Aaron Franklin Secret Ingredient Is....Beef Tallow?

This guy is a "content generator" and this video is clickbait. He's wrong, but it'll get hundreds of thousands of views off the title and Aaron Franklin's name.

Ok, WHY is he wrong and how do you KNOW he's wrong? Jeremy has made some of the best BBQ videos on YouTube. His video about fire management is easily the most informative and visually descriptive video on the web about how to get a good fire going in an offset. There's a reason that video has 1.1 MILLION views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Azfvya6n4Y&t=9s

He's not just a content creator but he's a hell of a cook as well. There's nothing wrong with discussing Aaron Franklin within the BBQ community. He didn't disparage Franklin BBQ in anyway. Would you suggest that anyone who makes a video about Franklin BBQ is just using that name for views? People are interested in Franklin BBQ and the way things are done there, so why not discuss it in a video?

This guy is a "content generator" and this video is clickbait. He's wrong, but it'll get hundreds of thousands of views off the title and Aaron Franklin's name.

not sure clickbait means what you think it does and what's wrong with generating content. he really did do a test involving a hunch he had from breaking down footage. so what he used Franklin's name. I'm definitely not mad at a guy who uses the algorithm to get more views, that's just how YouTube works.

Actually he does generate content...some pretty darn good content if I might add.

And why would you care how many clicks he gets? I say more power to the folks who are putting out good content.

There is a whole business enterprise based on Aaron Franklin and the hype around his BBQ. A lot of the offset smoker builders try to mimick the Franklin's smoker design. There are numerous youtube channels that frequently mention Franklin's including the obligatory pilgrimage to his restaurant. I'm originally from Texas and love the culture around Texas BBQ, but just can't buy into the hype. I would love to go to Franklin's sometime but just couldn't bring myself to wait in the line when there are other places in the area with more history and probably just as good if not better in some cases. I watch some of Mad Scientists videos from time to time and don't fault him for "generating content" it's still up to individuals to chose whether they watch or not. Aaron Franklin seems to be a terrific chef, but he's an even better marketer.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:
Ok, WHY is he wrong and how do you KNOW he's wrong? Jeremy has made some of the best BBQ videos on YouTube. His video about fire management is easily the most informative and visually descriptive video on the web about how to get a good fire going in an offset. There's a reason that video has 1.1 MILLION views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Azfvya6n4Y&t=9s

He's not just a content creator but he's a hell of a cook as well. There's nothing wrong with discussing Aaron Franklin within the BBQ community. He didn't disparage Franklin BBQ in anyway. Would you suggest that anyone who makes a video about Franklin BBQ is just using that name for views? People are interested in Franklin BBQ and the way things are done there, so why not discuss it in a video?

There is a whole business enterprise based on Aaron Franklin and the hype around his BBQ. A lot of the offset smoker builders try to mimick the Franklin's smoker design. There are numerous youtube channels that frequently mention Franklin's including the obligatory pilgrimage to his restaurant. I'm originally from Texas and love the culture around Texas BBQ, but just can't buy into the hype. I would love to go to Franklin's sometime but just couldn't bring myself to wait in the line when there are other places in the area with more history and probably just as good if not better in some cases. I watch some of Mad Scientists videos from time to time and don't fault him for "generating content" it's still up to individuals to chose whether they watch or not. Aaron Franklin seems to be a terrific chef, but he's an even better marketer.

You're correct he's a fantastic marketer but any successful business has to be, especially in a market as tough as Texas with a new fantastic BBQ restaurant opening what seems like every month. But where you are wrong is he is a better chef. Franklin is the God Father of Central Texas BBQ as we know it today. Yes, there are other places in the area with more history and great bbq but it's a different style and different quality. If you look at the top TX Monthly top 50 here in Texas the majority were opened after Franklin and started mimicking his style. I agree the line sucks. But why does he still have a line after 10+ years? Why do people keep coming back? It's because it's damn good and super consistent, consistency is the sign of a fantastic chef, and that's what keeps him among the best in the country, not just the state.

It's worth it. The brisket really is different in a way that's hard to describe. It's just...perfect.

