THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

parrdist

Full Fledged Farker
My Neighbor called and is having a Party. Wants me to cook the pulled pork. She's having 75 people and also is serving fried chicken and sides. My Question is how much pork will I have to cook and what should I charge. Not looking to make a lot of money just want to make sure I don't lose money. Thanks for your help.

I would say, since there is going to be fried chicken and presumable a bunch of sides, you are looking at half portions for folks, maybe 1/4 pound per person. That would mean, doing easy math, 1/2 pound or so raw, 35 pounds total raw weight, bone-in butts. You could probably even go down to 30 lbs. if there are kids.

I would say, since there is going to be fried chicken and presumable a bunch of sides, you are looking at half portions for folks, maybe 1/4 pound per person. That would mean, doing easy math, 1/2 pound or so raw, 35 pounds total raw weight, bone-in butts. You could probably even go down to 30 lbs. if there are kids.

+1 on this..

(And landarc for a vegan you sure know a lot about butts.)

Yea the 35-40 lbs. Is about right. The thing I like to ask is how it will be served will people be serving them selves or will one person be portioning out the pork for the sandwiches. It will make a difference. The first time we catered we almost ran out of pulled pork. Now I take that in consideration, just something to think about. If it looks like we have some extra at the end of the event, I just fill a few ziplock bags for sale by the lb. we don't take much home. Just ask who has the event before hand,I split the money or give them a break on the cost of the meat.

I'll just be dropping it off in a roaster. It will be self serve, I have already told them to use smaller buns to limit wastage.
Thanks everyone for the help, I'll be cooking 35 lbs.

Back