Advice: Flank Steak

Kanco Connection

is Blowin Smoke!
What’s your typical prep for flank steak? It’s been awhile since I cooked one but have one in the fridge. In the past, I’ve cooked just like a regular steak, and other times I’ve marinated with Asian flavors and such. Any fans of flank steak out there? Anybody want to share their favorite flank steak prep?

What’s your typical prep for flank steak? It’s been awhile since I cooked one but have one in the fridge. In the past, I’ve cooked just like a regular steak, and other times I’ve marinated with Asian flavors and such. Any fans of flank steak out there? Anybody want to share their favorite flank steak prep?

One of our favorites!

Sous vide and reverse sear for steak tacos

5ac77f5315cdb415abd674acda14c980.jpg

09b1b7ce88dea536521490b9d7b2927d.jpg

c6a0e0b7d3b903785b414b8dda072d60.jpg

Butterfly, stuff with spinach and goat cheese , roll and smoke

12e6cebf980161c213549ea0e676a0f9.jpg

bb8c10d313679ce264fa1898be452a44.jpg

ccfebf730126e2b2486a68b49da03bc6.jpg

d3b0fc90fc307d365db67585bc4b26fe.jpg

And of course, Asian type marinade, grilled and served over rice

marinade in lemon juice, mexican oregano, SPG for about 4 hours. cook hot and fast on the grill to about 125 in the thickest part. rest. thin slice across the grain. serve with your favorite taco stuff...

marinade in lemon juice, mexican oregano, SPG for about 4 hours. cook hot and fast on the grill to about 125 in the thickest part. rest. thin slice across the grain. serve with your favorite taco stuff...

This would be my idea of a good time. :-D

Love flank steak! I often do a marinade of soy sauce, chopped onion, minced garlic, chopped cilantro, lime juice and lime zest + some sweetener (I'm borderline diabetic, so I use a non carb sweetener, but honey works really well here), and veggie oil. Let soak overnight in the marinade, then toss on the gasser to cook hot and fast (2 mins on high, turn 45 degrees, 2 mins on high, flip, 2 mins on high, turn 45 degrees, 2 mins on high, and then remove). Let rest, slice thin against the grain and enjoy!

And, if you're going to the trouble of cooking one, you might as well do two and stock the freezer. :idea:

Marinade works really well on pork tenderloin as well.

Bruce

Love flank steak! I often do a marinade of soy sauce, chopped onion, minced garlic, chopped cilantro, lime juice and lime zest + some sweetener (I'm borderline diabetic, so I use a non carb sweetener, but honey works really well here), and veggie oil. Let soak overnight in the marinade, then toss on the gasser to cook hot and fast (2 mins on high, turn 45 degrees, 2 mins on high, flip, 2 mins on high, turn 45 degrees, 2 mins on high, and then remove). Let rest, slice thin against the grain and enjoy!

And, if you're going to the trouble of cooking one, you might as well do two and stock the freezer. :idea:

Marinade works really well on pork tenderloin as well.

Bruce

I use a very similar marinade, but with chopped cilantro on skirt steak. Gonna try it on a flank I just bought. Thanks.

This isn't a grill recipe, but it is great. Also, the smell in the house is unreal. Saute about half and onion cut into chunks along with a carrot or two cut into chunks in a pot or dutch oven. Lay about a 1 or 2 pound piece of flank steak on top of the vegetables. Add some thyme, and about 3/4 bottle of good dry red wine.

Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook in a 300 degree oven until it is fork tender. Shred it, and chop it because the the shreds are very long. Strain the liquid, and mix some back into the beef. Flank is fairly lean, so it is somewhat dry when braised. It just soaks back up the braising liquid beautifully, and tastes amazing.

Its great for sandwiches, and quesadillas. Recently, I've been using it for homemade ravioli. Mash up the carrots and onions that you strain, mix it with some of the meat, a little ricotta, and a little parmesan. Its a great filling.

Back