You're correct he's a fantastic marketer but any successful business has to be, especially in a market as tough as Texas with a new fantastic BBQ restaurant opening what seems like every month. But where you are wrong is he is a better chef. Franklin is the God Father of Central Texas BBQ as we know it today. Yes, there are other places in the area with more history and great bbq but it's a different style and different quality. If you look at the top TX Monthly top 50 here in Texas the majority were opened after Franklin and started mimicking his style. I agree the line sucks. But why does he still have a line after 10+ years? Why do people keep coming back? It's because it's damn good and super consistent, consistency is the sign of a fantastic chef, and that's what keeps him among the best in the country, not just the state.

Well said!!

Don't knock it until you tried it. Franklin serves excellent bbq especially the brisket. Consistency is definitely key and hard to get in bbq for the most part but he created a dang good formula which works for him. Why not capitalize on it??? I had a helluva time in the 4 hour line and didn't even realize it took that long to get bbq. It's definitely not a hype. People who call it a hype have never even tried it.

Not in Texas but I’ve been to Lewis BBQ in Charleston SC and it was unbelievably good.Since he worked with Aaron Franklin I would guess they are similar. Not knocking anyone for waiting in line just not something I would do. It’s definitely working though and more power to him. I might get his book at some point.

Well said!!

Don't knock it until you tried it. Franklin serves excellent bbq especially the brisket. Consistency is definitely key and hard to get in bbq for the most part but he created a dang good formula which works for him. Why not capitalize on it??? I had a helluva time in the 4 hour line and didn't even realize it took that long to get bbq. It's definitely not a hype. People who call it a hype have never even tried it.

The people who refuse to wait in line must not like a good tailgate :) The brisket really was one of the greatest things ive ever eaten when I had it. Maybe the whole experience helps the memory but that brisket.....Id travel for it.

Not in Texas but I’ve been to Lewis BBQ in Charleston SC and it was unbelievably good.Since he worked with Aaron Franklin I would guess they are similar. Not knocking anyone for waiting in line just not something I would do. It’s definitely working though and more power to him. I might get his book at some point.

I really hate to say it, but I was let down by the brisket at Lewis'. I guess when there's that much hype, it's difficult to live up to it. I just felt it was good 'ol brisket...I was expecting something that "I couldn't do at home". Having never, at that point, tried a TRUE Central TX brisket, I was simply expecting more. It was good, don't get me wrong...but hell, mine is good too...just as good.

I learned that day that I was doing alright with what I do myself. It sort of validated my own processes & product. I didn't go for that reason, I went to be WOW'd. It was worth the trip nonetheless. Plus, I live in MtP right across the bridge from it anyway...so it wasn't exactly a time expense...

I would not make the trip to Lewis' again just for the brisket...the sausages, on the other hand, are a totally different story. Transcendental...I'll go for a link any time...and just for a link if nothing else...

I really hate to say it, but I was let down by the brisket at Lewis'. I guess when there's that much hype, it's difficult to live up to it. I just felt it was good 'ol brisket...I was expecting something that "I couldn't do at home". Having never, at that point, tried a TRUE Central TX brisket, I was simply expecting more. It was good, don't get me wrong...but hell, mine is good too...just as good.

I learned that day that I was doing alright with what I do myself. It sort of validated my own processes & product. I didn't go for that reason, I went to be WOW'd. It was worth the trip nonetheless. Plus, I live in MtP right across the bridge from it anyway...so it wasn't exactly a time expense...

I would not make the trip to Lewis' again just for the brisket...the sausages, on the other hand, are a totally different story. Transcendental...I'll go for a link any time...and just for a link if nothing else...

I've been wowed and meh'd by brisket at Lewis. I think it's all when you get there and how fresh the product is. I think the longer they are held, it loses some of it's punch in flavor.

The hot guts on the other hand are in a league of their own.

The people who refuse to wait in line must not like a good tailgate :) The brisket really was one of the greatest things ive ever eaten when I had it. Maybe the whole experience helps the memory but that brisket.....Id travel for it.

