Adjustable charcoal grill

Killa J

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Josh
I’ve been planning on buying a Lone Star Grillz adjustable charcoal grill for a while. It seems like it can pretty much do everything decently well, and some things really well. However, I’m about to quit my job and take a pretty significant pay cut, so I’ve decided a charcoal grill around $3500 after shipping isn’t the right move at the moment. So I’ve set a budget of $1500 shipped.

What I want out of the charcoal grill is the ability to quickly sear steaks but also cook a whole mess of burgers or hotdogs/brats on the same grill. Not at the same time. A rotisserie is a nice feature to have as well. The ability to smoke on it is a plus, but not really importance because I have 2 smokers already.

The one that interests me the most is the Napoleon charcoal grill. It’s got plenty of space (33.5x18 grate), and the charcoal pan is adjustable up and down. There aren’t many reviews out there. Seems most of the complaints are that it has no airflow control for the lid, just the air intake is controllable. So not very good at temp control for smoking. And with no way to control exhaust vents, you can’t control which way the heat and smoke flow. The grill is all stainless, the grates are a strange shaped enameled cast iron which I don’t know if I like or not. 15 year warranty.

Hasty-Bake has the Legacy and Gourmet, both of which are in my price range. Depending on taxes, the Gourmet may be a little over. Cons compared to the Napoleon are smaller main grilling area, and what looks like a smaller charcoal basket. It looks like the basket is 10% smaller than the grate, so it’s got one edge that isn’t directly above the charcoal. It seems like the Hasty-Bake is a better smoker, and it’s significantly easier to add charcoal and wood during a cook. Not stainless, shorter warranty than Napoleon.

There are probably more out there in my price range, so I’m open to suggestions as well.

There's not a lot of options in terms of quality, enclosed charcoal grills with adjustable charcoal gates, which is a shame, because it's such a great feature.

That said, I'd go with a Hasty Bake over the Napoleon as it's a proven grill over the years.

Another option to consider would be an MGrills B2 which is built really solidly. They are a newer company, have a growing following and excellent feedback from members here:

https://mgrills.com/collections/pro-grade/products/b2-grill

Had it not been for covid and income loss, I would probably have a B2 and be cooking on it tonight!

Last edited:
Santa Maria grills seem even less useful than the charcoal grill. Of course I want one. But it looks like the closest the grate gets is like 8” from the bottom. The adjustable charcoal grills can get the charcoal right up next to the grate for steaks.

what about a summit charcoal (wait for the $1k new model?) plus a SnS

Would I just be better off with a 26” kettle and the SnS? I’ve considered a kettle, but wanted something a little more substantial.

I have a 22” Dancook kettle, but the kettle shape doesn’t work with some of the accessories for Weber kettles.

Would I just be better off with a 26” kettle and the SnS? I’ve considered a kettle, but wanted something a little more substantial.

I have a 22” Dancook kettle, but the kettle shape doesn’t work with some of the accessories for Weber kettles.

For the money, if you're not caring about smoking, then probably. But the summit does have the adjustable lower grate, and at the higher setting it puts the coals closer to the grate than a normal kettle.

Having said that I just checked the SnS website, and the SnS low profile (that fits on the summit) is discontinued anyway.

For the money you could rig up an adjustable lower grate/basket/sns system on the 26 inch kettle and probably be better off though, if you're just using it as a grill.

For the money, if you're not caring about smoking, then probably. But the summit does have the adjustable lower grate, and at the higher setting it puts the coals closer to the grate than a normal kettle.

Having said that I just checked the SnS website, and the SnS low profile (that fits on the summit) is discontinued anyway.

For the money you could rig up an adjustable lower grate/basket/sns system on the 26 inch kettle and probably be better off though, if you're just using it as a grill.

Can you get as hot on a Weber kettle as you can on a kamado style? And does the summit charcoal get as hot as a regular kamado. My old Akorn literally melted a set of Grill Grates trying to burn off the gunk that had accumulated from my gas grill. My Dancook kettle doesn’t get that hot, but it’s been a long time since I had a Weber.

Take a look at Allen’s Welding and Woodworking on YouTube and Facebook. He builds a lot of grills like you want. Many smokers too. He’s in Vivian, LA, in the NW corner of the state.
I seriously considered having him build a smoker for me before I bought a Shirley. Seems like a really nice guy too.

Can you get as hot on a Weber kettle as you can on a kamado style? And does the summit charcoal get as hot as a regular kamado. My old Akorn literally melted a set of Grill Grates trying to burn off the gunk that had accumulated from my gas grill. My Dancook kettle doesn’t get that hot, but it’s been a long time since I had a Weber.

I'll leave that for someone who actually has a summit to answer, but with SnS on my regular weber kettles, if you light the charcoal nicely and fill it up, it will get about as hot as you could want because the coals are right up under the grate. If you stack it to the top they can be touching the grate. The only limiter is size, there's not much real estate for the super high heat searing on SnS. A bit more than searing directly over a chimney starter though.

The ambient temp inside the kettle will not be as hot as a kamado, directly over the coals though, yes.

Now I’m reconsidering the Santa Maria after watching a few videos. I see that people have them as built-in outside, so I assume it’s ok to leave the one on the cart uncovered. I have a covered patio, but my wife would kill me if I wanted to keep a gigantic grill under there.

I like that (and I’m already in Louisiana), but $2k plus the stand puts it at the same cost as the Lone Star. It’s smaller than the Lone Star, but all stainless.

I think I’m set on a Santa Maria now. I didn’t realize that the grate goes below the sides until watching a video. The only thing it won’t do is convection heat like a grill with the lid closed. But I’ve got other grills and smokers that cover those needs anyway. And I think with wood/charcoal on one side and something on top to cover it, I could do a reasonable low and slow.

I’m glad I started this post, I hadn’t considered a Santa Maria other than the add-on for the 22.5” kettle.

Back