A Dutch Oven Fatty

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
jeanie
Went camping last week. Decided to make another breakfast fatty benedict, they are one of my favorites.

Went with the usual, fried tatoe, onion, ham, cheese stuffed fatty.
Used my stainless piston this time.

rpW67O5.jpg

FMAVhmC.jpg

wrapped in bacon and let it chill overnight in the cooler.

NyZkAwh.jpg

7LJKwWS.jpg

placed a rack in the bottom of the dutch oven to keep the fatty out of the dripppin's while cooking...

irysBuv.jpg

burnt a few logs down to get some hot coals...

Cjmn97D.jpg

AqFjj3d.jpg

shoveled a few on top and let er go...

jRcP9gE.jpg

did some fishing while waiting...

wGm7Qfk.jpg

by4SqaM.jpg

I9OwTjT.jpg

Px3aglf.jpg

dFB5712.jpg

jOINxRN.jpg

While the fatty rested, I made my hollandaise ..
three egg yolks, lemon juice... whisk butter in and add seasonings ...

2NUg34c.jpg

vsjOO4M.jpg

W8o2Nzt.jpg

Cooked eggs in butter, then added heat to the lid to set the eggs...

MAtd2If.jpg

toasted the english muffins and called er good.

oKZiW7m.jpg

im46bhV.jpg

NHLh7Kf.jpg

5sWqdd6.jpg

HtSd9cr.jpg

I seem to make this almost every time I camp, it's one of my favorites.
The smoke from the fire adds a lot of flavor to the meal. The dutch oven does a good job on fatties, gets the bacon nice and crisp, the way I like it.

Sorry for so many pics again but thanks for looking!

Ok, the fatty looks amazing, from the filling to the bacon wave. But hollandaise, on a camp fire, in a cast iron skillet, that skill.

Ok, the fatty looks amazing, from the filling to the bacon wave. But hollandaise, on a camp fire, in a cast iron skillet, that skill.

Thanks so much, Josh! The sauce takes a lot of whisking. lol I used to make it with a fork, friends bought me a little camp whisk. It really helps! :-D

As always, I am certain that tastes as amazing as it looks. And breakfast by the lake has to add to the meal. Mmmm!

Thank you Jim, very kind of you! The meal just doesn't seem as tasty at home as it does at the lake. lol I guess it's true...everything tastes better over a campfire. :-D

I try to cook a lot of meals in advance, so she has plenty to eat while I'm on the road. One of the stuffed fatties a few weeks ago really hit home with her, so I made up 3 of them last week. I've been thinking about the next round and I wanted to do more with the fillings, so this post was perfectly timed. I actually just googled 'fatty piston' because I was about to ask you for details on yours...and the result was details on yours!

My only question-do you need to chill the filling in the piston before you put it into the fatty?

Nailed it! Love the piston.

Thanks Kade! :-D

I try to cook a lot of meals in advance, so she has plenty to eat while I'm on the road. One of the stuffed fatties a few weeks ago really hit home with her, so I made up 3 of them last week. I've been thinking about the next round and I wanted to do more with the fillings, so this post was perfectly timed. I actually just googled 'fatty piston' because I was about to ask you for details on yours...and the result was details on yours!
My only question-do you need to chill the filling in the piston before you put it into the fatty?

Nice that you prepare them in advance! Yes, I chill the filling, especially if it's something cooked, like fried tatoes. I either chill the cooked filling in a bowl or stuff the fatty, wrap with plastic wrap and chill while rolling out the sausage. I don't chill it overnight.
Good luck with it!

Has anyone tried using a jerky gun, as a fatty piston? Wondering how the dimensions work out.

I think some folks have, but I can't remember how they turned out. Might be able to do a search here and find some cooks.

Jeanie that has to the best looking Fattie ever!! :thumb:
I know with your skills it is also the best tasting!
I am always amazed and impressed with the artistry you have with what you prepare and cook! :clap2:
Nicely Done !! :mrgreen:

Hopefully you could come to the Texas BBQ Brethren Bash and school us on making Fatties? :mrgreen:

I need some information on that grate you have in your oven! And what size oven is that Lodge?

Looks outstanding ma'am!

6 eggs and a prize winning fatty! All for just one Cowgirl?? :shocked: Something tells me, you're holding out on us "old-timers" and have another mouth or two to feed!:cool::blah::mrgreen:

Another great thread and pron-spread! Thanks again for sharing!

There's better food to be had at your campsite than there is at any restaurant! And that bacon weave - that's tight and precise work right there! I've been too lazy to stuff a fatty, but the more I see yours the more I realize I should give it a shot. Great cookin' and picture takin' right there, Jeanie!

Back