3 hour HOT AND FAST brisket results

el luchador

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
EL Luchador
I rarely cook brisket, but Ive been cooking the other meats using a method that has given me excellent results, and I wanted to see if it would work on that most fickle of meats - brisket flat!

My technique is two things.

1. cook hot : at least 400 degrees
2. dont presalt the meat.

it works for pork, chicken, turkey, brisket point, lets see if it works for a whole packer.

so here is the packer. I found out looking at the pic later that it is choice.Its a small packer too.
bSl2MNY.jpg

I put it on at approx 5:30pm

today I was gunning for a 500 degree cook
3amOmhz.jpg

after 45 minutes it was humming along and the goal was to let it smoke for two hours before foiling. I checked at one hour and 15 minutes and the cooker was rolling at 600 degrees !!!. the meat looked like this so I quickly pulled it off.

yKkMr0V.jpg

A3BIkgy.jpg

I also had a picnic in there. Char-broil Kamander cooker. the only smoker/grill I own. I use it for both grilling and smoking . Yes, its awesome, and the price is awesome.

I wrapped the meat TIGHTLY in foil and put it back on the smoker and added some water to the pan. I normally NEVER do this but I needed to bring the temp down to 500 degrees. It ended up coming back down to 450

after about another hour and 15 minutes tightly in foil, it probed tender. more tender than any brisket I ever cooked has probed. So this is what they mean by probing like butta. I pulled it off the cooker just before 8:30pm : 3 hours cook time.

I let it rest for 45 minutes and went and cut into it.

fRd8RSW.jpg

XCzlmdX.jpg

yep, hot and fast unsalted works for brisket flat too!!!

no more 12 hour active hold when I can start the brisket 4 hours before meal time and have it ready to eat.

Last edited:
Looks nice and tender, so good job! What's the idea behind not salting it prior to cooking? I can understand not putting on a sugary rub since the sugars will burn at those temps, but salt won't burn until well beyond those temps.

It all looks Great! I have a question on the OP. Is this brisket a packer (with point) or just the flat? Hard to tell from the label.

Looks nice and tender, so good job! What's the idea behind not salting it prior to cooking? I can understand not putting on a sugary rub since the sugars will burn at those temps, but salt won't burn until well beyond those temps.

I found that the meat was more juicy after being cooked. I also feel like leftovers stay more juicy if they are not salted before being put away.

Just guessing here but there is a thought that salting first draws moisture out of the meat. Going so hot and fast with no water bath might otherwise extract too much moisture, resulting in a tough dry result?

Me personally I think I'd prefer the extended gentle time of a water bath @ 300F max with some salt and pepper at a minimum. A few more hours. A beer or cider and some gardening etc.

But it's not about that. The OP is showing us if you want super hot and fast, you can do it.

Smokin Aussie,

Correct. I've found the meat to be more moist when unsalted. That goes for low heat cooking too, not just hot and fast.

I also feel that the meat remains more meat-like

Interesting. It looks like you cooked pork picnic along with brisket. Are you using any sort of heat deflector between the meat and the coal?

I've cooked ~10 lb brisket on my kamado at around 275-300 F in about 3 1/2 hours. Granted that was just one brisket but I've cooked other small briskets at around 4-5 hours at similar temps.

3 hours seems kind of long at 500-600 F. I bet if you didn't cook the pork picnic with it, it would've finished in like 2 hours or less.

Wonder what, if any, effect the butt sitting on top of the brisket had...not talking heat wise or cook time, but fat and juices dripping down on the brisket...? (Assuming that the position in the picture was how it was cooking...)

Interesting. It looks like you cooked pork picnic along with brisket. Are you using any sort of heat deflector between the meat and the coal?

I've cooked ~10 lb brisket on my kamado at around 275-300 F in about 3 1/2 hours. Granted that was just one brisket but I've cooked other small briskets at around 4-5 hours at similar temps.

3 hours seems kind of long at 500-600 F. I bet if you didn't cook the pork picnic with it, it would've finished in like 2 hours or less.

you know, thats a good point. the packer was a small one and it may have taken that long due to the added mass of the picnic. Can you imagine a 2 hour brisket that still turns out well? that would be something to see.

Hi, I was also using a pan below the meat.

Wonder what, if any, effect the butt sitting on top of the brisket had...not talking heat wise or cook time, but fat and juices dripping down on the brisket...? (Assuming that the position in the picture was how it was cooking...)

the position in the pic is how it cooked, with the picnic above the packer. interesting thought for sure, maybe a natural type of basting?

you might be on to something :thumb:

Last edited:
Back