An overnight brisket on the drum...

Looks great, Jeanie.
Of course, I think I could just start opening up your posts and type, "Looks great, Jeanie" without even reading the post and I'd still be right.

How long and at what temp? What type of charcoal and how much? I also smoked a briskie overnight this weekend with lows in the teens. I'm curious as I think I'm not getting the same performance out of my drum that others do.

Chicago here also. I got awful performance out of my drum in early December when the temps were low. Awful meaning that it I had to run it wide open and it burned charcoal at about 4x the rate. I've since wrapped it in a welding blanket and it runs the same as it did when it was 80* outside. I got a thread about it somewhere here.

Looks great. I'm still working my way up to a brisket. I like your idea of putting the fat on top. I might try that.

I already have too many rubs, and some that I haven't tried yet. But I'm making a list of more rubs to try. Where is Al's rub sold? I'll keep it in mind.

Thank you everybody!

How long and at what temp? What type of charcoal and how much? I also smoked a briskie overnight this weekend with lows in the teens. I'm curious as I think I'm not getting the same performance out of my drum that others do.

kwas68... I put it in the drum at 250.. left it in there for 10 hours. It got VERY cold that night but the drum did fine.. the brisket came out nice and moist. The drum was still fairly warm in the morning.
I use plain old briquettes... my basket holds about 8lbs of coal.
here's link to my drum and basket.. http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/05/my-uds-so-far.html

lol I would have shared!!

Looks great. I'm still working my way up to a brisket. I like your idea of putting the fat on top. I might try that.

I already have too many rubs, and some that I haven't tried yet. But I'm making a list of more rubs to try. Where is Al's rub sold? I'll keep it in mind.

Al is a member here... I bet he'd be happy to talk to you about some. :)

Thanks again! :)

Nice job Jeanie. Just out of curiousity, why fat side down?
Thanks!
I like the way briskets and pork shoulders turn out on the drum with the fat side down. The layer of fat kind of protects the meat from overheating in the center of the drum.
On my horizontals I do the opposite. :-D

Looks great, Jeanie.
Of course, I think I could just start opening up your posts and type, "Looks great, Jeanie" without even reading the post and I'd still be right.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I've literally thought before, "Do I really NEED to look at the pron to post a compliment?"
....but I always look.........ALWAYS.:becky:

I'm curious though Jeanie.....why fat side down on the drum and not the offset? I assume because of the direct fire below? I've only done fat cap up, but have only done 3 briskets so far, but have thought that the fat on top would "baste" the roast. Does putting the fat cap down somehow "protect" the roast?

Just a preference thing or have you noticed a difference?

Oh, and OK I'll say it AGAIN.....

Looks great Cowgirl. Beauty smoke ring.:wink:

As always, Jeanie, good lookin' eats right there!

(and, yes, I did put my bib on before opening your post this time)

That is a fine looking brisket. You now are responsilbe for the next (cooker, meal at the house, Cowgirl potatoes and brisket, what else should we have? :-D

Hey Pal, what temp. did you cook it at for that long?

Thanks Dave and Rick! :-D

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I've literally thought before, "Do I really NEED to look at the pron to post a compliment?"
....but I always look.........ALWAYS.:becky:

I'm curious though Jeanie.....why fat side down on the drum and not the offset? I assume because of the direct fire below? I've only done fat cap up, but have only done 3 briskets so far, but have thought that the fat on top would "baste" the roast. Does putting the fat cap down somehow "protect" the roast?

Just a preference thing or have you noticed a difference?

Oh, and OK I'll say it AGAIN.....

Looks great Cowgirl. Beauty smoke ring.:wink:

Thanks Wampus! I do them fat side down on the drum to protect the meat from the direct heat. I like em best that way... I save the trimmed fat for the top though.. love the way it renders into the meat. I also do this with pork..(fat side down) in the drum. Thanks again....

Hey Pal, what temp. did you cook it at for that long?

cooker man, I put it in at 250 then went to bed. If the temperature dipped or spiked during the night.. I have no idea. The drum smokes pretty steady though. The weather was really cold that night. I'm sure the drum probably didn't get much higher than where I had it set.
Sorry..can't be of more help!

Thanks again friends.

Back