45lbs of brisket hangin in a UDS!

Here is what I use to hang meat

DSC01961.jpg

Nothing falls-off

Works great in A Bandera because I have fairly even heat in the part of the smoker that the meat is hanging. In a drum (without the extension) I'd be concerned that the lower part of the meat, much closer to a direct heat source would cook to fast, dry out or burn. Depending on what the mix of meats I'm cooking, I like to hang ribs and briskets.

Those would be nice, but we aint near that fancy round here. I am using stainless steel welding rod, cut in half and bent in a Z.

LOL I guess in a regular drum you might be able to hang a fattie.

Those would be nice, but we aint near that fancy round here. I am using stainless steel welding rod, cut in half and bent in a Z.

LOL I guess in a regular drum you might be able to hang a fattie.

For me they were great insurance. Cost about $4, meat hangs straight and I don't have to worry about $20+ worth of meat sitting at the bottom of my smoker.

For me they were great insurance. Cost about $4, meat hangs straight and I don't have to worry about $20+ worth of meat sitting at the bottom of my smoker.

Where do you get them? Just might need to add the wifes Christmas shopping list.

Fark, I'm hungry. snowin like a bitch and I'm workin....hows that brisket coming?

Also, how does that extension seal? I have a 1/3 drum extension on mine and does not seal well at all. I fight temps when I use it. ruined a crapload of jerky because of it.

Fark, I'm hungry. snowin like a bitch and I'm workin....hows that brisket coming?

Also, how does that extension seal? I have a 1/3 drum extension on mine and does not seal well at all. I fight temps when I use it. ruined a crapload of jerky because of it.

The brisket is hangin in the 160 range, it's been there for a while. Man it is lookin good.

If you look at the picture you will see that I have it on an open top drum. It is a balancing act put once I get it lined up I lock the clamp in place and get a real good seal. My other drum I had to cut the lid on it, I figured I would have to use a foil gasket to get a decent seal.

So, how did it all turn out? Inquiring minds and all....

James.

Those old german and czech meat markets in TX cook their brisket real hot compared to what I think is normal. Good stuff, so I wouldn't worry about temperature so much.

It all turned out pretty well. BTW, I did have one brisket hit the grate but it wasnt a lose. Honestly I think it was my own fault as I had to remove the extension and get serious about adding fuel to the fire. Keeping in mind this is the first time I have ever had to cook for this many I was pretty happy with the timing, I pulled the last of it at around 2:15. Which was good timing to allow for packing it in the coolers for transport and to leave at 4. We didnt eat until just after 6 and everything was still like it had just come off the smoker.

I overheard several favorable comments from flavor to "I could cut it with my fork". Sorry but the camera never left the house. Due to the weather there were not as many people as they had expected so there is a ton left over. (over half) So I split the cost with the guy and brought home the rest!!

I do have to say, even though I need to make some changes as far as the extension goes, I am sold on hanging stuff. These were the second Briskets I have done and they are by far the most tender,and moist,and have a deep smoke ring that I have turned out. Of course maybe I am just getting better at selecting the meat.

In the end, everyone seemed satisfied with the end result.

Back