A Mess'O ABT'S

Puppyboy said:
WOW!!! How long did it take to prepare all those?
If I remember there were 7 of us working on them and it took about 5 or 6 hours. That was just the stuffing part. The night before a couple guys sliced and cleaned them. We set it up like an assembly line. 2 of us fill the half with cheese and pass them down the line.

When I have done them, I slice the tops off but cleaning them is a mutha farker. I have read that some slice them long way leaving the stem as a little handle. For those who have done it both ways, which way worked best for you?

Puppyboy said:
When I have done them, I slice the tops off but cleaning them is a mutha farker. I have read that some slice them long way leaving the stem as a little handle. For those who have done it both ways, which way worked best for you?

I make boats. Cut about the top 1/5th off. Don't cut too close to the tip, or stuffing can run out. If they're bigger jalapenos, I cut in half longways. Clean out with a spoon or grapefruit knife. Wrap with 1/2 slice thin bacon. Usually depends on how many I'm making, of if I have help.

slice them long way leaving the stem that's the way I do them now I think it works better it 's like a boat for the filling

Abt

Single Fin Smoker said:
K.......so I made my first ABT's today. 4 to be exact. While I was at Staters this mornin, looking fer ground da ground fattie pork, I noticed the butcher had bacon. Accordingly, I got 4 pieces at the cost of 66 cents and 4 Jalepenos at the cost of 1.39(I already had the cream cheese in my fridge).

I threw them in my ECB, along with a fattie and some quartered chicken, and cooked em for about an hour or so(I have no idea what the temp was since my "...Hot, Warm, Smoke....." temp gauge is broken). Like that matters....

These are a thing of beauty. A little spicey for me(I still ate 2), but my wife loved em. They will play a definite part of my Super Bowl smoke as an Hors' D' Vours.

A question.......Bretherens.........What does acronym "ABT" stand for?

Oh yeah, in Texas they stuff em with peeled Shrimp or mud bugs and call them "Bullets".
Must've been on the same wave lenght I also made 4 stuffed with goat and pimento cheese and a lil smokey they where stuffed to the brim my wife tried one cause she's never had them scared of the jap. when I finally covienced they were good when she ate her very first on the look in her eye was a priceless moment, this morning she asked if we had any left over....yeah right:-o

I tell you, its pure heaven when they eat our creations and are forced to admit its so dang good they have to smile.

Essentially, makeing them admit theres more that can come from a smoker other than brisket or butt.

Single Fin Smoker said:
So Smokin Coyote, that must a cost a fortune!

Is bulk bacon, Jalepeno's and cream cheese available somewhere?
It isn't cheap. The jalapenos are given to us and we get all the other stuff at Sams. The business that sponsors our cooking team pays for it. THe cookoff we do it at is a local deal for the Chamber of Commerce that the public buys a ticket and gets to graze so he gets to write it off taxes. We only do that big a batch once a year.

Puppyboy said:

I was doing them "canoe style" until I got one of the pepper trays for Christmas. Now I am doing them the "traditional" way.

I prefer the traditional way. Much easier and quicker to clean. I have only busted one while (over)stuffing it with cheese.

I am just using a potato peeler, running it down each membrane then running it around in a circle a few times until everything feels loose, then I tap it on a paper plate and everything falls out. Works like a charm!

I took several leftovers to work one night and shared a few. Everyone had a look on their face like they weren't gonna eat them. They did and they all were asking for more! :-D

I have some pics of the process in making the canoe style if ya'll wanna see them. I will take some of the tradtional style next time I make them.

I do prefer the long slit method. Never any leaking if done right.

Just for fun, every few I make, I will leave in some veins and a few seeds.
I like to tell patrons they're a little like Russian roulette.
You never know what you're going to get.
(Forrest Gump mod)
I love it when they get a scorcher!

nascarchuck said:
I have some pics of the process in making the canoe style if ya'll wanna see them. I will take some of the tradtional style next time I make them.

Well, whatcha waitin on? Post them!:biggrin:

thillin said:
Well, whatcha waitin on? Post them!:biggrin:

Okee Dokey... Here ya go...

I know that I'm a wuss for wearing gloves, but I wear contacts and it burns like hell when I put my contacts in the next morning. I learned the hard way!:lol:

I cooked some bacon and crumbled up in the ABT then put cream cheese over it.

Got my world famous potato salad, chicken wings, a few ABT's and a nice margarita on the rocks! MMMmmmmm good dinner!

Will post some pics of the traditional style next time I make them.

I do most of mine like the one on the left in the second pic. I guess it's more of a kayak than a boat.:cool:

I can't wait to make em again! Sheesh, I gotta wait all the way till super bowl or my kids birthday or something...
I'm gonna make like 20 of them little bastards! I uses a very sharp paring knife and cut small slits then put "the lid" back on.
I'll probly rub my eyes and blind myself like a dumb arse....

I prefer stuffing poblano peppers cause they're way bigger than japs. Heat varies all over the place based upon what other peppers are growing within the travelling distance of bees.

I've done loads of these at Greg's bashes and will do it again whenever/wherever the next midwest bash is.

Homemade sausage with shredded cheddar mixed in is my usual stuffing. Boats or just cut off the top; it don't matter.

Back