rolleyes:

By the way... I just threw a burger patty in there:wink:

I believe you. By the way you can use galvanized bolts etc. it takes around 550 degrees before galvanizing burns off so unless your going to get hotter than that you wouldn’t have to worry. And something I have done in past is take a torch and heat to blue/dull red and galvanizing will burn off and be gone. Just food for thought since you don’t have access to stainless.

Hola
Your very talented mate,nice work.
Be interested to hear what your friends think, Asado seems very traditional usually

Thanks titch!
I'm not talented, I just happen to own few tools, enjoy spending time learning to use them and lots of free time :-D.
Yes this is a completely new concept of cooking for me but that's another thing I enjoy doing. I always say I'm a compulsive learner:p:p.
Fernando

Thanks titch!
I'm not talented, I just happen to own few tools, enjoy spending time learning to use them and lots of free time :-D.
Yes this is a completely new concept of cooking for me but that's another thing I enjoy doing. I always say I'm a compulsive learner:p:p.
Fernando

My favorite thing to cook on mine is anything that's a short cook. I made some bacon wrapped stuffed fatties this weekend for supper and WOW! Between my wife fatty and mine I had leftovers for 2 meals. And I can still do a long smoke if the urge hits me. These things rock! You just wait till you start seeing your results. Congrats!

Ok, I'll have to ask...
What do you call fatties?

You will get a lot of answers now lol which is good for you. Basically a log of your favorite breakfast sausage covered in your favorite bbq rub and smoked. Then you can go one step further and make a stuffed fatty. Pics from sundays meal.

Last edited:
If you're going to start making stuffed fatties a Fatty piston is a nice thing to have. It's been a few years but I believe a member here called cowgirl came up with it and had it in a blog or something. Anyways it is just a piece of 3/4" pvc pipe with endcaps that fit inside a piece of 1" pvc pipe for the filling. Here's a video of me stuffing mine sunday so you can get the jist.

https://scontent-msp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t66.18014-6/52762039_1934965533293139_8605368328115308029_n.mp4?_nc_cat=105&efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6Im9lcF9oZCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent-msp1-1.xx&oh=46610e7003f546b0f1c2f58cf2a08434&oe=5CEDC549

Here is Cowgirl's web site http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...ck-pit_19.html
Lots of good stuff/info there.

Stuffed turkey fatties are a big hit with some extra cranberry dressing on the side.
Roll out breakfast sausage between plastic wrap. Load with chopped left over turkey, stuffing, cranberry dressing. Roll/form, dry rub, then smoke.

Attachments

• IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0255.jpg
    IMG_0255.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 61
I'm tempted to smoke a piece of beef this next week since there are some friends coming bu I'm not sure I want to use them as guinea pigs or at least I'll need to have a plan B just in case...
As far as I understand cooking time is about an hour per pound of meat correct?
There is a cut I roasted in the oven for New year's and came out super tender and weights about 5~6 lbs. I might order one of those. I just don't want it to be dry.
These friends from Montana as well as I we eat the meat as soon as it stops moving :mrgreen:

Back