An open question to everybody...

With Westport, CT and Norwalk, CT within 20 miles and the BBQ Brethren in Sayville,NY 1.5 hours away... and Harvard, MA (even with the mud) about 2.25 hours away...it will make me very happy. If things go right, I would like to return to Lake Placid, NY (4.5 hr) and Merrimack, NH (3.5 hr). Of course I'd like to go back to the AR next year...and Harpoon!!

For the time being...learning the "Twins" this winter is my goal. I might even "Freeze My Butt Off" in February in Maynard, MA....

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Oops...

Forgot where we started...

Hudson Valley Rib Festival, New Paltz, NY (1.5 hr)....

You doin the entire IA curcuit next year? Which one's did you do this year? We did State Center, LaPorte and Waucoma. In 09 we're thinking Porkalossal, Waterloo, LaPorte, Waucoma and one more in IA and 3 in MO.

Good luck on the trailer hunt, I just got my new toyhauler home this week...the crew is coming over tomorrow to start "finishing" it.

We live right on the IA/MN border so our tentative schedule looks like Austin Mn, Owatonna Mn, Marshalltown, Mason City, Waterloo, Waucoma, Albert Lea Mn, Independance, Sparta WI, then two of either State Center, Huron Sd, Shannon Il, or Libertyville Il.

I would like to do the Qlossal, but I don't have a whole hog cooker?? This year we did Sparta WI, Libertyville Il, and a non KCBS event up here.

We probably won't be cutting back on comps... just planning better and hopefully catering more. I figure if we start now, we can budget/save up the cash for the AR trip. I'm looking at FYBO-MA, PITP-MD, Peter's Pond-MA, possibly Merrimac-NH, Lake Placid-NY, Hudson Valley-NY, Harpoon-VT, Maine, Harvard-MA, hopefully a MABA or two, probably back to the Oink-NY, American Royal-MO.

If we can do all of those that would qualify us for KCBS ToY (under the new rules)...

Oh... don't forget the Road Trip to MIM... that's on the list too.

Hey Podge
We probably won't reduce the number of contests (though we never do more than a dozen a year), but if the economy stays the same or gets worse, it is pretty much guaranteed we'll stay close to home again.

If it gets worse, and we get lucky enough to get invited again for our 6th year, we might even have to reconsider driving out to the Royal. But it would have to get real bad ;-)

Chris

Actually, we are ramping up from local comps to those that are a bit further out. It's the only way we can get beyond the VFD Cookoff and advance with our skills.

I actually plan to do a few more comps this year than I did last year. My wife was out of work for 8 months the beginning of this year so we had to scale back on expenses...but now she is gainfully employed again! :biggrin:

This was our first season competing and we did 4 contests.We are hoping to do a few more this coming year.With the only early season contest in Wi moving its date back so that all of the Wi contests fall in August and september we are looking at Illinios and iowa ,minnesota and Michigan for an early one or two.I plan on taking a judging class and am going to try to get to judge a few of the Wi contest that we wont be able to compete in.Also folks keep an eye out for changes in Princeton.

I am hoping to go 50/50 with another team for some of the events next year that would make it easier.

Sled I am sure my team will be glad to have you if you ever want to team up and cut costs a little bit. Let us know.

We will be doing a few more most likely. Love the comps, luckly they are within two hours of our house.

Its 18 degrees outside, and I am actually thinking about firing up the smoker and go practice for the 09 season. I cant say with any accuracy how many comps we are cooking in 09, but I will not miss Madison, Owensboro, Kettering, and a new one that is about 30 minutes from my house.

Even if I have to sell the secret to 15 place brisket, I will be there.

Podge, if the economy gets worse we could combine forces at a comp or 2..

What will happen to the Competition BBQ World next year. What, if anything, is KCBS BOD's planning to minimize the effect of the economy on the organization ?

I don't see what the BOD can do to minimize the impact of the economy. They are a business and they need a certain amount of revenue to survive so I'm guessing they are not going to drop their sanctioning fee.

For a lot of contests last year, seems the attendance was down, and things were seemingly good for the most part with the exception of gas prices.

You and I have talked about this in length and as you know, the main reason that I think the attendance is down at some comps is because the organizers have gotten lethargic and do not put forth the effort to attract the teams. With more events to choose from it is no longer a thing of build it and they will come.

If you are a contest organizer, how will this affect your contest ? Will you still plan on having one ?

You know Kettering is still going to happen! Next year it will be bigger and better than ever and we will have to cap it at 50 teams. We are also working to make sure that everybody gets a chance to leave with a dog tag. :wink:

If you are a competitor, or a judge, will you change your schedule and eliminate some contests ?

As a competitor, I plan to do as many next year as I did this year. The one thing that could throw a wrench in that plan is my employment status but we'll see what happens.

