60lbs of Sausage Making: Pickle Mustard, Wasabi Ginger, Dried Beer Malt Brat & More & a Kid

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Almost completely out of sausage at the house and I’ve been wanting to make some more recently. Got some time this week being off work since our spawn dropped like it was hot :-D. So ran out today to RD and picked up a pack of butts (20lbs) and a case of boneless skinless thighs (40lbs).

Getting ambitious and going to make all 60lbs :doh:. I don’t have definitive plans but initially thinking of making 3 batches out of the chicken and 2 batches of pork sausage. For the chicken going to do some form of a Pickle Mustard, a Wasabi Ginger and possibly a Cilantro Red Onion. For the pork I’m thinking of also doing a Wasabi version and then I picked up some malt extracts a while ago to try in sausage in a brat type. Saw a show where instead of adding beer they used malt extracts to give it more of a beer flavor than actually pouring in a beer. So we’ll see how that turns out :becky:

Here’s the run from RD this morning. I came for 2 things and left with 3 (saw beef ribs) so that is actually pretty good restraint :clap2:. I also stopped at the local asian market for some of the veggies and things that will also get stuffed into the sausage. Red onion, jalapenos, wasabi, etc.
LyS9BUMl.jpg

For larger batches like this I’ll sometimes break things up into 2 days with the first being grinding. A little more effort having to clean the grinder between different meats, but knocking it all out first makes the mixing/stuffing easy the next day. Breaking down (cubing) all that chicken and pork takes a little time, but luckily I've gotten my method down (relatively speaking)
IYBNH8yl.jpg

k3E6XYnl.jpg

aj5EsdKl.jpg

wOKuyDPl.jpg

oNCrHkXl.jpg

Put the grinder parts in the freezer
y7huVCdl.jpg

EPTuMSZl.jpg

Frozen part demonstration. I triple dog dare you (slight breach of etiquette)??
1DBswp5l.jpg

Grinding up the pork
y7huVCdl.jpg

EPTuMSZl.jpg

rcNJLdTl.png

eaWclMgl.jpg

xqygSVHl.jpg

Grinding up chicken
rE2PlqEl.jpg

nF4ppIvl.jpg

ygRZIUul.jpg

Soaking the casings for tomorrow
Fr0uutzl.jpg

8WkjkHMl.jpg

All this took about 90mins after getting things cleaned up. Then tomorrow I'll get the 5 different spice/ingredient batches ready and mix them together and stuff........in theory :pray:

You've got your hands full :shock:... and with additional supervision provided, all should go well. :wink:

All kidding aside, Baby TQ make an appearance and I just missed the news, or...?

You've got your hands full :shock:... and with additional supervision provided, all should go well. :wink:

All kidding aside, Baby TQ make an appearance and I just missed the news, or...?

He's subtlety in a pic above. Just became the earth over the weekend. Pretty cool stuff. Figured in his first few days home he should learn how to make sausage :becky:.

that kid doesn't stand a chance :wink: Congrats!

This is a correct statement :becky:

Also in general working on my sausage ingredient list for the 5 I'm going to make today. About to get them together and start stuffing here in a bit.

Jason
Please do not take this to personal, having a 3 day old child learning to make sausage is horrible.
Why did you wait so long time is precious!
Congratulations! Your cooks are amazing to bad I moved off of Three Forks Trickum in Lawrencville, GA over 15 years ago.

Last edited:
Jason
Please do not take this to personal, having a 3 day old child learning to make sausage is horrible.
Why did you wait so long time is precious!
Congratulations! Your cooks are amazing to bad I moved off of Three Forks Trickum in Lawrencville, GA over 15 years ago.

I hear ya. Getting lazy........:icon_blush:.

Tasting the Pick Mustard and holy crap is it good. Adding nothing to the recipe I guessed at quantities for pickles and mustard
fSpZsFMl.jpg

rvGkjT4l.jpg

9RDdfw7l.jpg

Stuffing it out and linking up
gg9Bu8El.jpg

kvRwhBGl.jpg

kBsPip4l.jpg

jR13fOYl.jpg

ZIT3FNfl.jpg

Same story on the Wasabi Ginger and the Red Onion Cilantro. Both awesome. Wasabi Ginger is my new favorite
lCo1bl1l.jpg

kk2YHMgl.jpg

RK1cKnCl.jpg

JzRA7mel.jpg

g8elGiul.jpg

WCOg8NEl.jpg

KkTrSJOl.jpg

xYeHUYgl.jpg

ZOEQf8El.jpg

RNPlDwTl.jpg

jJ1wjjfl.jpg

Aak09Bql.jpg

Might get the chicken into freezer bags tonight or maybe tomorrow. Still figuring out what to do to the pork that is ground up. But that will get done tomorrow as well.

Back