Advice for setting up a BBQ shed?

-Chris-

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Chris
I have finally come to a set of cookers that I feel no need to upgrade and want to get them outside. I live in the northeast, so I am dealing with rain, snow, and hot/cold weather. I am trying to figure out footprint and clearances for the following cookers:

Shirley 24x36
Yoder 640
Blackstone griddle
36"x48" pizza oven
"maybe" my XL BGE

I think I want a 3 sided lean-to type structure. What is the right form factor? shallow and wide? Deep and narrow? Square?

I am planning on a steel roof and maybe an overall steel structure.

Chris

I had watched a neighbor and his friends build something very similar. I could see his property from my lower field. Three sides..the opening faced windward. Pretty amusing when the weather hit.
Just something ta think about.

-D

I would set up all the equipment you want in the yard and arrange how you want. Keep in kind any counter space , sink, etc. This will guide you more than any of us can.

This is the right idea. I'm in the same process myself, living in the NE I'm looking for a solid roof overhead so I can use it year round. I started with a 10x10' deck idea but then expanded it to 12'x12' for room then realized I need even more space so now I'm rethinking the whole deal & will probably have to build it in another area that's not as close to the house.

My basic idea is to build a deck with 4x4 posts extended up on each corner to create a lean-to configuration. From there I will probably close the sides/back in & build some shelving into one of the side walls. From there I will probably arrange my cookers into a U shape with the cookers against the walls.

I’m in NE Ohio and built this spring of 2020.

16x16 roof

24x36 Shirley
Blackstone
Humphreys Pint
Weber Performer
Weber 26” Kettle
BBQ Hutch
Small Butcher Block table

I went with a gravel floor for protection from fire, but mainly because I know how I am and anything else would just end up as a big stain

7aa25ea82701976b119b02f350bd04c1.jpg

I'd say keep it as close the the kitchen as possible. Every time you think damn, I need a spatula or whatever it is nice to have it close. My first outdoor cooking area was chosen on style over substance - just saying.

In the Woods brings up a great point about the prevailing wind -
in the winter, I would think yours is out of the NW, and out of the SE in the summer,
so that's a big consideration.

All I can add to the good suggestions above is that you may want to go with a translucent corrugated roof from fiberglass considering your location. Will give you some solar warming and is strong enough to hold snow.

I built a 18'x26' carport and had the south and west ends covered, most of our storms come from the west and south, my wife calls it a grill port lol , I can tarp the end and sides easy if needed ,concrete floor makes life easy when I need to move stuff, about $4000 invested

Don't forget to plan for power (both 120v and 240v), lighting and music. And if you go corrugated roof, make sure the overlap is in the right direction. Might seem obvious, but I've seen it wrong more than once.

All I can add to the good suggestions above is that you may want to go with a translucent corrugated roof from fiberglass considering your location. Will give you some solar warming and is strong enough to hold snow.

Exactly what I'm going to do when the price of lumber finally comes down.

I went with the minimalist approach, but works great for me. Mostly I didn't want to cover my offset but wanted shelter from the sun and rain. I built this last year, and it's worked out great.

While I'm not a fan of facebook, there is a BBQ shack facebook group that can give a lot of ideas - both good and bad.

Attachments

• Smoke Shack.jpg
    Smoke Shack.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 179
  • smoke shack before.jpg
    smoke shack before.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 177
  • smoke shack wood rack.jpg
    smoke shack wood rack.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 178
I went with the minimalist approach, but works great for me. Mostly I didn't want to cover my offset but wanted shelter from the sun and rain. I built this last year, and it's worked out great.

While I'm not a fan of facebook, there is a BBQ shack facebook group that can give a lot of ideas - both good and bad.

4x4 or 6x6 posts? Yours is very similar to what I want to build but mine will be around 16x18.

4x4 or 6x6 posts? Yours is very similar to what I want to build but mine will be around 16x18.

4x4 posts. 3 of the footers are concrete in the ground, and I attached all 4 posts using surface mount anchors. It wasn't quite as stable as I had hoped, so I put the 45 cross members at the top. That worked great to tighten things up. I think if I did it over again, I would put the posts into the ground. Overall it's been awesome and it's great being able to have some shade while cooking.

Oh, and it's roughly 12 x 10 feet.

I would put the posts into the ground.
I agree - here I'd buy 12 footers and dig 30" holes and surround the 4x4 with concrete - it would be very solid.

And lumber here has come down - a 2x4x8 is now $3.50, I saw them over $11 each a while back. Not sure if PT wood has come down as much.

4x4 posts. 3 of the footers are concrete in the ground, and I attached all 4 posts using surface mount anchors. It wasn't quite as stable as I had hoped, so I put the 45 cross members at the top. That worked great to tighten things up. I think if I did it over again, I would put the posts into the ground. Overall it's been awesome and it's great being able to have some shade while cooking.

Oh, and it's roughly 12 x 10 feet.

Thanks mate. I have a concrete patio so I'll be using the surface mount anchors as well.

Back