Heck yeah! Same here. A lot of great places in Central TX for bbq but his stood out for me. One I especially liked also was Valentina's BBQ again in Austin that served Tex Mex or by the pound. Def up there and I liked how they smoked their meats with mesquite in post oak country. Excellent food btw!!

9TAO82qh.jpg

Two of the smokers

UTISUQch.jpg

Some of us been preaching the way of mesquite and getting hammered a long while. It’s good wood. Blended it’s fantastic. Once upon a time someone wrote don’t Season your cooker with green mesquite. I get that. He didn’t say don’t cook with seasoned. Post Oak-Pecan-Hickory blended with a kiss of mesquite will have neighbor couples fighting over their Door Dash Supper. I think more big boys and back yard cooks use more mesquite than they admit.

Some of us been preaching the way of mesquite and getting hammered a long while. It’s good wood.

I grew up in Lubbock. You're preachin' to the choir! There's nothing like BBQ on a west Texas ranch cooked over mesquite coals in a pit dug with a backhoe.

Some of us been preaching the way of mesquite and getting hammered a long while. It’s good wood. Blended it’s fantastic. Once upon a time someone wrote don’t Season your cooker with green mesquite. I get that. He didn’t say don’t cook with seasoned. Post Oak-Pecan-Hickory blended with a kiss of mesquite will have neighbor couples fighting over their Door Dash Supper. I think more big boys and back yard cooks use more mesquite than they admit.

Amen!

I love mesquite especially for grilling. Used to put it off as "not good" or "bitter" for smoking until I figured out airflow/combustion characteristics of mesquite. The rest is history.

Well said!!

I totally agree with nailing consistency. It's probably the hardest part. I went once and had a meh experience. Ribs were meh, sausage wasn't anything I would eat, brisket was good. Desserts were really good. The group at my table all agreed. My boss said mine was better. The other 2 guys said their friend (maybe it was their neighbor, been several years) that competes cooks a better brisket. It was good brisket. Just probably me expecting way too much. Maybe if I had waited in line for hours inhaling post oak it would have tasted better?

My favorite was La BBQ when John Lewis was still there. Great brisket and unbelievable sausage. Never had sausage that good before or after. I fully understand my opinion is in the minority. Doesn't mean Franklin isn't a bbq God in my mind. What he's accomplished is amazing and the fact that he's still the same goofy bastard says a LOT. 99.9% of people wouldn't handle his success with the grace he has. I don't have any issues with anything he does. He has earned his spot. We may never see another Aaron Franklin. Just my .02 and what do I know? I cook in the front yard and serve white bread with bbq.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good points Paul. I forgot about the sausage. Didn't care for it myself and won't get again. But the brisket, ribs and the turkey were insanely good. Brisket and turkey were the best I've ever. La Barbecue, Miclethwait's were closed on Monday so I couldn't make it but those are for next time. :thumb: Oh and I wish I went to Truth BBQ instead of Black's in Lockhart. Also next time. :grin:

Absolutely right on him being a goofy bastard but a very humble goofy bastard. :becky:

M0rwaZjm.jpg

I totally agree with nailing consistency. It's probably the hardest part. I went once and had a meh experience. Ribs were meh, sausage wasn't anything I would eat, brisket was good. Desserts were really good. The group at my table all agreed. My boss said mine was better. The other 2 guys said their friend (maybe it was their neighbor, been several years) that competes cooks a better brisket. It was good brisket. Just probably me expecting way too much. Maybe if I had waited in line for hours inhaling post oak it would have tasted better?

My favorite was La BBQ when John Lewis was still there. Great brisket and unbelievable sausage. Never had sausage that good before or after. I fully understand my opinion is in the minority. Doesn't mean Franklin isn't a bbq God in my mind. What he's accomplished is amazing and the fact that he's still the same goofy bastard says a LOT. 99.9% of people wouldn't handle his success with the grace he has. I don't have any issues with anything he does. He has earned his spot. We may never see another Aaron Franklin. Just my .02 and what do I know? I cook in the front yard and serve white bread with bbq.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back