And yet another UDS...

Damnit you’re making me hungry ebijack! I haven’t had breakfast yet :wink: yes definitely check out cowgirls website. I couldn’t recall where it was only that I found it and her ideas are excellent.

So I'm going to wet my feet this Friday with some baby back ribs. Am I correct to assume that is about an hour per pound give or take????
Sorry if it is a silly question but this thing of cooking inside a charcoal drum is a totally new concept to me. You see this is how I grew up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Zz_mNXnOg

Last edited:
Are you going to hang the ribs?
What temp are you going to smoke at?
Are you going with a drip pan, no pan, use a deflector?
Are you going to wrap?
All those can make a difference in time.
If you want to fit 2 full racks of babybacks. A "hump" grate helps.
Oh, and the babyback drippings turns biskets and sausage gravy into a much more wonderful thing.

Attachments

• bb ribs grate (2).jpg
    bb ribs grate (2).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 39
  • bb ribs grate (4).jpg
    bb ribs grate (4).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 40
  • bb ribs grate (3).jpg
    bb ribs grate (3).jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 39
  • bb ribs grate (1).jpg
    bb ribs grate (1).jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 39
Hi ebijack,
I think I'll be cooking just one rib rack this time (I might throw a cowboy steak on the side just to see how it comes out). My UDS seems to like the 275° zone (actually anything above 250°) yes to the heat deflector, no to the pan.
Wrapping... Not sure, may be once I get the color I like?
As I said this is all new territory for me.
I just want an approximate of how many hours so they are not done three hours too really or not done by dinner time. So some ball park figure to make sure they are cooked anything from one hour early to half hour too late.

Quite a few use the 3-2-1 method.
3 hrs smoking
2 hrs wrapped in foil
1 hr unwrapped to add sauce, get a crust.
The ones I showed above went 4.5 hrs at 250* straight. Using the drip pan. No flip, or rotating.
But time also varies due to the thickness of ribs you buy. We have 4 sizes here.
If you are able to "hold" smoked meat from 140*F to 160*F, toaster oven, roasting oven etc..
You can hold the ribs for as long as you need. Makes for a much easier/less stressful cook. I've held ribs for 16 hrs for a very large cook.
You can hold in an oven. But most oven only go down to 170*. Which would be fine for a few hours.
You can also wrap, cover in blankets and keep in a cooler for a few hrs to hold. The larger the mass of meat. The better that works.
Plus other methods.

Back