4-Hour Brisket Done (Pron attached)

Great job Paul. I was just in a comp and took dead arse last place in brisket so I applaud your work. Maybe next time I'll roll hot and fast. Heck can't do much worse! ;)

maybe the laws of physics cease to exist in his smoker, or maybe he used magic grits...

Maybe he bought the brisket from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans... LOL

That being said, my last 12-lb choice brisket was pulled 3.5 hours after going on. It ran about 325* in the WSM (had to crack the lid a bit to do this), and was pulled around 200* with a nearly smooth as butter probe test. After a 90 minute rest, it sliced like magic. I also separated the flat & point and trimmed it entirely of fat. I found that doing so made NO difference in the brisket being juicy vs. dry.

No injection, no marinade, just a rub - it was panned for the cook, though, and foiled over at 165*. It actually looked very similar to jimmy's, and from his description, tasted similar as well (I separated the Au Jus as well).

Here's the thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81796

The thread seems to have been hijacked with a discussion of brisket prices, but.....

I'm in central Iowa and just pd 4.99 a lb for a choice brisket at a local grocer that generally has prices competitive with Costco and Sams. It floored me.

Next time at the check out, wink with your left eye and say"GO HAWKS"
$1.78 lb anywhere in Iowa.

Ed

Alright ya talked me into it I'll try it one more time!:mrgreen:

Great job Wheel, your doing great! AND you have answered the age old question... if ONE person attends BOTH Mike Mills AND Myron Mixon's classes, will they spontaneously explode. The answer is obviously no.

Their styles are vastly different and I would LIKE to say they both make great Q. You should notice a significant difference in your Q quality after attending Mryons class now.

wheeltarapin:

Thanks for the kick in the pants on this method. I have been wanting to try it for a couple of years now. Patio Daddio has also had a post on his blog about hot and fast brisket for about a year and everytime I looked at it I was thinking "I gotta try that."

The main problem with me doing it was my Chargriller Outlaw. There is no way to afford the fuel it takes to get that thing to 300 degrees for 4 hours. It just wasn't practical. I have found that my UDS has a much bigger range of possible temperatures and is easy on the fuel.

So, I tried it, finally. It worked and I'm hoping to try it again soon.

Last edited:
Ok you guys got me intrested and a brisket will be bought at the beginning of next week for a hot and fast run. Thanks for the inspiration Paul.

I've been Q-ing since I was young but I'm new to getting this technical about Q-ing. I have an UDS and I'm doing a brisket this weekend. It's about 22 lbs, and I will be injecting it with my homemade stuff with my own rub. From the sounds of you guys I need to keep the UDS from 250-300 but do I put the slab-o-beef in a pan with water, no water, pan of water below? What is the best method. I'm new to using the UDS so I could use the info.

drewcountry,

All you have to do is put the brisket on the grill fat side down. No other pans are necessary. I chose to "foil" mine after it reached 160 degrees, but it's not necessary. If you want to save the drippings of the brisket, which some people like to do, you can put the brisket in a pan after it reaches about 160 - 170 and cover the pan with foil until the brisket reaches 200 - 205 degrees.

Take a look at this link for more details-
http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2009/02/hot-fast-bbq-beef-brisket.html

If you want to save the drippings of the brisket, which some people like to do, you can put the brisket in a pan after it reaches about 160 - 170 and cover the pan with foil until the brisket reaches 200 - 205 degrees.
Note: Just because it gets to 200°-205° does not mean it will be tender. Nothing works better than the probe/butter test. A hot/fast briskie requires much more attention than a low/slow briskie.

I know this post hasn't been active in a while, but this thread is great and I have a related question. =)

Cooking Myrons method of brisket from one of his books. When you cooked the one from your 4 Hour Brisket post, did you cook it with the point on and then cut it off when you were ready to do burnt ends, say at 2 hours in?

I know you didn't cook the burnt ends, but I'm curious as to when I should cut that flat off during the cook.

Thanks,

Jesse

Back