THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think the black stuff is actually mold... Dont quote me though. Whether it is safe to eat regularly i am not sure, but it is part of what increases the flavor of the beef via enzymes that break down various proteins. This IS a form of decay, but then so is beer so who am I to say its bad. Ive never had a dry aged steak

I think the black stuff is actually mold... Dont quote me though. Whether it is safe to eat regularly i am not sure, but it is part of what increases the flavor of the beef via enzymes that break down various proteins. This IS a form of decay, but then so is beer so who am I to say its bad. Ive never had a dry aged steak

I'm gonna eat it every chance I get!:laugh: All mold ain't bad,ask the FAMOUS Italian and NYC sausage makers.:wink:

...worth a thousand words.

Hoss,

I finished dinner from my BGE less than an hour ago, and you have me salivating. Beautiful steaks, excellent fotos!

Jim

It is not decayed,it is DRYaged.THE BEST PART! If you want to trim the rind,just wet age and there will be no rind.:wink: Trimming the rind defeats the purpose of DRY aging it.

no the concentrated flavor does not come from the dried/jerky outside. every butcher/ high end steakhouse i've talked to from here to chicago told me to cut off the decayed/dried meat when i started inquiring about doing it myself. have a local guy i showed how to dry age, he got sick by eating the rind but he thought it was fine. he was wrong. the aging actually happens inside the meat that doesn't discolor. the outside doesn't mold though it can if done improperly. the outside is basically decayed airdried jerky that hasn't been cured. it can be bad. it can be alright. its hit or miss. especially on a long day dry age.

I will sort of repeat myself on this thread. two things:
1. That is a real long time to be aging beef. Losing a lot of moisture content and creating a thicker than necessary band of blop that you should cut off.
2. The fat really responds to the aging. That combined with the moisture reduction in the meat creates and intensely beef flavor. That is why aging is best with highly marbled beef. A fat cap doesn't cut it. The fat needs to be in the beef.

Has anyone tried drybagsteak.com? Their product looks pretty interesting.

Maybe just me but 52 days seems to be a very long time to Dry Age beef at home. I can understand that in a professionally controlled environment meat can be aged properly.

Personally I would be very hesitant at trying to do it at home for that length of time. For one you do not know how much time has passed since butchering. I guess if you had your own beef and knew the slaughter house that processed the meat it could be a little safer.

No offense, I am not saying you did anything wrong, to each their own. I just do not think I would touch something aged that long in a standard refrigerator. Frankly it just scares me.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1674690 said:
Maybe just me but 52 days seems to be a very long time to Dry Age beef at home. I can understand that in a professionally controlled environment meat can be aged properly.

Personally I would be very hesitant at trying to do it at home for that length of time. For one you do not know how much time has passed since butchering. I guess if you had your own beef and knew the slaughter house that processed the meat it could be a little safer.

No offense, I am not saying you did anything wrong, to each their own. I just do not think I would touch something aged that long in a standard refrigerator. Frankly it just scares me.

I understand and respect your position.I think 45 days is plenty.

I will sort of repeat myself on this thread. two things:
1. That is a real long time to be aging beef. Losing a lot of moisture content and creating a thicker than necessary band of blop that you should cut off.
2. The fat really responds to the aging. That combined with the moisture reduction in the meat creates and intensely beef flavor. That is why aging is best with highly marbled beef. A fat cap doesn't cut it. The fat needs to be in the beef.

Has anyone tried drybagsteak.com? Their product looks pretty interesting.

I have seen posts on another forum where the bags were used.All feedback was positive.I think the trimming is personal preference.I certainly agree that more marbled meat is better suited for dryaging.After doing several of these anywhere from 28-52 days, I think 45 days is the sweet spot.

I'm another one of those people who know enough to trim the outside edges from dry aged beef. This is why rib loins are typically dry aged in an untrimmed form. In a commercial setting you normally see them with the rib bones still intact as well as a very thick fat cap. After aging they get very well trimmed and you are left with a nice "RED" piece of meat for the grill.

That black edge is rotten meat and really should be trimmed. I would not feed that to my family.

I'm another one of those people who know enough to trim the outside edges from dry aged beef. This is why rib loins are typically dry aged in an untrimmed form. In a commercial setting you normally see them with the rib bones still intact as well as a very thick fat cap. After aging they get very well trimmed and you are left with a nice "RED" piece of meat for the grill.

That black edge is rotten meat and really should be trimmed. I would not feed that to my family.

I respect that.We just have differing opinions on the subject and that's cool.Some trim,some don't.Not here to argue with anyone,just to share cooking ideas and methods.Be well.

I respect that.We just have differing opinions on the subject and that's cool.Some trim,some don't.Not here to argue with anyone,just to share cooking ideas and methods.Be well.

I'd have no problem eating those personally. Did you get that Kroger special cryovac'd choice? The 4.97/lb was a great sale and I found two very nice ones. Wish I had an extra fridge now.:-D

Just info!!:
"The process of dry-aging usually also promotes growth of certain fungal (mold) species on the external surface of the meat. This doesn't cause spoilage, but actually forms an external "crust" on the meat's surface, which is trimmed off when the meat is prepared for cooking. These fungal species complement the natural enzymes in the beef by helping to tenderize and increase the flavor of the meat. The genus Thamnidia, in particular, is known to produce collagenolytic enzymes which greatly contribute to the tenderness and flavor of dry-aged meat."

I'd have no problem eating those personally. Did you get that Kroger special cryovac'd choice? The 4.97/lb was a great sale and I found two very nice ones. Wish I had an extra fridge now.:-D

Yep,got at Kroger,in the cryovac,on sale.:thumb:

I've read crap load on the subject. While I respect your decision to keep the dark part, trimming is generally regarded as the accepted way. As mentioned above, that's why usually it's primals that are untrimmed nearly exclusive used for this purpose. They have less surface area allowing the enzymes to work on the meat while minimizing the amount of edible meat that needs to be trimmed. You'd never ever see an untrimmed dry aged steak served at a top tier restaurant. Also, to reiterate what some of the folks above have been saying, that is the reason that aged prime meat is so expensive. Shrinkage plus trimming accounts for a large amount of loss of weight. Prices are attributed to starting price/pound to end price/pound plus time and effort calculated from the total price paid. Monitoring humidity is generally used both as safety means to ensure minimal spoilage and as well as to minimize shrinkage while achieving maximal flavor to cost. I've read many many opinions on proper humidity but somewhere between 70-85% seem to be most often quoted.

Just some fun links for those interested:
http://www.beefresearch.org/CMDocs/BeefResearch/Dry Aging of Beef.pdf
YouTube - ‪Good Eats S5E4P1: Celebrity Roast‬‏

Hoss: Please don't take my reply as any sort of criticism of your way about this. If it works for you and you feel comfortable with it by all means. I'm just writing those as others might be interested in doing the same and "knowledge is power". Thanks for this thread!

Back