Aaron Franklin Secret Ingredient Is....Beef Tallow?

Good points Paul. I forgot about the sausage. Didn't care for it myself and won't get again. But the brisket, ribs and the turkey were insanely good. Brisket and turkey were the best I've ever. La Barbecue, Miclethwait's were closed on Monday so I couldn't make it but those are for next time. :thumb: Oh and I wish I went to Truth BBQ instead of Black's in Lockhart. Also next time. :grin:

Absolutely right on him being a goofy bastard but a very humble goofy bastard. :becky:

M0rwaZjm.jpg
They didn't serve turkey. I went to a Dell event at Franklin's. But I've heard it's awesome. The best part was they let us take everything left over home with us. The bad part was we were not allowed to take any pics or go behind the scenes. So I didn't get my pic with Aaron.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sucks! Turkey was insane. I'm not even a turkey guy. Once year for Thanksgiving and that's it.

Shame! We'll hit it up on the next TX bash. I can get you in :biggrin1: :thumb: Gotta go with you and Smitty. :nod:

v3ARpWfh.jpg

mAas4S8h.jpg

qvakCzbh.jpg

They didn't serve turkey. I went to a Dell event at Franklin's. But I've heard it's awesome. The best part was they let us take everything left over home with us. The bad part was we were not allowed to take any pics or go behind the scenes. So I didn't get my pic with Aaron.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I absolutely LOVE mesquite and I'm always so surprised at people who push back so aggressively against it. I'm guessing maybe they've used green mesquite before and it left a very impactful taste which wasn't pleasant. I'm in North Carolina so I tend to stick with pecan, cherry, and oak. If I could get my hands on well seasoned mesquite I'd use it for my briskets every single time I cook them.

I've been twice to Franklins and would go again tomorrow if I could. Maybe not every trip to Austin, but i'd certainly go back.

I didn't care for the sausage when it wasn't being made in house. On my second trip they were making it in house and I thought it was much better. I didn't love the pulled pork but I really liked everything else.

I like Aaron, his books and videos have made my bbq better. I had a chance to speak with him once and shake his hand. He was gracious with his time and was truly interested in the conversation.

The people who refuse to wait in line must not like a good tailgate :) The brisket really was one of the greatest things ive ever eaten when I had it. Maybe the whole experience helps the memory but that brisket.....Id travel for it.

So a few weeks ago we did a weekend bbq trip to get out of the house. Snow's on Saturday morning, Valentina's for Sunday breakfast, and Franklin for lunch. Franklin is all online to-go orders right now, so no wait. I placed the order a few days earlier, arrived at our time and picked it up. Maybe 15 minutes total. We drove down the street to a park to eat and it was still the best brisket I've ever had without the wait.

I really hate to say it, but I was let down by the brisket at Lewis'. I guess when there's that much hype, it's difficult to live up to it. I just felt it was good 'ol brisket...I was expecting something that "I couldn't do at home". Having never, at that point, tried a TRUE Central TX brisket, I was simply expecting more. It was good, don't get me wrong...but hell, mine is good too...just as good.

I learned that day that I was doing alright with what I do myself. It sort of validated my own processes & product. I didn't go for that reason, I went to be WOW'd. It was worth the trip nonetheless. Plus, I live in MtP right across the bridge from it anyway...so it wasn't exactly a time expense...

I would not make the trip to Lewis' again just for the brisket...the sausages, on the other hand, are a totally different story. Transcendental...I'll go for a link any time...and just for a link if nothing else...
Lewis has always said he likes very minimal smoke, so it's not as strong as many other places. Those hot guts, though...

Sucks! Turkey was insane. I'm not even a turkey guy. Once year for Thanksgiving and that's it.

Shame! We'll hit it up on the next TX bash. I can get you in :biggrin1: :thumb: Gotta go with you and Smitty. :nod:

Wait a second. I think that's a cooler full of tallow!! Mystery solved :clap2:

VHQF01G.png

Last edited:
Some of us been preaching the way of mesquite and getting hammered a long while. It’s good wood. Blended it’s fantastic. Once upon a time someone wrote don’t Season your cooker with green mesquite. I get that. He didn’t say don’t cook with seasoned. Post Oak-Pecan-Hickory blended with a kiss of mesquite will have neighbor couples fighting over their Door Dash Supper. I think more big boys and back yard cooks use more mesquite than they admit.

