270 Smoker out of commission for the weekend

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Hey you with the face!
So yeah got that ugly discoloration cleared up recently. Chemical cocktail of so many looney ideas that I lost track of and it removed the stain. Polished it up and now touched up some small nicks with rustoleum black. Matched darn near perfect. Then I removed the intake sliding vent. Grabbed some steel wool and cleaned off the rust. The heat seems to have caused the red to fail. Not a huge deal. Besides it let me customize it a bit. I grabbed high heat primer good up to 2000 degrees. Then some green high heat duplacolor engine paint. Good to 500 degrees. Finally going to put a clear coat good to 2000 degrees. I imagine it should protect it from heat. If it fails I did see red good up until 2000 degrees. Hoping the three layers of primer, paint, and clear will keep it from burning off.
I got a few minor ideas I want to try to give my sumo some personality.
I will add some pics when it is all done. I got nothing else to do since school is over and I have still not been called back to work. Hopefully we go back soon but until then going to get some things done around the house.

So yeah got that ugly discoloration cleared up recently. Chemical cocktail of so many looney ideas that I lost track of and it removed the stain. Polished it up and now touched up some small nicks with rustoleum black. Matched darn near perfect. Then I removed the intake sliding vent. Grabbed some steel wool and cleaned off the rust. The heat seems to have caused the red to fail. Not a huge deal. Besides it let me customize it a bit. I grabbed high heat primer good up to 2000 degrees. Then some green high heat duplacolor engine paint. Good to 500 degrees. Finally going to put a clear coat good to 2000 degrees. I imagine it should protect it from heat. If it fails I did see red good up until 2000 degrees. Hoping the three layers of primer, paint, and clear will keep it from burning off.
I got a few minor ideas I want to try to give my sumo some personality.
I will add some pics when it is all done. I got nothing else to do since school is over and I have still not been called back to work. Hopefully we go back soon but until then going to get some things done around the house.

your whole entire post sounds wacky and 100% unnatural. Why did you have to do this with the smoker? This is an awesome smoker. It sounds to me like you ruined it

your whole entire post sounds wacky and 100% unnatural. Why did you have to do this with the smoker? This is an awesome smoker. It sounds to me like you ruined it

LOL. Of course it does. I suppose if you knew the full story. It may not sound wacky. 1 the smoker had the official cover on and the sun caused the powdercoat to react and discolor it in a weird way. Letters from the cover showed up on the door. No idea why. Used a bunch of different chemicals to remove said stain/discoloration. This worked just fine. Actually restored the finish on the door.Never know it was discolored if you looked 2. The intake gets alot of heat and the powder failed. So rather than using red as original I used green. My favorite color. My personal preferance. Its not yours so... Not sure why you give a chit.

Per 270smokers.com https://270smokers.com/products/touch-up-paint
They recommend rustoleum touch up paint for small scratches. Which is exactly what I used.

Seriously, why do you open your mouth when you got no idea what you are talking about?

If I want to paint my smoker hot pink I can. Why? I earned it. I paid for it. So its mine. Don't like it? To bad. Move on.
Only thing I changed was the sliding vent color which was already in need of clean up. I have had it awhile. I like green. I used green. I could use red and be true to the original color. Its a smoker. Not a 1957 Ford T-Bird. I used high temp primer, paint, and clear coat.
Its normal over the years to need to touch up a smoker.

Oh I ripped off the chitty felt gaskets too and put them in the trash. Never lasted long for me. I upgraded to rope gaskets purchased through 270smokers.com. They prefer felt. Discouraged rope gaskets because of the difficulty of installation. I went for it and haven't looked back. Much better durability imo. Really pleased with the rope gaskets.

Cooks great and I have gotten a few awards with it.

The 270 is my farking work horse. I use it for comps, family cook outs, birthday parties, and whenever I feel like it. All smokers get nicks when they are a working pit.

Since you don't know me, my posts are meant to be a bit unhinged and wacky. I like it that way. If you don't then move on. Good day to you madam.

Well I never knew what 270 is but, now I do for sure. So it's a good day. Learned something new :-D Also intrigued about the rope gasket as an eventual replacement on the MB 560

How about some pictures of your mods. I honestly cannot think someone would think you ruined your smoker by doing your mods. Your smoker do it your way. Way to go.

OP making me feel lazy. I’ve needed to steel brush and repaint my current SOB-4/34 since I bought off CL. A couple years ago.
Feels. I loved that 270 when they came about. I’ve downsized from 20 to 5 cookers. But that 270 was blipping the radar once upon a time. Shower it with care.

It's satisfying to be able to take your time and do a nice job on a project. Congrats on the paint and rope upgrade!

Glad to hear you got it fixed. We know that was working overtime on your OCD. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Glad to hear you got it fixed. We know that was working overtime on your OCD. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If I hadn't paid so much for it then it wouldn't have driven me nuts. Its not likely I will get another high end smoker. I paid for it with $1 bills mostly. No financing at all. So I better take care of it. I remember apologizing to the clerk at Mason Dixon BBQ for all the $1 bills. The clerk was nice. I think he understood how long it took to save up cash for it. I think I was 29 or 30 at the time. So it was like Christmas. Second brisket cook on it got a third place call at an unsanctioned event.

Back