Am I just not cut out for a stick burner?

^^^^ That's pretty much it. Always keep your exhaust wide open. The size of your fire is the key to your temp. When adding more wood, put it to the side so it "warms up" for a while and stats to singe. SOmtimes that's all you have to do to get good sweet blue.

Cheers

Bill

Burn your first fire down to the coal. Get a good bed of hot coals going then add wood as needed

YOu dont want to add so much wood that you get a dirty smoke, get yoursmoke running blue and your'e good to go. As for too much smoke or wood taste, you could foil after a couple of hours, I do not , but its an option. Also , chicken sucks up smoke readily so watch your cooking times and again, blue smoke........

I've been cooking on an offset for 6 years now and I'm still learning the tricks to maintaining a clean fire. I cooked for a church activity last Sat. We had some strong South winds so I set up the pit on the North side of the church. After fighting to maintain temp. for an hour I determined that I was not getting enough flow into the firebox, the strong wind and the configuration of the building was creating a situation where the wind was actually sucking the heat out of the cooking chamber on occasions and starving combustion. Turned the pit 90 degrees and she started cooking like a charm.

Dont give up on the offset, study the situation and change the variables. Experiment, there is alway a way.

Burn your first fire down to the coal. Get a good bed of hot coals going then add wood as needed

YOu dont want to add so much wood that you get a dirty smoke, get yoursmoke running blue and your'e good to go. As for too much smoke or wood taste, you could foil after a couple of hours, I do not , but its an option. Also , chicken sucks up smoke readily so watch your cooking times and again, blue smoke........

Our very first catering my wife had to throw the chicken away as she didnt keep our Horizon runing the "sweet blue"......Learn on a stickburner, you'll be a better cook for it and less of a food technician.

Back