Great question and thanks for asking it.

I do know that I am going to be extremely choosy about which contests we do. There will be 65+ events within a couple of hours of KC so there is no reason to tolerate cramped quarters, poor amenities, or poor organization. I hope organizers take that to heart and get the prize monies up to where they should be.

I think prize monies will shrink... You have already seen philanthropic spending down with bigger corporate sponsors. I think you will see these local marketing dollars down as well. I don't see prize money going up this year.

Man, I am just hoping to be able to make it back to Lake Placid this summer.

We are making that trip this year. :razz:

Actually not really planning on changing much....being in Cleveland is an oddity....pretty much a minimum of three hours to ANY contest....but, given the experience that I had in NC this year I would forgo the little extras just to make sure that I can make it to at least Shelby again. It is going to take some creative funding, yes, but, the experience is one....for the most part....that is priceless.....the people that we have met at comps, sharing this damn hobby, and the places we get to see....hard to replace that.....and besides, thirty years from now, what are we going to have besides the memories?
Now, that all being said, I do agree with Jim, I will not enter a contest just based on field of dreams...build it and they will come......because I dont want to pay for a bad experience.......unorganized......chaotic......
Prime Choices:
-Kettering, OH, Madison, IN, Boston, NY, Fairbanks, IN, Clarence, NY, Shelby, NC....and most likely Nelsonville, OH........and maybe fill in a couple along the way besides those......suggestions?

Adding Peoples Choice or Taste of Championship BBQ is a lot of work for the teams I know. But we have to find a way to get cash back into every teams pockets not just the top ten winners At Stagecoach many of the teams will make over $1000 working the PC sales. The crowd loves getting the "real" BBQ We will refine this more in 2009
Some new ideas will be used to make this easier for the teams

Hopefully not in Ohio to give the rest of us a chance.......LOL

Pickled Pig, you're awesome for keeping those kind of statistics and I really enjoy your site !!:grin: good work !!

I've started going thru my potential contest list, and since there seems to be a couple more contests close to my house, it seems my travel at least will be less next year.

Podge told me he was going to take Ohio this year like Grant took Richmond.

What about New Paltz, Troy, and a few new ones in The Poconos. Maybe even a New Long Island contest.

With Westport, CT and Norwalk, CT within 20 miles and the BBQ Brethren in Sayville,NY 1.5 hours away... and Harvard, MA (even with the mud) about 2.25 hours away...it will make me very happy. If things go right, I would like to return to Lake Placid, NY (4.5 hr) and Merrimack, NH (3.5 hr). Of course I'd like to go back to the AR next year...and Harpoon!!

For the time being...learning the "Twins" this winter is my goal. I might even "Freeze My Butt Off" in February in Maynard, MA....

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Rochester and Troy NY
Actually not really planning on changing much....being in Cleveland is an oddity....pretty much a minimum of three hours to ANY contest....but, given the experience that I had in NC this year I would forgo the little extras just to make sure that I can make it to at least Shelby again. It is going to take some creative funding, yes, but, the experience is one....for the most part....that is priceless.....the people that we have met at comps, sharing this damn hobby, and the places we get to see....hard to replace that.....and besides, thirty years from now, what are we going to have besides the memories?
Now, that all being said, I do agree with Jim, I will not enter a contest just based on field of dreams...build it and they will come......because I dont want to pay for a bad experience.......unorganized......chaotic......
Prime Choices:
-Kettering, OH, Madison, IN, Boston, NY, Fairbanks, IN, Clarence, NY, Shelby, NC....and most likely Nelsonville, OH........and maybe fill in a couple along the way besides those......suggestions?

Adding Peoples Choice or Taste of Championship BBQ is a lot of work for the teams I know. But we have to find a way to get cash back into every teams pockets not just the top ten winners At Stagecoach many of the teams will make over $1000 working the PC sales. The crowd loves getting the "real" BBQ We will refine this more in 2009
Some new ideas will be used to make this easier for the teams

Tom You are great organizer. I think trying to give teams the chance to make money is great. How does that effect your vendors, and how do you make up for vendor fees if you don't have the BBQ vendors. Just wondering.

Thom You are great organizer. I think trying to give teams the chance to make money is great. How does that effect your vendors, and how do you make up for vendor fees if you don't have the BBQ vendors. Just wondering.

LOL I dont know about great LOL
At Stagecoach the Music is the Star
The Vendors start slower during the PC
Then the evening break in the music comes
PC is over 64,000 people have been smelling Que all day
Yea you got it standing in lines 100 deep
at all the BBQ vendors They do VERY well

At smaller contests we dont have vendors
the teams and the charity take that money
rather than give it away for a small percentage

The PC money is split with the teams
either by thirds if the event buys the meat