4-Hour Brisket Done (Pron attached)

First and only time I saw a HEB was while on a trip to Austin. Also the first and only time I've seen Dallas Cowboy paper towels and charcoal ;)

Good Lookin Briskets for sure.. Im fixin to toss on my 15.5 lber. HEBs are only located in south Texas. I think the closest one up north is Stephenville. There might be one in the DFW area. Not sure.. I love the HEBs when we go back to the RGV. Ill be cooking my brisket in the 260-275* range. I need it done mid afternoon so I can give it a good rest before my company arives. Hope it doesnt rain all day.

its a store... I still cannot believe I got 50 choice packers last year at 88 cents a pound. When you loom at my dalmatian rub video, notice how floppy they are.

I can't wait to see if they do it again after memorial day.

Good luck on the elcheepo prices this year Donny. I had to pay $2.47/lb. wholesale for a case of choice briskets two weeks ago and was told prices will continue to rise throughout the summer.

Nice job Paul. I'm hoping to be down your way at the end of the month. We have an aunt who just moved from Quitman to Conway and we pass right through Searcy everytime we go down.

The thread seems to have been hijacked with a discussion of brisket prices, but.....

I'm in central Iowa and just pd 4.99 a lb for a choice brisket at a local grocer that generally has prices competitive with Costco and Sams. It floored me.

regardless if it took 4 or 6 hours, and 300 degrees or 250 - it looks like you have a great brisket there and you learned quite a bit from the cooking class..overall, I would say a great success! Congrats!

Thanks for posting your results Paul. I had success on my first highandfast brisket and will definitely try it again.

Ok Gang, having attended Myron's cooking class and learning his 4-hour brisket cook procedure I tried it this morning on my WSM.

I purchased a 12.2 pound Packer Brisket from Walmart, trimmed it up, made up a little over a quart of injection, injected half in the brisket and poured the rest over it in a plastic bag with the fat side up. Let it marinate overnight in the bag for about 16 hours, removed from the bag and let it set at room temperature for a couple of hours and then applied the rub.

I used Stubbs briquettes with some apple and peach wood chunks. Kept the smoker temperature between 250 - 300 degrees and at exactly the four hour mark the internal temperature of the brisket, at the thickest part, was 205, my target temperature. I was using a Maverick ET-73 probe but backed this probe up with a Thermapen and they both read 205.

I now have it wrapped up in a heavy blanket and will let it rest for a couple of hours.

I will report back how it turned out with some pron. If this comes out as good as Myron's there will be no more low and slow for me for brisket.

How much did you trim it up? 1/4 or 1/8 inch fat and did you cook it fat down or up? The pic looks like fat down.
I am defiantly going to try this my briskets are inconsistent.

Thanks for sharing
John

That is a great looking Brisket. I'll take your word on the Flavor and tenderness. I'll have to try the Hot and fast some time. Thanks for sharing!

Possibly another factor???

He did include that he let it sit at room temperature for two hours, then applied the rub.

Not knowing what room temp is where the cook took place, I would say that the temp of the meat started about 60-70 degrees (30 degrees higher than some others start)?

Additionally, the trim and injection has to be a big factor in the equation. If you really want to know if it is possible or not...you could always put some money on it aka the Whiskey Bent BBQ way.

Any thoughts?

Vince I just foiled the water pan and left it dry.

Paul

For this cook did you use a water pan, pan with water, dry pan, pan with clay pot/sand or no water pan at all? Just looking at the temps and I'm scratching my head. Maybe there is something to this injecting/marinading.

I have tried a few high heaters (325-350*) and the results were pretty good. 4 hours or less, however I am still experiencing with the fat up or down debate in my wsm. Trying fat up for an entire cook today to see how it goes. Thanks for sharing. Vince

Your welcome Neil, the least I can do after all the help the Brethren have given me of which I am grateful for.

Paul

Thanks for posting your results Paul. I had success on my first highandfast brisket and will definitely try it again.

John on the non-fat side I trimmed all of the fat off as close as I could get it. On the fat side I trimmed all of the fat off of the point as I planned to make some burnt ends but did not do this in the end.

I cooked the brisket Fat Side down.

Paul

How much did you trim it up? 1/4 or 1/8 inch fat and did you cook it fat down or up? The pic looks like fat down.
I am defiantly going to try this my briskets are inconsistent.

Thanks for sharing
John

Chris your guess would be as good as mine as far as the age of the brisket. How do you tell the age? Is it on the package somewhere? It was in a cryovac package.

Paul,

How old was the brisket? A wet aged brisket will cook a little faster too.

Your dead on with the starting temperature as it was 70 degrees according the Maverick ET-73.

He did include that he let it sit at room temperature for two hours, then applied the rub.

Not knowing what room temp is where the cook took place, I would say that the temp of the meat started about 60-70 degrees (30 degrees higher than some others start)?

Additionally, the trim and injection has to be a big factor in the equation. If you really want to know if it is possible or not...you could always put some money on it aka the Whiskey Bent BBQ way.

Any thoughts?

u took the temp of your meat before u threw it in? lol buddy ur alright

Moe posts, more posts!:clap2:
More Info, More info!:clap2:

Results, pictures, thesis papers, expert opinions....I am glued to the screen!!
Come on guys and gals...I am dying to see some concensus reached on this Low Slow v. Hot Fast brisket contest. Then I read the same contoversy using Pork Butts. Place your bets, place your bets, will it be hundreds of years of conventional wisdom or will Myron's method turn history on its' head???? Film at 11 on WBBQ News Channel 1

This could do 2 things: give me more time to to stuff I try to avoid OR allow me to so some of those things I actually want to do. Course my lovely bride of 3 years will have the say on which one I do with the extra time!!:drama:

Popdaddy since I am no expert and I am always trying to learn I carefully document each cook I do. I record the starting temperatures and about each hour make additional recordings of the time, meat temperature and cooker temperature. I am not a competition cook and never have been, just an old man who likes to cook for my family. This is probably only the 3rd brisket I have ever cooked in my life and this was one reason I went to Myron's Class and that was to learn how to cook. I also attended Troy Blacks cooking class and Mike Mills cooking class trying to learn how to cook a piece of meat that was eatable. I also spend a lot of time on this forum trying to learn from fine folks like yourself and again I appreciate all of the brethren who contribute to this forum.

Paul

u took the temp of your meat before u threw it in? lol buddy ur alright

Back