3 hour HOT AND FAST brisket results

for pulled pork I dont add rub until after its pulled. I do salt first mostly as a dry brine. the theory is if you salt long enough the drawn out moisture is pulled back in carrying the salt with it.

Ive read that several times. Conventional wisdom is ever changing. it used to be you never presalted meat. who knows what it'll be tomorrow :)

Lunchie, I have enjoyed a lot of your posts here. You are unconventional thinker a bunch of the time and it is usually pretty interesting. :thumb: :thumb: 500* on brisket...wow! That is something that has scares me to do even though a lot of guys have done it pretty hot. How was the smoke on it? I am guessing it was there but lighter? I want to try it on my UDS but am not sure I can hold 400+ without modifications?

Lunchie, I have enjoyed a lot of your posts here. You are unconventional thinker a bunch of the time and it is usually pretty interesting. :thumb: :thumb: 500* on brisket...wow! That is something that has scares me to do even though a lot of guys have done it pretty hot. How was the smoke on it? I am guessing it was there but lighter? I want to try it on my UDS but am not sure I can hold 400+ without modifications?

Thanks man!! :thumb:

smoke was ... different. it was slightly more pronounced which is a good thing as cooking hot and fast usually has less smoke flavor.

but knowing that I normally get a light smoke flavor,t I put a bunch of hickory chunks in there and I got white smoke from BEGINNING TO END. at first the white smoke was the chunks, but then I found out when I pulled the meat out that the cooker was so hot(600 degrees)that fat was literally falling off the meat into the pan and instantly vaporising back up as smoke. you can see it in the pics.

so a good combination of wood smoke and fat dripping smoke.

ahh. you can get 500 degrees in a uds easy. load your basket with coals and leave all the dampers wide open :)

You can parboil meat fast also, or zap it in a nuclear oven. If you are happy I am shickled feckless.
Rudy's BBQ is not going to be happy with you :)

Larry

Pretty impressive experiment and results. I would have never thought of doing that, so I am glad that you did!

Pretty impressive experiment and results. I would have never thought of doing that, so I am glad that you did!

if its good enough for first place brisket, its good enough for me :)

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273041

Grand Champions and that’s our 50th career GC for Clark Crew BBQand one we will damn sure never forget. Some alarm issues this morning and I overslept BIG TIME!!!Needless to say Brisket was rolling at 530deg for a while done in 3hrs 20 minutes ....next level ****, I wouldn’t try that if it wasn’t a Snake River Farms Coopdog had to get up and help and he was a huge help. We had fun still. Needless to say, I was extremely mad at myself but I didn’t quit, I just figured it out. I’d also like to thank Jamie Geer for the most universal pit in the world.
Thanks to Kimberly and the girls for getting me loaded to roll out after getting home Wednesday night from Minneapolis....not bad for a 1 day turnaround.
5th Chicken
3rd Ribs
11th Pork (Couldn’t take the heat like Brisket could)
1st Brisket
1st Place Overall Grand Champion

Last edited:
Ive read that several times. Conventional wisdom is ever changing. it used to be you never presalted meat. who knows what it'll be tomorrow :)

My experience with brisket is that salt and moisture lost, which includes sweating during plateau, doesn't make a dry brisket. Brisket needs the proteins to denature which will result in a moist brisket. Lots of people struggle with brisket because they are afraid of overcooking, which in other beef products can led to a dry protein.

I cook brisket on the FEC for 8 hrs at 180* before kicking the temps up, I can assure you that my briskets come out very moist.

I have a friend that will cook briskets hot and fast on his can(yeah in the 500* range), I ask him when he knows it's time to flip them? His response is that you will know by the smell!:thumb:

Thanks for sharing.....

My experience with brisket is that salt and moisture lost, which includes sweating during plateau, doesn't make a dry brisket. Brisket needs the proteins to denature which will result in a moist brisket. Lots of people struggle with brisket because they are afraid of overcooking, which in other beef products can led to a dry protein.

I cook brisket on the FEC for 8 hrs at 180* before kicking the temps up, I can assure you that my briskets come out very moist.

I have a friend that will cook briskets hot and fast on his can(yeah in the 500* range), I ask him when he knows it's time to flip them? His response is that you will know by the smell!:thumb:

Thanks for sharing.....

yea I dont think cook temp matters as much as some would believe. my mentor used to say it's not how you get there but how you finish. best pit is more determined by rubs, cooker, trim, ect.

OP is at a fun time in their bbq journey, learning alot in a short period and every new breakthrough is an epiphany. its alot like when a person finds religion for the first time.

Thanks for sharing.....

Millions of people cook their brisket with salt and get great results. Some use tons of salt and get great results. But I know many people on this board and in real life who struggle with brisket flat. Ie no srf or wagyu, or even prime, just choice or select. The struggle is real.

If it's not working for those people the conventional way they should try something different.

yea I dont think cook temp matters as much as some would believe. my mentor used to say it's not how you get there but how you finish. best pit is more determined by rubs, cooker, trim, ect.

Cook temp does indeed matter very much-just maybe not to the +-1 degree I used to go for :D

Yield is a big factor in selling proteins so there are studies out there, some even govt sponsored that compare cook temp and yield. In all cases I've read, higher cooking temperature = higher yield.

That works really well for meats where you cook to an internal temp and we are finding out that it works for barbecue meats too.

Back