A Serious Competition Question

STICKS RULE; PELLETS DROOL.

Aren't pellets the things that come from the back-side of a rabbit?.... Just sayin'...

It doesn't matter what you cook on. I love my Traegers. I love my WSM's there is a balance between both for us. If you are a decent pitmaster you should be able to cook on anything and have great results.

It doesn't matter what you cook on. I love my Traegers. I love my WSM's there is a balance between both for us. If you are a decent pitmaster you should be able to cook on anything and have great results.

I agree! A grate, A log and a piece of meat is all you need.

I cook on FEC's. I think they should allow any type of a cooker. When a team wins they like to say I beat the the best, also wouldn't you like to say the best cook on everything possible not just a pellet or stick. Food for thought and yes I just opened that can of worms:cool:.

would you bring an oven to a bbq competition.....funny, turn on an fec-100 and it says oven temp...jest sayin

This is just the kind of remark that makes folks irritated... I guess my question to you is you can't beat the FE's, so you have to bash them?

what is a smoker anyway? It's a oven...

sorry, crawling back to my rock.

LOL. Lighten up! Smoke a fatty. Enjoy the sunset! Have a good cigar. Slap your
wife on the butt a few times... Enjoy the smell of smoke in the air, whether from
a stick burner or one of those oven thingies... ;-)

Im just saying, if it's truly the cook and not the cooker, why are there rules regarding what type of cooker has to be used...burning wood in a thermostatically computer controlled pit with an electric auger takes a lot of the fun outta things in my book.
Comps have all sorts of things that go wrong, power can go down, people with gurus and stokers are scrambling around opening up vents, letting there cookers run au-natural, but what does the guy with the "oven" do, in my book, he's S.O.L. unless he has his own generator.

Im just saying, if it's truly the cook and not the cooker, why are there rules regarding what type of cooker has to be used...burning wood in a thermostatically computer controlled pit with an electric auger takes a lot of the fun outta things in my book.
Comps have all sorts of things that go wrong, power can go down, people with gurus and stokers are scrambling around opening up vents, letting there cookers run au-natural, but what does the guy with the "oven" do, in my book, he's S.O.L. unless he has his own generator.

I'm not going to get into a argument on this subject with you. But you have a lot to learn...

And who really cares if you think it's not fun cooking on a FE! I know one thing for sure. I enjoy walking in to my bank on Monday and making a deposit from all the money that I won from the weekend... If you don't like them, then don't cook on them. but don't tell me I am wrong because you don't agree with me...

Battery backup. They use so little power I can plug mine into the little battery jump start unit I bought at Cabela's. Only need the generator for the fridge and water system in the trailer. Well lights too.

Leather balls and wooden clubs, dodging sheep.

Where is the line? What is "authentic" Do you think any of the smokers being used today resemble the cooking tools of ages past?

For the record, I'm raising my own hog and whittling my spear as I type. Going to take the whittled wood and make my own charcoal, too :-D just as soon as my son gets back from the salt mine with our spices. :mrgreen:

thank miriam webster for this
oven; a chamber used for baking, heating, or drying

Wikipedia says in part, "In the past, cooking ovens were fueled by wood or coal."

so I hate to tell you but your WSM's, Lang's, BWS, Stumps or any other chamber used for cooking is an oven. Like it or not we are a llusing an oven.

just because mine is cooler than yours, you don't need to start calling names and calling folks out. :biggrin:

I will gladly come by the @ next comp and talk up the virtues of the pellet cooker to you, I have lots of extra time now......:twisted:

I wish someone would go to Dallas and bring our pellet oven back up to KS/MO/IA with them. My hands get dirty loading the charcoal oven up.

Good discussion... Thanks for the input... As for me, I do lump and stick, but that's because I can't afford anything else... :p

It doesn’t matter to me……. It’s a personal preference, as most have said, it’s not the cooker. All cookers have a learning curve to make good bbq………once you figure it out, all smokers/cookers are equal IMO.
There are no absolutes in bbq……that’s what makes it awesome

Back