In the year I've owned my smoker I've only had to throw away one meal. It was a pork loin cooked using mesquite. I then proceeded to toss the mesquite.

I suspect your right it just needs to be blended. I can't go 10 ft on our property without tripping over a mesquite tree. Maybe I need to put some more effort into using it. If you recommend then I know it has to be good when used properly.

The moisture added from tallow is a great idea and not knocking it at all. Jeremy could totally be onto something, but I personally haven’t seen enough evidence to say the secret is tallow. I have asked Joe Yim and Max (Texicana BBQ) directly about the tallow, both have said consistency. The videos people reference from Max aren’t brisket videos. The video everyone alludes to is beef ribs and he specifically says he adds it to crisp up the surface. People have said that Franklin has all those scraps. He has said in multiple venues that he uses it to season his smokers, lube hinges and also for sausage. I have seen videos where a pitmaster at Franklin’s uses the same bottle for brisket that he is using on pork butt and spare ribs. Franklin has even mentioned in his Masterclass that he uses ACV on everything just simply so he isn’t switching bottles.

I am no brisket expert and am not claiming to be, but if we are measuring the method Franklin uses by wet butcher paper and moist meat then there are other factors to consider in my opinion. 1) Franklin/Max/Joe Yim and others spray the paper with ACV very liberally which leads to the butcher paper being moist. 2) Straight from a Franklin pitmasters mouth, she said they get placed in a humid room to rest before being placed in the food warmer which is also a humid environment. 3) meat quality is a huge factor. Franklin changed the game when he used high grade meat, when typical was what BBQ joints could get their hands on the and would be good profit margins. Some joints don’t even use brisket, but use beef shoulder due to it being so cheap and getting a great product.

I bought a food warmer after my trip to Franklin’s and talking with the pitmaster, because I believe it’s the hold that is a factor into great brisket. Just from my experiments on rest times I have found the longer the hold the better, more moist the brisket is and soaked the butcher paper is also. I learned from Max that there is a window with holding brisket because I tried pushing one for 22+ hours and it turned the first part of the flat into jerky. Max says 5-12 is ideal with 17 being the maximum.

Just my 2 cents on this topic. Franklin has mastered his craft and studies things that we probably don’t even think about, like he mentions in some interviews that they had to adjust their cooking temp based on the meat being drier and tighter due to the cows enduring the drought. He pays a lot more attention to the small details that we can’t even comprehend.

Yes his pitmasters might sign a non-disclosure agreement, but the streets eventually talk.

The moisture added from tallow is a great idea and not knocking it at all. Jeremy could totally be onto something, but I personally haven’t seen enough evidence to say the secret is tallow. I have asked Joe Yim and Max (Texicana BBQ) directly about the tallow, both have said consistency. The videos people reference from Max aren’t brisket videos. The video everyone alludes to is beef ribs and he specifically says he adds it to crisp up the surface. People have said that Franklin has all those scraps. He has said in multiple venues that he uses it to season his smokers, lube hinges and also for sausage. I have seen videos where a pitmaster at Franklin’s uses the same bottle for brisket that he is using on pork butt and spare ribs. Franklin has even mentioned in his Masterclass that he uses ACV on everything just simply so he isn’t switching bottles.

I am no brisket expert and am not claiming to be, but if we are measuring the method Franklin uses by wet butcher paper and moist meat then there are other factors to consider in my opinion. 1) Franklin/Max/Joe Yim and others spray the paper with ACV very liberally which leads to the butcher paper being moist. 2) Straight from a Franklin pitmasters mouth, she said they get placed in a humid room to rest before being placed in the food warmer which is also a humid environment. 3) meat quality is a huge factor. Franklin changed the game when he used high grade meat, when typical was what BBQ joints could get their hands on the and would be good profit margins. Some joints don’t even use brisket, but use beef shoulder due to it being so cheap and getting a great product.

I bought a food warmer after my trip to Franklin’s and talking with the pitmaster, because I believe it’s the hold that is a factor into great brisket. Just from my experiments on rest times I have found the longer the hold the better, more moist the brisket is and soaked the butcher paper is also. I learned from Max that there is a window with holding brisket because I tried pushing one for 22+ hours and it turned the first part of the flat into jerky. Max says 5-12 is ideal with 17 being the maximum.

Just my 2 cents on this topic. Franklin has mastered his craft and studies things that we probably don’t even think about, like he mentions in some interviews that they had to adjust their cooking temp based on the meat being drier and tighter due to the cows enduring the drought. He pays a lot more attention to the small details that we can’t even comprehend.

