THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wombat

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
We are all set for the American Royal Invitational and Open and have received our site allocation. We are right in the middle surrounded by teams who have inspired us to start competing. What is the general etiquette in going up to these guys for a chat or a quick happy snap? I can imagine they would be under the pump with 860 or so teams all trying to get a piece of the action.

Walk up to them, extend you hand, shake, open beer, drink, burp..

there, you bonded.

seriously, unless you hit a BBQ snob or decide to walk up to them at 11:50am at crunch time.. you will find that everyone is open and friendly.. use common sense and discretion.. friday night(for invitational) they may have the game face on, but during the day go intrioduce yourself.. no one bites. (well, not that i know of).. and if they are flying a brethren banner, you should be invited right in..

Thanks for that. We have no idea what to expect at this event.Our comps downunder only have at most 85 teams or so and everyone is very relaxed and friendly (except around hand in time). I just didn't want make it a pain in the butt for the very people that have drawn us into BBQ. Hopefully I can catch up with a few of the Brethren over the weekend. We are probably going to be pretty overwhelmed by the sheer size of it all but it should be a blast.

Hey Wombat, glad you decided to come.

I am an Ambassador, and will look you up. You will have your own Ambassador assigned to your area to help with registration, meat inspection, and to answer your questions like the one you just asked.

Look forward to meeting you. Gonna be a blast!

We are all set for the American Royal Invitational and Open and have received our site allocation. We are right in the middle surrounded by teams who have inspired us to start competing. What is the general etiquette in going up to these guys for a chat or a quick happy snap? I can imagine they would be under the pump with 860 or so teams all trying to get a piece of the action.

It's customary to bring a fine bottle of ice cold sipping whiskey to the neighbors site and ask if they would like a shot of it. You'll get a positive reaction 99% of the time and the other one percent will be a good indicator of who to avoid.

I can't wait to catch up with you fellas. Competitive BBQ is only a couple of years old downunder and there are only around 200 serious competitive teams so being part of the Royal will blow our minds. Its going to be a massive learning curve for us as we are running blind in terms of flavour profiles and will be using a borrowed YS-1500 where as we normally use a vertical insulated cabinet for most of our cooks

Fairly new to the competition scene, but looking forward to getting bid to cook in this one and the Jack. Hoping for next year, good luck to all competing.

Back