THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've got the parkay thing figured out, but along those same lines what the heck was the white powder(looked almost like powdered sugar) that they showed being sprinkled on the underside of ribs that looked like they were about done?

I was guessing it was onion or garlic powder. I do that for the stuff I eat around the house. If that's sugar....wow:eek:

I must have done the butter bath wrong (sorry no pics) brined, rubed and butter bathed. turned out pretty good. It was moist and tender and the skin was spot on, I did pull it from the bath and finished on the OTG. I didnt get any plastic taste, go figure..next week muffin tins!

I've got the parkay thing figured out, but along those same lines what the heck was the white powder(looked almost like powdered sugar) that they showed being sprinkled on the underside of ribs that looked like they were about done?
powdered honey probably. It's mentioned on one of the other threads in Q-talk.

I was guessing it was onion or garlic powder. I do that for the stuff I eat around the house. If that's sugar....wow:eek:
When wrapping ribs I use about a lb of brown sugar per slab (give or take a bit). But don't worry, I balance it with liquid honey. And of course there's the magic blue bottle. When it comes out of the foil 2 hours later you swear the ribs are falling apart but they firm up in 2 minutes. Maybe it's the carmel really firming up:biggrin: Then of course it's time to sauce with a nice spicy sauce mixed with you guessed it honey!

Like Johnny said I don't like the taste of my ribs. Way to sweet and spicy but you're not cooking for eating but for judges that take one bite.:icon_bugeyed:icon_shock1::oops:

When wrapping ribs I use about a lb of brown sugar per slab (give or take a bit). But don't worry, I balance it with liquid honey. And of course there's the magic blue bottle. When it comes out of the foil 2 hours later you swear the ribs are falling apart but they firm up in 2 minutes. Maybe it's the carmel really firming up:biggrin: Then of course it's time to sauce with a nice spicy sauce mixed with you guessed it honey!

Like Johnny said I don't like the taste of my ribs. Way to sweet and spicy but you're not cooking for eating but for judges that take one bite.:icon_bugeyed:icon_shock1::oops:

I use brown sugar at comps as well. Then I cook as you do. Then glaze with sauce. What shocked me was that it appeared they were adding the powder after the ribs had already been glazed - as though they were adding the powder then ANOTHER layer of sauce. Enough to make a guy puke!

If winning chicken uses Parkay? What does 13th Place Chicken use?
The interesting thing about 13th place chicken is that that all of them were different methods, sauces, rubs, pan liquids etc. The last 13th place I received (battle of the brethren 2008) just so happened to be using the Blue Bottle.

The interesting thing about 13th place chicken is that that all of them were different methods, sauces, rubs, pan liquids etc. The last 13th place I received (battle of the brethren 2008) just so happened to be using the Blue Bottle.

Only time I saw you use it, I recall a few bottles. I think I you were pushing 300g of fat in that chicken bath !!!

the very first BBQ series on TLC in 2005 or 2006 outed Johnny and his blue bottles. Unitl then it was only known by those that payed attention at contests and watched Johnny or Mike Davis in the morning hours. Of course you missed a lot of what they did in their motorhomes.

Then Mike and Debbie did a class and the rest is history. There's lots of posts over the years and if you do enough searching on different boards you'll get some pointers.

I personally use about 6 bottles at a contest. And I also use ICBINB spray in my big spray bottle for basting while cooking. Spray is more liquid that squeeze.

I like you more and more the more I shutup and read you Ford and now I fingered it out why.

I really liked your other Michigan Brother William Wall. He was such a no frills guy. Well when he wasn;t panderin his sauce and rubs but you gotta pay the bills right.

Anyway, he gave me some encouragement a while back when I was on the Other site and just before I got kicked out of it for my videos and my "funkspeak." Anyway, he was so nice. He is the only thing I ever missed from leaving there and coming over here. I thought it odd he never was here too. Anyway, you cut through the chit in that nice seasoned friend that went to school with your old man kinda way.

I miss my Dad, who died in 1995 and Billy Bones too. You seem like the same kind of people Ford.

More than that, (1) blue bottle is 1,680 calories and 192g of fat:eek:
First off probably 90% of the fat and calories stays in the foil. But it doesn't matter because there are at least 5 bites to a rib and 13 bones in a slab so that 65 bites so each bite is only 2.95g of fat and 25.8g of fat. And I only want the judge to eat 1 or 2 bites max.

Remember we're talking competition not home eating.

First off probably 90% of the fat and calories stays in the foil. But it doesn't matter because there are at least 5 bites to a rib and 13 bones in a slab so that 65 bites so each bite is only 2.95g of fat and 25.8g of fat. And I only want the judge to eat 1 or 2 bites max.

Remember we're talking competition not home eating.

Welcome to BBQ Math and Science class. Don't you just love it?

Blue bottle gos on ribs as well? I have only tried it on chix

never tried the parkay on ribs but have done sliced pats of butter a number of times in the foil.

Since your such an active outdoor cook, Maybe you should try an individual rib butter bath and post your pics and findings in Q-Talk. :biggrin:

never tried the parkay on ribs but have done sliced pats of butter a number of times in the foil.

Since your such an active outdoor cook, Maybe you should try a butter bath and post your pics and findings in Q-Talk. :biggrin:

Sled taking a bath in butter would not do well in Q-talk. :lol:

Back