Yes his pitmasters might sign a non-disclosure agreement, but the streets eventually talk.
https://youtu.be/xENXHjKa2wc?t=873

Sure looks like brisket to me. As mentioned, he literally says “tallow”

In that video it is Brisket, but there is no actual footage of adding tallow. This goes back to its speculation, not facts when using that as evidence for using tallow. He could be referencing the beef fat that is getting rendered down in the cook, not adding tallow. Not saying it can’t be used. The video people reference with direct evidence is the beef rib video.

To put it the way someone else said, whether Franklin does it or not isn’t a factor of other people being able to do it. If it works for you then do it. I was just simply stating my observations of what people are using for evidence. It’s like what a couple posts ago someone did with the blue water jug. When you convince yourself that you want to see something then your mind will tell you it’s there.

In that video it is Brisket, but there is no actual footage of adding tallow. This goes back to its speculation, not facts when using that as evidence for using tallow. He could be referencing the beef fat that is getting rendered down in the cook, not adding tallow. Not saying it can’t be used. The video people reference with direct evidence is the beef rib video.

To put it the way someone else said, whether Franklin does it or not isn’t a factor of other people being able to do it. If it works for you then do it. I was just simply stating my observations of what people are using for evidence. It’s like what a couple posts ago someone did with the blue water jug. When you convince yourself that you want to see something then your mind will tell you it’s there.
Ehhhhhh the fact he said tallow is pretty convincing.

I don’t care either way because I am not a huge brisket fan. But the evidence is pretty compelling. lol. Prob worth a shot for people to try and see how it works for them.

Go ask Max (texicana bbq) or Joe Yim and see what they say. Max is busy opening up Longhorn Texas BBQ in New Cairo, but usually is good about messaging back.

Go ask Max (texicana bbq) or Joe Yim and see what they say. Max is busy opening up Longhorn Texas BBQ in New Cairo, but usually is good about messaging back.

He’s a good dude, and those 2 put out some of the best videos but I’d not expect him to say much and I don’t want to put him on the spot.

Probably better for people to just try it themselves.

Max, Joe and Jeremy are all awesome dudes! They all put out great content.

100% I’ve messaged Max on a few occasions and he was super nice. And joe yim has been dropping such great content and always answers questions.

At the end of the day, I guess my point being is people want to convince themselves there’s some great secret to Franklin. Even Jeremy says it’s probably just the last 1% if it is. I think people tend to overlook the fact Franklin, Louie Mueller, Tootsie, John Lewis and the other greats are just plain consistent. Franklin does 100+ briskets a day and is a scientist with BBQ. He has the experience to know how weather, rest periods, pulling early to use the carry over and so on will affect things. I think it’s consistency and experience is what makes his brisket on a whole other level.

When you watch older videos of Franklin and compare them to more recent videos you can see his technique has evolved. He’s constantly trying to learn and tweak things if he finds something better.

Some of us been preaching the way of mesquite and getting hammered a long while. It’s good wood. Blended it’s fantastic. Once upon a time someone wrote don’t Season your cooker with green mesquite. I get that. He didn’t say don’t cook with seasoned. Post Oak-Pecan-Hickory blended with a kiss of mesquite will have neighbor couples fighting over their Door Dash Supper. I think more big boys and back yard cooks use more mesquite than they admit.

True story...

I ran out of post oak pellets last weekend and had a couple of bags of mesquite in the garage...

Loaded up the hopper and fired up Mabel yesterday, the windows of the house were open (-13° last Wednesday, 73° THIS Wednesday) and as she was coming to temp the aroma wafted into the kitchen...

Mrs. 4ever3 stops dead in her tracks with her nose in the air...

“What pellets are you burning?!?”

Me...

“B&B Mesquite!”

Her...

“GAWD that smells good...”

I posted a screenshot from that exact video that shows tons of tallow on it. It's only a few seconds since he tries to cut it out of the video; just keep rewinding at that spot and you'll see frames with even more tallow than the frame I grabbed.

I posted a screenshot from that exact video that shows tons of tallow on it. It's only a few seconds since he tries to cut it out of the video; just keep rewinding at that spot and you'll see frames with even more tallow than the frame I grabbed.

Ya if you slow the speed down it’s clear as day. You Can even see it when he turns the wrap 90deg towards the camera.

There actually appears to be a good bit of tallow the brisket is sitting on.

Back